Best option for a one and done bag

amp713

WKR
I currently run a cheap 20 degree rated bag that weighs about 4 pounds. On one hand it works decent with my system but on the other hand I want to get something higher quality that will last and perform better.

I don't think the bag itself is as warm as it claims but I run a exped down mat with a R value of something in like the 5 range. I hunt a lot of early season and stay fairly warm most of the time but it wouldn't go much lower in my opinion.

I'm wanting to get probably a 0 or 10 degree bag to be used with the down mat still, mostly for when I get into later season hunts that I plan on doing in coming years. I also want it to be a weight that is not excessive for the warmth I'm getting out of it.

I look at bags like the slick bag that would be long lasting but then I look at bags like the zpack that weigh almost 1/3 the weight. I've never tossed my bag directly on the dirt, I've had some sort of tent, ground cover or hammock. Durability and weight need to have a balance that I'm struggling to decide on. If I could afford a few different ones I'd go wild testing them because I love to do that sort of thing but my pockets can't back me there.

Used higher quality bags can still cost as much as the rest of my sleep system combined. I know a portion of it all is personal preference but I like the opinions of fellow roksliders.
I do not want a quilt, Im leaning towards synthetic but not dead set on it, I'm pretty short and skinny and don't mind mummy style bags, I love cutting weight out of my pack when I can but won't skimp where safety and warmth is a concern.

AXEL

WKR
Western Mountaineering Versalite regular righthand zipper. Superb quality, very light for warmth and if you are righthanded, you can get to your rifle quicker if camping solo in Grizzly country.

NOBODY, currently offers better bags than WM, Valandre is as good and I have owned/used most of the highend ones since the mid-60s.

I currently own a custom, original Integral Designs, Canadian-made winter bag, cost a small fortune in 2003, a new WM Sequoia, my "all arounder" and a WM Terralite for summer, makes into a quilt, too.

I have four highend synthetic bags for specific uses, but, a GOOD down bag with good underlay and shelter is far more comfy and much lighter.

LandYacht

WKR
X2 on the Versalite. It costs a bit to get into, but it will last a lifetime. I’ve had mine for 6 years now and it looks like brand new still. One thing that I never even have to think about changing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snowy

Lil-Rokslider
Valandre Shocking Blue for your specd temp range, though I find the Mirage better all-arounder.

AXEL

WKR
The Shocking Blue, IS a superb bag, about the same warmth to my feeling as the Versalite, based on owning-using one for five years and owning an Alpenlite, Terralite and Sequoia, as well. Since, it is a "broad" bag, relatively, I recommended the VL as he is a smaller, slender person.

Mirage, is fine IF you do not mind only partial zippers, I dislike this after a few years circa '72-'76 with a Fairydown light bag, the brand used by Sir Edmund Hillary, on Everest and made in his homeland of New Zealand. I found it miserable for a three month stint in the Selkirks here in BC and swore I would never again use a bag without a full zipper. YMMV, of course, everyone is different.

There are other fine bags, too, FF comes to mind and I pushed my 1989-2011 U/L FF bag well below freezing in an unplanned night in the cold Chilcotin country of BC in 1990, but, at present, the WM VL is IT, given the better closure system, weight, quality and price. A comparable PHD bag from the UK, famous as they are, costs a LOT more than a WM......food for thot,anyway.

Last edited:
Ive been using Eddie Bauer’s down bags for a while. They go on sale for 50% off twice a year. Fully featured, light, durable.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you want long lasting, don't get synthetic. Synthetic WILL lose loft over time. There are thousands of user reports of down bags 20+ years old that have the same or comparable loft, if taken care of.

The disadvantage of down is you need to take some care to not get it wet.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
My Kifaru 0 degree bag is my one do all. Looking back I might of gone with the 20 degree since most of my backpacking stuff is in the summer/early fall and I could wear my puffy for extra warmth, but I'm super happy with my 0 degree. That bag is awesome, and especially for a one all do it all bag I would highly suggest synthetic insulation over down. If that thing gets wet you are toast in a down bag... just my .02. As you can see there's a lot of debate on that topic.

EE 0* quilt and Hoodlum for me. My go to choice, easy to vent for warmer climates and/or tents with stoves or a hammock.

Beendare

WKR
Well early season and late seasons are a whole different ballgame. Then there is the question are you a warm or cold sleeper.

I recently ran my 20deg bag with good pad in some temps down to 10 deg....worked fine but moving on my pad you definitely knew you were in some cold ass weather. The hood on my bag which I rarely use was needed...my beanie just wasn't cutting it. I can't imagine a quilt in that kind of weather....you would freeze your Cohones off just moving around on your pad.

A good 20 deg bag gives you a lot of flexibility as you can unzip your bag to use as a quilt in warm temps.

slick

WKR
I would vouch for something like a WM Ponderosa. Not a mummy so you don't get constricted, but also might not be AS warm. Whichever you prefer but it has a zipper around the foot so you can splay it open like a quilt for warmer trips.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
That versalite is damn tempting!! Thanks for all the other input guys I'll keep lookiing into those suggestions. Hopefully I can find one on sale used and save some coin, that price tag on the versalite gave me a start ha

AXEL

WKR
It is TOO BIG for him, given his physique.

The fit of a given bag to the user is very important and short, slender folks need a bag with a shoulder diameter of 60-62", while a Badger has, IIRC, 66". The Versalite is WARMER and LIGHTER than the Badger and owning examples of both the Microshell and Extremelite series, I can say that there is little real difference between them.

For GP uses in mountain country, a roughly 0*F rating is best and with the non-wpb shells, used lots of both, I prefer a light bivy with eVent. Borah Gear, now makes one I like the look of although I have three original ID ones and am good to go.

WM Versalite

It is TOO BIG for him, given his physique.

The fit of a given bag to the user is very important and short, slender folks need a bag with a shoulder diameter of 60-62", while a Badger has, IIRC, 66". The Versalite is WARMER and LIGHTER than the Badger and owning examples of both the Microshell and Extremelite series, I can say that there is little real difference between them.

For GP uses in mountain country, a roughly 0*F rating is best and with the non-wpb shells, used lots of both, I prefer a light bivy with eVent. Borah Gear, now makes one I like the look of although I have three original ID ones and am good to go.

If you are skinny, I'd recommend the Versalite. Lightwight, but warm. The Valandre Shocking blue is really designed for the climber in mind. I've sold Valandre' products since they first came to the US and they are kind of a niche market bag, except for the new chill out series that will be here shortly in the US.

Chawn_C

FNG
I have had a WN Antelope for about 10 years. Gore shell on mine but I actually bought it slightly used. Not sure how big you are but the WM bags are going to get you 15+ years if you handle them right.
That said, I have biased towards synthetic because of moisture, etc. Of all I’ve used, the most recent iteration of the Kifaru Slick Bag is the best I’ve used.
Granted, I’m not exactly a great mountain man. I held back on that bag for several years, but now that I’m screwing with it, I have to think I’ll get many years out of it as well.
I think if you’re looking for synthetic, the slick bags (and those bomber shell materials) are worth the extra hump in cost. IMO.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am not convinced there is a one bag do it all out there, it is like a back pack. Different type, style and time of year will dictate your needs. If you can only do one though, pick a bag that will fit your need the majority of the time. That bag should be big enough though that you could wear your base layer in it in colder temps to make it manageable in colder weather. Everyone has named most of the top bag companies out there. I didn't see Montbell mentioned, but ther are another company to look at. The have bags that stretch to fit, so if you are slighter, the snug up to you, wear some extra layers and they expand to fit that.