Best pack for public land whitetail

Maybe this is blasphemy, but has anyone ever look at the fjallraven singi 28? very similar to shape charge in design but little more subtle and bot less money, I've had good luck with fjallraven clothing.

I'm probably in the minority here but I like to run super lean when Whitetail Public land hunting here in the Southeast. I run a Kuiu Venture 1800, it does not have the meat shelf/external frame but holds my platform, gear and sticks on outside perfect to my profile so I don't snag anything on way in, as for meat hauling the downside if i'm deep is I have to debone qtrs to pack out, but I carry a trash bag to put my gamebags inside of.
Walk me through how you are running this, sounds like something I need in my life

tracker12

WKR
I bought a Stryker XL and was going to go that route. I really like the pack but not digging using a full frame for whitetails. I ended up just buying the Kuiu Venture 2300 on the 25% off sale. Where I hunt I can get my deer out with a sled cart or ATV. Im not packing any deer out.

Last edited:
I bought a Stryker XL and was going to go that route. I really like the pack but not digging using a full frame for whitetails. Where I hunt I can get my deer out with a sled cart or ATV. Im not packing any deer out. Im liking the idea of the shape charge
Curious how far from your vehicle and what kind of terrain you hunt? I live in NJ and unless I am super close to the truck I am from now on gutting and packing on my MR Terraframe like I have on 3 of my last 4 deer, It is way easier and faster than dragging it either on it's own, in a sled or in a cart.

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
Curious how far from your vehicle and what kind of terrain you hunt? I live in NJ and unless I am super close to the truck I am from now on gutting and packing on my MR Terraframe like I have on 3 of my last 4 deer, It is way easier and faster than dragging it either on it's own, in a sled or in a cart.
I agree. I’ll never drag a whitetail again unless it’s very close to where I can get my truck or quad. I started packing out my whitetails last year. I killed one in Maine where I ended up being just over 2 miles from my truck so I hunted out of my frame pack on that hunt. Where I normally hunt in NJ or PA, I’ll leave my frame pack in the truck and go back and get it.

pk_

WKR
I'm probably in the minority here but I like to run super lean when Whitetail Public land hunting here in the Southeast. I run a Kuiu Venture 1800, it does not have the meat shelf/external frame but holds my platform, gear and sticks on outside perfect to my profile so I don't snag anything on way in, as for meat hauling the downside if i'm deep is I have to debone qtrs to pack out, but I carry a trash bag to put my gamebags inside of.

I am with you. I run no pack as often as possible. I would rather burn back a mile or so, drop my gear and grab my pack if I kill. For day hunts when I need a pack, I use a Slumberjack 2500. Then I also have a Kuiu 7800 if I need to pack in multiple days or if I think the pack out will be tough due to terrain the external frame just handles the weight much better obviously…

Btaylor

WKR
Walk me through how you are running this, sounds like something I need in my life
I use the same pack for saddle hunting and it works very well. I dont carry much gear either and can strap the platform and stick or sticks to the outside of the pack. A kill gets field quartered and put in game bags then in a trash bag inside the pack for the hike out. With the 1800 I can get up to a 120-130# live weight deer in the pack. A bigger deer would require strapping a meat bag on the outside and carrying the platform. They also have a the same pack in a 2300 version.

Btaylor

WKR
37561aa2c0a0f79b5574ce4aba52fa4e.jpg

There is a roughly 110# doe in the pack, mission platform and stick on the outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Btaylor

WKR
That is so fricken cool. Do you ever wish your pack was the 2300?
A question I have pondered plenty. I keep coming back to no for the answer though. Reason being, a nice size doe quartered and in the bag with my other gear is about all I want in that pack. It is fine for a couple miles but it also is not a frame pack and will not handle bigger weight like a frame. For a deer bigger than will go in that pack, prolly gonna want to make a couple lighter trips anyway even if you had that extra 500 inches.

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a fan of the popups this is a 18. The army base I hunt the deer have to come out whole so no quartering.

Attachments

• 8E70085E-7C45-4637-B581-724947E568E4.jpeg
    8E70085E-7C45-4637-B581-724947E568E4.jpeg
    457.1 KB · Views: 75

TSAMP

WKR
37561aa2c0a0f79b5574ce4aba52fa4e.jpg

There is a roughly 110# doe in the pack, mission platform and stick on the outside.

Your saying there is a 110# deer in that mostly empty looking backpack?...

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
Honest question, and im not being facetious. Why waste the effort to pack out all that hide, hair, and bone that youre just gonna throw out. One or 2 game bags and you could debone it all right there and fit it into one load, and thats getting every scrap of meat. Personally i wont drag a deer over 300 yards or so anymore. Theres absolutely no reason to, learn to butcher on the ground and get the right tools.
Here in Wisconsin we are required to take it all out of the field

Honest question, and im not being facetious. Why waste the effort to pack out all that hide, hair, and bone that youre just gonna throw out. One or 2 game bags and you could debone it all right there and fit it into one load, and thats getting every scrap of meat. Personally i wont drag a deer over 300 yards or so anymore. Theres absolutely no reason to, learn to butcher on the ground and get the right tools.

Michigan requires it all to be removed from the field. I think cwd and tb are the reasons.

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
Because of CWD? Wouldn't that spread it faster, possibly taking contaminated remains to new areas spreading CWD further?? Im beginning to think much like other invasive and "reintroduced" species that they seem to not manage whatsoever but help, this is all intentional to destroy what little natural resources we have left in America
I think it has multiple reasons. CWD, poaching, concentrated hunting on public land and having hides and whatnot every where. Now we have huge dumpsters that are lined with plastic for carcass disposal, in theory it would help slow the spread. In regards to CWD there are a lot of unknowns, misinformation and emotions in every conversation I have heard about it.

I agree why waste the effort but it’s against the law in NJ to quarter it and leave the remaining carcass in the woods on public land. Stupid law but not worth losing my license over it.