Best option for 6.5 PRC

OP
uppercut11
I have had 2 havaks and neither has been particularly accurate but I’d get another in PRC before a savage.
Why not a savage? Bad experience? I have a 300 win mag and 7 mm rem mag in the savage 116 weather warrior and they have both been great. Just over 1/2 moa with handloads for both of them.

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
Going out on Friday to sight in a buddies Savage 110 High Country in 6.5 PRC. Let ya know how well it shoots after that. We usually zero at 100 yards and then bump out to 390ish to verify trajectory. So far it seems like a great gun, thats without shooting it and having recently bought myself a MPR.

Colby

Lil-Rokslider
I used a Sauer 6.5 prc last year for elk with 143 eld-x’s. Killed a cow with no drama. I think a lot of guys don’t think about a Sauer and there is some bad info on the internet about them but the one I had was a good gun.

I have a Savage Ultralite in 6.5 PRC.

It is a tack driver with hand loads (147 gr Hornady Match). It is slightly less a tack driver (in comparison to the hand loads) with commercial 147 gr Hornady Match. Fortunate enough to have a viable backup for ammo just in case.

The 2-round magazine did take a bit of time getting used to. However, if you want/need more rounds have a loaded spare handy. I can only fit 2 (ADG brass) in the magazine. If there is time from a hunting perspective, there is no issue going 2+1.

I have a friend with a Brown Hells Canyon Long Range in 6.5 PRC and that also is a tack driver with hand loads.

Why not a savage? Bad experience? I have a 300 win mag and 7 mm rem mag in the savage 116 weather warrior and they have both been great. Just over 1/2 moa with handloads for both of them.

They seem to shoot well for what they cost but there are a lot of decent actions out there that don't have chronic extraction/ejection problems or feel as rough.

Was in a 3 day precision rifle course a couple weekends ago and the instructor started ragging on the guy with a savage immediately. I thought it was kind of odd how much he was piling it on at first. I guess they have seen a lot of issues with savage through the years. Sure enough the savage had issues with the bolt locking up, pic rail wiggled loose, and had a bunch of rounds that wouldn't chamber. This was with common 308 ammo.

OP
uppercut11
I used a Sauer 6.5 prc last year for elk with 143 eld-x’s. Killed a cow with no drama. I think a lot of guys don’t think about a Sauer and there is some bad info on the internet about them but the one I had was a good gun.
Which model of Sauer do you have and what was the price?

OP
uppercut11
They seem to shoot well for what they cost but there are a lot of decent actions out there that don't have chronic extraction/ejection problems or feel as rough.

Was in a 3 day precision rifle course a couple weekends ago and the instructor started ragging on the guy with a savage immediately. I thought it was kind of odd how much he was piling it on at first. I guess they have seen a lot of issues with savage through the years. Sure enough the savage had issues with the bolt locking up, pic rail wiggled loose, and had a bunch of rounds that wouldn't chamber. This was with common 308 ammo.
Thanks for the info. I have had all good experiences with savage but I have run across references to the ejection problems on other forums. Definitely something to be aware of and weigh into the decision.

OP
uppercut11
Going out on Friday to sight in a buddies Savage 110 High Country in 6.5 PRC. Let ya know how well it shoots after that. We usually zero at 100 yards and then bump out to 390ish to verify trajectory. So far it seems like a great gun, thats without shooting it and having recently bought myself a MPR.
That would be great! Would love to hear some first hand experience with that rifle. Please let me know what load you try and how the trajectory matches up to theoretical, and of course how well it shoots!

OP
uppercut11

I have a friend with a Brown Hells Canyon Long Range in 6.5 PRC and that also is a tack driver with hand loads.

I haven't really thought much about the ultralight, but it falls into that price range as well so I will have to give it another look. Does it come in at advertised 6 lbs? How is the recoil with the lightweight?

Definitely looking at the hells canyon long range too so glad that one is shooting well.

I haven't really thought much about the ultralight, but it falls into that price range as well so I will have to give it another look. Does it come in at advertised 6 lbs? How is the recoil with the lightweight?

Definitely looking at the hells canyon long range too so glad that one is shooting well.
Mine was a couple of ounces over the advertised weight. The recoil is not bad at all. Mine shoots 147 gr ELD-M going 3050 fps.

Colby

Lil-Rokslider
I can't find barrel length or weight of rifle on their website. Seems really odd. You know what yours weighs?
Pretty sure they’re 24” barrel and I think about 7 lbs.
I sold mine earlier this year, not because I didn’t like the rifle it’s just that what I’m doing the 6.5 creedmoor is plenty capable of.

OP
uppercut11

It is a tack driver with hand loads (147 gr Hornady Match). It is slightly less a tack driver (in comparison to the hand loads) with commercial 147 gr Hornady Match. Fortunate enough to have a viable backup for ammo just in case.
When you say tackdriver what group sizes are you shooting? Did it come with a break or just threaded for one?

OP
uppercut11
How did the shooting go? What ammo did you try and what kind of groups were you getting?

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
I thought I responded to this earlier, my bad. My friend was limited to one box of ammo so we kept it very short. Zeroed in 5 rounds and then the other 15 were on 8” steel gongs from 350 yards to 450 yards. Didn’t miss a round. From the 5 rounds I put through it, it shoots very very nice. Almost like a 6.5 Creedmoor with a muzzle brake (I’m comparing it to a Ruger RPR) but a little longer recoil impulse. I would definitely buy one for myself or for the wife so I could use it.

Ben_in_WI

FNG
We just picked up a Christensen Mesa in 6.5 prc for my son. We also looked at the Sauer as they were the only other rifle that suppliers had in stock. After handling the Sauer, it appears to be a well designed rifle, and I like the safety. Ultimately we went with the mesa because of the initial step up in quality (carbon stock, better trigger, no plastic parts).

Last edited:

wyosteve

WKR
I picked up a CA Mesa last weekend. Haven't shot it yet, waiting for the scope to arrive. I went with the Mesa b/c if looks/feels very similar to my Remington KS. It has an upgraded AND adjustable trigger and uses standard Rem. 700 bases. Most of my other rifles are Remingtons so it was an easy fit.