Best option for 6.5 PRC

OP
uppercut11
It holds 3 in the mag.

I was shooting factory 147 eld-m sub MOA. I switched to @Unknown Munitions 156 bergers similar groups. I shot my bear this year at 500. Both shots were within 4 inches of each other. The ES is tighter with Unknowns ammo.

Here are my 3 averages for speed.
Thanks for sharing. Looks like speeds were pretty close to advertised with the 24" barrel. Anybody shooting a 26" barrel and know their speeds with the 143 or 147 hornady factory loads?

OP
uppercut11
I’ve seen two different used 6.5 PRC Bergara HMR Pro’s on various classifieds for the $900 range recently. I don’t know if folks are frustrated with lack of ammo/components and bailing on them or what, but that’s a steal.

My 6.5 CM HMR Pro is a phenomenal rifle.
Maybe people didn't realize how heavy it was when they bought it! Website says 9.3-9.8 lbs! What does yours weigh?

LightFoot

WKR
In the $1300 range, I would go with the Browning.

Short Action Custom makes a 2 round holder that can be mounted on the stock for quick reload. That would make the Savage work for you.

Like previously mentioned, converting a Tikka 6.5 would be a good investment for under $1300.

>>>----JAKE----->

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
How's the trigger on the sauer? Are you shooting factory or hand loads?
The trigger is the best factory trigger I’ve used. It’s adjustable and breaks cleanly. Factory loads are a solid 3/4moa hand loads I’ve shot 6 shot 1/2 Moa groups at 200 but that’s when I’m on the rifle is better than I am.

What does it take to convert a Tikka 6.5 CM to a PRC? Just the barrel or is there more to it?
No gunsmith if someone is halfway mechanically competent.
1. Magnum bolt face action
2. SA Magnum magazine (HCA or similar)
3. Prefit barrel from Patriot Valley, Preferred, or similar
4. Barrel vise and action wrench

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Vandy321

WKR
Do you mind sharing your hand load recipe?

Unless you just like to spend time prepping brass or loading rounds, you dont have to hand load to shoot sub .5s. My 6.5 PrC is shooting .3s with factory hornady match ammo. SAAMI spec'd chamber.

2961fps from 26" bbl

I would look at a Seekins PH2, you can get a discount code on snipers hide and will be right at $1300
they use a magpie clip so I thing you could get a bigger one.
I just recently got a Seekins 6mm credmor and it shoots .25 moa at 200yds with factory ammo

Only standard bolt face short action Havak PHs use the magpuls. The PRC and long action magnums have a different bottom metal that uses seekins carbon fiber mags with 3.14 and 3.9” COAL capabilities.

Edit: the 3.14" mags in the havak is a nice benefit the other options don't have if you want to load something like the 156 bergers.

Last edited:
Maybe people didn't realize how heavy it was when they bought it! Website says 9.3-9.8 lbs! What does yours weigh?

Mine is right around 9.5 bare. The OEM stock is heavy; I put mine in a McMillan for hunting season, which knocks over 1.5 pounds off.

Brendan

WKR
No gunsmith if someone is halfway mechanically competent.
1. Magnum bolt face action
2. SA Magnum magazine (HCA or similar)
3. Prefit barrel from Patriot Valley, Preferred, or similar
4. Barrel vise and action wrench

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

This was going to be my recommendation and will likely be what I do if I get a PRC. Buy a Tikka T3X with a Magnum Action, plus a Carbonsix PRC prefit (They've got a 15% off sale on right now)

Stock and bottom metal upgrades will cost more beyond that, but you're basically getting a custom gun.

I have a 6# .308 (scoped and loaded) that will likely spend this year in the safe. I'll be carrying my 9# braked 300 WM or my 11.5# Tikka 6.5CM.

slowelk

WKR
Were the discounts some kind of promotional thing? Did they just start making rifles?

Seekins has made AR style rifles for quite some time, and got into hunting-style bolt guns a couple years ago. The coupons were part of prize packages at matches. So yes, promotional.

Hoghead

WKR
The savage 110 ultra light says 2 rounds but I watched a video were the guy was able to put 3 in the mag. I believe it was called savage 110 ultra light out of the box accury. Guy was doing his video at the gun range. I would link it for you but don't know how.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JakeSCH

WKR
Do you mind sharing your hand load recipe?

Not at all. All are out of a CA Mesa Burnt Bronze (24" barrel)

140 gr Berger Elite Hunter
ADG Brass (once fired)
56.8 gr RL26
210M
3056 FPS ~0.3 MOA (average group size)

127 gr Barnes LRX
ADG Brass (once fired)
56.9 gr RL26
210M
3197 FPS ~0.4 MOA (average group size)

124 gr Hammer Hunter
ADG Brass (once fired)
57.0 gr RL26
210M
3198 FPS ~0.25 MOA (average group size)

I can crank the velocities way up on these loads and still get good results, but these are my good accuracy nodes with STD under 5 and ES under 10. Honestly the gun absolutely loves RL26.

Glad you are happy with it! Are you shooting factory or hand loads? What kind of groups do you get with it? How many does it hold in the magazine? That is something I was not able to find in any of the info from their webpage.
The bergarra holds 2 shot insude half inch @100 with eld x factory the proof in creedmore holds 4 or 5 and ckover leafs factory eld x @ 100 with Swaro Z 5 4x12 brx

I have had 2 havaks and neither has been particularly accurate but I’d get another in PRC before a savage.

OP
uppercut11
In the $1300 range, I would go with the Browning.

Short Action Custom makes a 2 round holder that can be mounted on the stock for quick reload. That would make the Savage work for you.

Like previously mentioned, converting a Tikka 6.5 would be a good investment for under $1300.

>>>----JAKE----->
I couldn't find that 2 round holder on their website. Anyway you could send me a link? Thanks for the tip.