Best option for 6.5 PRC

I am mildly obsessed with the 6.5 PRC right now and am looking for recommendation for a rifle around $1300 or under. I am a savage fan and was all set to buy the 110 high country, but then saw that the magazine only carries holds 2 rounds for the 6.5 PRC. Other calibers hold 3-4. This is probably a deal breaker. I don't carry one in the chamber so it only gives me one followup shot without reloading. Not often to need more than that but seems ridiculous to have a gun that can only hold two. I called savage and they have no plans to offer an extended magazine that is compatible. That opened up the field a bit.

I am still considering savage and going with a 110 tactical since that magazine can hold 7. Wish there was an option for a stainless barrel though. Also interested in the Browning X bolt line - either the hells canyon speed or hells canyon long range.I have never had any experience with Christensen Arms but looks like the Mesa is in that price range (curious how many rounds the mesa magazine holds since I can't find that on their website).

I read a few threads on here that had some info and a ton of other stuff online but nothing discussing quite this topic. Any and all opinions appreciated.

Also interested what load everyone is using. The ELDX 143 seems to be popular from what I see with pretty good results with factory loads.

Thanks in advance.

Dhbwa

WKR
I had a Mesa and it shot well and operated great. Just not as light as advertised.
My one Browning is a HCS in 6.5CM and it’s great also but almost any Creed will shoot.....
You can also convert a Tikka T3 in 6.5 CM to PRC for ~$350.....

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I have a Christiensen Mesa in 6.5 prc and love it. I considered the Tikka and put money into it route. I penciled it out and decided the Mesa was the way for me.

Wolf-killer

Lil-Rokslider
I would look at a Seekins PH2, you can get a discount code on snipers hide and will be right at $1300
they use a magpie clip so I thing you could get a bigger one.
I just recently got a Seekins 6mm credmor and it shoots .25 moa at 200yds with factory ammo

OP
uppercut11
I had a Mesa and it shot well and operated great. Just not as light as advertised.
My one Browning is a HCS in 6.5CM and it’s great also but almost any Creed will shoot.....
Do you like your Mesa or HCS better as a rifle in terms of all around feel, etc? I know it is not apples to apples as they are different calibers but if you were to buy another rifle in one of those two lines which would you go with?

OP
uppercut11
I have a Christiensen Mesa in 6.5 prc and love it. I considered the Tikka and put money into it route. I penciled it out and decided the Mesa was the way for me.
Glad you are happy with it! Are you shooting factory or hand loads? What kind of groups do you get with it? How many does it hold in the magazine? That is something I was not able to find in any of the info from their webpage.

OP
uppercut11
I would look at a Seekins PH2, you can get a discount code on snipers hide and will be right at $1300
they use a magpie clip so I thing you could get a bigger one.
I just recently got a Seekins 6mm credmor and it shoots .25 moa at 200yds with factory ammo
That is intersting. I am not familiar with Seekins at all. I looked through their website after seeing your reply and will have to look into them more. What convinced you to go with them?

I’ve seen two different used 6.5 PRC Bergara HMR Pro’s on various classifieds for the $900 range recently. I don’t know if folks are frustrated with lack of ammo/components and bailing on them or what, but that’s a steal.

My 6.5 CM HMR Pro is a phenomenal rifle.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Glad you are happy with it! Are you shooting factory or hand loads? What kind of groups do you get with it? How many does it hold in the magazine? That is something I was not able to find in any of the info from their webpage.
It holds 3 in the mag.

I was shooting factory 147 eld-m sub MOA. I switched to @Unknown Munitions 156 bergers similar groups. I shot my bear this year at 500. Both shots were within 4 inches of each other. The ES is tighter with Unknowns ammo.

Here are my 3 averages for speed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200817-204251_KILO 2400 AB.jpg
    Screenshot_20200817-204251_KILO 2400 AB.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 81

Dhbwa

WKR
Do you like your Mesa or HCS better as a rifle in terms of all around feel, etc? I know it is not apples to apples as they are different calibers but if you were to buy another rifle in one of those two lines which would you go with?
Tough call. In a PRC probably the Mesa but I am a lightweight nut......

slowelk

WKR
That is intersting. I am not familiar with Seekins at all. I looked through their website after seeing your reply and will have to look into them more. What convinced you to go with them?

All of those discount codes expired 7/1/2020. I just paid retail for a PH2 in 300 win mag, the price was not a deal breaker with all the satisfaction guarantees they have. The rifle feels good in the hands, and the action is smooth. I have 90-120 days until I receive mine, but handling one at Scheels sealed the deal for me.

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
you can check out the sauer 100. I would say its very comparable to a tikka prices range from $600 to $1000 depending on your features. mine shoot on average 1/2 to 3/4 moa which is as good as i can shoot

JakeSCH

WKR

Same experience with my Mesa in 6.5 PRC. Shoots lights out with hand loads .3 MOA or better but my rifle came in at 7 # 12 oz, which was way more than I thought I was buying.

I will eventually swap out the stock and save ~ 1 lb.

OP
uppercut11
Same experience with my Mesa in 6.5 PRC. Shoots lights out with hand loads .3 MOA or better but my rifle came in at 7 # 12 oz, which was way more than I thought I was buying.

I will eventually swap out the stock and save ~ 1 lb.
Do you mind sharing your hand load recipe?

OP
uppercut11
you can check out the sauer 100. I would say its very comparable to a tikka prices range from $600 to $1000 depending on your features. mine shoot on average 1/2 to 3/4 moa which is as good as i can shoot
How's the trigger on the sauer? Are you shooting factory or hand loads?

OP
uppercut11
All of those discount codes expired 7/1/2020. I just paid retail for a PH2 in 300 win mag, the price was not a deal breaker with all the satisfaction guarantees they have. The rifle feels good in the hands, and the action is smooth. I have 90-120 days until I receive mine, but handling one at Scheels sealed the deal for me.
Were the discounts some kind of promotional thing? Did they just start making rifles?