Best pack for Tall Guys

Thess87

WKR
6’8” 270lbs. 28” duplex. Love it fits me great I’ve had a good bit over 100 lbs (moose hind and scrap) in it and handles and felt as good as could be expected.

WyoHnt300

Lil-Rokslider
Just a quick follow-up on the Seek Outside performance.
This past weekend a buddy of mine shot a 3yr old raghorn 3.5 miles from the quads. The quads where a net 500' gain from where we were with an additional 1000' down and up thrown in to skirt some private property.
Our original plan was to haul the whole bull, quartered, to the bottom and then shuttle loads back up the hill to the quads. We guessed we were between 130lb and 150lb.
All in all, we ended up keeping the whole load in one trip.
The SO was as comfortable as can be and my load (a hind, a front, both backstraps with some neck meat and both tenders) never shifted. The aforementioned strap configuration worked flawlessly.

I figure I should update:

6’7” 260lb with a 24” torso and a 26” XTall frame
New suspension on my Kuiu setup. Hip belt was a big improvement and he new shoulder straps are an improvement over the old ones. Problem is the shoulder straps load lifters point is fixed. Above 70lbs the setup sags like crazy and I’m forced to shorten the torso length to maintain a 45 deg load lifters angle. Not to mention when you crank on the load lifters when loosening the shoulder straps the frame sags more and the lifters don’t work. The Frame stay flexes towards the back of your head.

I’m wearing the hip belt cupped over the top of the Liliac Crest.

Tried on a kifaru duplex lite and the hip belt seemed to fit better. Kifaru assures me the med belt/26” frame/long shoulder straps will be the fix for me.

Rwatwood

FNG
Check out Initial Ascent if you get the chance. I’m only 5’10” and have the load lifters in the middle position. You may be able to set them high enough for you.
If you reach out the them on Instagram they always answer promptly and are always willing to help

BluMtn

WKR
I am 6'5" 200 lbs. and have the KUIU pack with the extra tall frame the upgraded belt with the Apex shoulder straps. So far any loads I have carried with it have been comfortable.

Last edited:
I am 6'5 and I ran the Metcalf for 2 seasons, I had issues with the shoulder straps/yoke not being wide enough and giving me neck pain. I switched to a Hill People Gear Qui Ya and it worked great until I had to haul meat(I was used to having the meat shelf from MR) and I never came up with a system that worked out for me. I sold the Qui Ya and picked up a Decker and have been satisfied with how well it hauls a load but the comfort has been the real deal. It's very strap heavy but I dont find it to be an issue. I actually use the top lid for a Metcalf(the double pocket one) as a lid on my Decker and it adds a daypack capability to it.