Best pack for public land whitetail

TXAR

FNG
Looking to get a pack for public land whitetail hunting. I hunt out of a tree saddle and only carry the platform, sticks, kill kit, extra clothes if needed, and camera gear. Looking to get a pack big enough to be able to pack out meat. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Kifaru Stryker is a pretty sweet setup but not the lightest. I would say that or any of the load shelf packs with a small bag. I'm going to use a seek outside Revolution frame with a merlin day pack bag and compressing platform/sticks and bulky late season clothes on the load shelf.

OP
T

TXAR

FNG
Looking for the smallest frame that I can get away with but still have enough room for my gear. Been looking at the Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28.

Mystery Ranch Pop-up would be a great choice. I just use my Stone Glacier X-Curve and 5900 compressed, but it's pretty strappy for a day pack

Felix40

WKR
The pop up is great. I just wish the top opened a little different so I could leave it open in the stand to get things out more quietly.

OP
T

TXAR

FNG
Im thinking the Pop up is the way to go. theres one for sale in classifieds right now but the belt might be too big for me, and i dont have enough posts to reply!!:mad:

Pramo

WKR
I run a mystery ranch pintler hauled out two does and my tree stand out so far this year. It's big enough to handle all the heavy clothes for late season but still light enough for early season

Looking to get a pack for public land whitetail hunting. I hunt out of a tree saddle and only carry the platform, sticks, kill kit, extra clothes if needed, and camera gear. Looking to get a pack big enough to be able to pack out meat. Any suggestions?
Eberlestock Mainframe F1 with a pair of batwings. Perfect for what you're doing.

Looking for the smallest frame that I can get away with but still have enough room for my gear. Been looking at the Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28.

another pop up vote. Go 38. Same frame, more and better laid out bag IMO. I had a 28 and it fills up fast if you start hauling layers. Swapped it for the 38 and like it a lot. I have carried 70# in my 28 in relative comfort. I have used the 38 for light overnights. Frame is compact in daypack mode and hauls well when needed.

I am using the Mystery Ranch Terraframe 50 I got a month ago and used it to pack out my doe last week. I got it from Sierra.com for $229. That’s a fraction of any other packs cost that would be appropriate for carrying all of the stuff you mentioned.

25c0d84c34991203c7ba84d5fed63faa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that pop up will do what you want. I’ll have my stone glacier 5900 in the truck if we get a few down on public this year. Private I only take my E&E as the ranger does the work to haul

Sealee12

Lil-Rokslider
Kifaru frame of your choice with either a Stryker or 22mag. Different modes of operation, but both are great. For what it’s worth, I like the 22mag for the organization.

Who has the easiest and quicket meat shelf setup between sg and mr,wanting to use that for stand and sticks so it will be used twice in one day alot of the time.

md126

WKR
I’ve been running the Exo 4800 and it’s been working well. Good organization and compresses great. I use the K2 crib load panel to secure a Summit climber to the outside of the pack and have no issues packing in and out of public’s areas.

Who has the easiest and quicket meat shelf setup between sg and mr,wanting to use that for stand and sticks so it will be used twice in one day alot of the time.

I have no experience with SG but can tell you the MR load shelf is awesome and quick with my Terraframe 50. Have packed out 3 field dressed whitetails ranging from about 80-140 pounds and handled the awkward load great.

596d579e1a03ce1595c3614f26f3c6bf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pc3

WKR
Id grab a Kifaru frame and a 44 mag...not much more weight than the 22 mag and you don't need to plat tetrus, the extra room will be handy at some point. It cinches down well too. Maybe more versatile than the 22 mag.

Joshs74

FNG
I used a Kifaru 357mag this year for whitetail and I was pretty happy with it. I hunted open country in western KS.

Matt G.

WKR
Thought I had a better pick, but I am also a pop up 38 user. Pop-ups separate from frame easily. I almost got the pintler. If you go that route then find it on the newer guidelight mtn frame. That bag separates easier.
7d1eb747afe83a52d4613a399057dc05.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk