Best overall spotter?

Elite

WKR
Look into the Kowa 883, I bought one last year and it’s simply amazing every time i use it!

3567ed8e648f61a2f713c915dd0415ad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have only run 3 spotters. A old Bushnell, then upgraded to a gen 1 Vortex Razor. Huge improvement on that jump. I then sold a bunch of shed antlers and had some cash. I bought a Kowa 884. At first I wasn’t sure if there is much difference. After using it for a month now I can tell huge upgrade. I keep wanting it to zoom more. With the Razor the image always got a bit blurry when I zoomed into 60 power. Well worth the money.

Block

WKR
I compared the ATX and BTX to my Vortex 80 and and saw little difference...certainly not enough to justify the 5K price tag or weight penalty. I have a Vortex 65 as well and it seems like a happy medium for most backpack hunts where ounces are being counted. Took my big 80 once...won't make that mistake again.

View attachment 109926

I will be trying to glass up elk, deer, javelina in AZ and hogs in CA this year. Weight is the biggest consideration. I also have a Meopa 50 but it's just not working out. Trying to dial in the best spotter for BACKPACKING HUNTS. Use in the truck is not a concern. I find it easier to get on critters spotted with my binos if my spotter is straight, an angled spotter slows me down.

If you compared the Vortex to SwarO in real low light you’d see where the HUGE difference is..

OP
Where's Bruce?
If you compared the Vortex to SwarO in real low light you’d see where the HUGE difference is..

No and here's why...I am not glassing much in twilight. That 30 minute window in the pre-dawn morning and post-sunset evening usually have me in a place where I am hoping to get an arrow off. The overwhelming amount of glassing is done during the day when I'm peering into shady areas under trees and in that scenario there was little difference between the Swaro & my Vortex (maybe it's just my eyes...I don't know, I only know what I see). Generally speaking, I spend big money for superior twilight glass that is mounted to a rifle for that last light shot...lugging a spotter while bow hunting is something I hate doing but sometimes you must.

Block

WKR
No and here's why...I am not glassing much in twilight. That 30 minute window in the pre-dawn morning and post-sunset evening usually have me in a place where I am hoping to get an arrow off. The overwhelming amount of glassing is done during the day when I'm peering into shady areas under trees and in that scenario there was little difference between the Swaro & my Vortex (maybe it's just my eyes...I don't know, I only know what I see). Generally speaking, I spend big money for superior twilight glass that is mounted to a rifle for that last light shot...lugging a spotter while bow hunting is something I hate doing but sometimes you must.

I’m not arguing that there isn’t a huge difference with good lighting. But the first and last hour of daylight 99% of the world would agree that SwaRO smashes Vortex.. it’s the reason you pay more for em...

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
What exactly is the point of this exercise?

If a Vortex is just as good for you as a Swarovski, use the Vortex!

Why not pick yourself up a nice used Simmons or Tasco, they should do the trick for you at a fraction of the cost...

Beendare

WKR
I've had the pleasure of looking through a bunch of scopes, 15x and 18xbinos....even the Swaro BTX with 95mm.

I've been running the Nikon HD 60mm for 20+ years and even though I'm blessed to be able to afford anything I want- there isn't enough impetus to change. If I was buying from scratch right now it would probably be the Kowa 77mm.

FWIW, I'm not a big trophy guy so there isn't a need to measure them on the hoof. Its usually a case of, "He's big enough for me, lets go!"

I prefer quality 15x bino's on Mtn deer hunts...I only really use my scope once or twice a year and when I guide. I'm not a big sheep guy...thats where a great scope really comes in handy saving many miles of boot leather.

A guy really needs an assortment of optics for all of the different hunts....and there is no "One Size fits all"

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If anyone is looking we just got in a demo Meopta Meostar 15x56 that's up for sale at only $1,099.99. It's not an SLC, however, it's darn close and at half the price it's worth considering

OP
Where's Bruce?
If anyone is looking we just got in a demo Meopta Meostar 15x56 that's up for sale at only $1,099.99. It's not an SLC, however, it's darn close and at half the price it's worth considering

I just pulled the trigger on some 2019 Swaro 15X56 HD SLC binos. I have the 10X42 and love em...hopefully the new glass can spare me the weight penalty of a spotter, tripod and chair. <g>