Best pack strategy for $300, new western hunter?

jKsled

Lil-Rokslider
I'm planning a 2 week elk trip for next year. I am planning on up to 5 nights backcountry. Being new to the game there is a LOT of gear to buy so I have to be very judicious with my budget. I have $300 to spend on a pack, no more.

What is the best strategy, in your opinion?
  • Brand new lower end pack, like an Alps Commander external frame
  • Slightly used mid-range pack, like a Mystery Ranch metcalf
  • Well loved and older high-end pack (kifaru?)

I am also a tall guy (6'5") so I would hate to buy a low-end pack that doesn't fit right... I'm really looking for guidance after being overwhelmed by the types AND COST of these packs as I research them... so do I stick to craigslist or buy new?

Outlaw99

WKR
Keep an eye on the classifieds for a 26” kifaru frame. You should be able to pick one up at your budget. You’ll have a solid foundation to start with there. Then, safe and sell some stuff you don’t need and buy a bag to put on it later. A solid well fitted frame is more important than the bag itself IMO

PNWGATOR

WKR
Find the used REI XT85 that was listed in the classifieds here for about $100 and use the other $200 on your other gear priorities

Look in Sierra.com for close out MR Terraframe 80’s they currently have the 50’s for 229. They had both for that price a month ago. That’s got the same frame as the Metcalf about the same size and better organization.

Also used Kifaru or Stone Glacier but even used they will be much more money on average. I bought the Terraframe 50 and figured if it felt good I got a great deal at a great price and if it didn’t I could return it to their store near me and then I would order either the SG or Kifaru frame for now and see about getting a used bag.

The Terraframe worked out great and I packed out about 110-120lb doe they first time I used it.

797db4351cb359bd07f7bbe1b63a0c89.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Id buy a used 26" kifaru frame, lid, cargo net and water bottle holder and use a cheap dry bag.

Don't forget a tactic I have used in the past is to avoid all the shirts I don't want at Xmas is to ask for gift cards to say kifaru or visa ones you can use anywhere.

manitou1

WKR
I wouldn't label the mystery ranch as a mid-range pack, other than maybe being a little less expensive. I use M.R. by choice, not for economic reasons. A few years ago they were top of the line, but as with many toys for guys... we have to have the newest, latest product on the market to brag to our buddies, lol.
If you can get your hands on a Mystery Ranch Terra Frame, it will do everything you ask of it for a 5-day hunt and then some... for about $350.00 new. Other than that, there are always good packs for sale used if you watch for them.

mb6355

Lil-Rokslider
I agree on the Mystery Ranch. I have a Metcalf, Kifaru frames and a couple of different pack bags, and a Stone Glacier. They all work well but you can usually find the Mystery Ranch at a lower price.

Kifaru is fantastic. Part of the premium price is quality and part is USA made. Made in the US is great but if you are on a tight budget, an MR or other pack made overseas is going to be more bang for you buck, even if you buy used. Also, after spending a lot of $$$ ano a couple of years I found I am one of those people that kifaru did not fit well. I am back to mystery ranch.

in you position, I would give MR a hard look. those TerrafrAmes mentioned above or a terraplane are awesome packs. They also have a military pack called a SATL that is worth a look. A used Metcalf or beartooth would be good too.

with $300 to spend you have a lot of good options. I would not go low end. If I did want to save $$$ but still have a rock solid pack, I would buy an MR nice frame for $100-120 on eBay and pair it with a Marine ILBE /FILBE pack for $50-75. You would have some serious hauling capability for under $200.

Id either buy an expensive frame (with intent on adding pack later) and use a large dry bag or go with a known brand hiking backpack.

dont waste your money on a $300 pack just to turn around and sell it for something nicer. Pony up the cash and buy kifaru frame and pack.

OP
J

jKsled

Lil-Rokslider
Sure appreciate all the input! I wish I could pony up more for the bag, but I am keeping a strict budget to make this all happen.

I was actually looking last month at the Sierra.com MR packs. That did seem like a good deal. I am seriously considering all the MR routes mentioned above.

Question on the kifaru frame & dry bag option - is this quiet? I am planning on hunting with the pack on.

Sure appreciate all the input! I wish I could pony up more for the bag, but I am keeping a strict budget to make this all happen.

I was actually looking last month at the Sierra.com MR packs. That did seem like a good deal. I am seriously considering all the MR routes mentioned above.

Question on the kifaru frame & dry bag option - is this quiet? I am planning on hunting with the pack on.

I started with an MR to make my season happen too. After the season, I sold it and bought a used frame and bag from the classifieds here! you wont be disappointed.

I would look around for a used High end pack (Seek Outside in my opinion). Seriously consider the high end pack and some sort of bag attached. I the SO frame with a kuiu ultra 1800 bag for daily hunting, When packing in I use a dry bag between the kuiu bag and frame. I would avoid mystery ranch (just my feeling after using many different brands of packs) . If you cant find a used high end pack maybe a used KUIU.

Light weight, strong frame and durable is the first features I would look for.

Last edited:
OP
J

jKsled

Lil-Rokslider
I would look around for a used High end pack (Seek Outside in my opinion). Seriously consider the high end pack and some sort of bag attached. I the SO frame with a kuiu ultra 1800 bag for daily hunting, When packing in I use a dry bag between the kuiu bag and frame. I would avoid mystery ranch (just my feeling after using many different brands of packs) . If you cant find a used high end pack maybe a used KUIU.

Light weight, strong frame and durable is the first features I would look for.
When you guys strap different brands together, does the pack just cinch the bag in place with compression straps?

cnelk

WKR
IMO - Id take a step back and plan on a 3 night foray.
Being new to the game and getting new gear is overwhelming.

A 3 night stay will allow you get a bit smaller pack, some less gear, food etc. Especially when you planning on hunting with the pack on.

Also, if there arent any elk where you are, you're gonna have to leave and go find them.

Everyone, and I mean everyone, that gets a large pack fills it up with shit they dont need. Make it smaller, get the necessities and go hunt.

I use a Kuiu Icon Pro 1850 for my daily hunts, but could easily pack it for 2-3 nights in the backcountry

jolemons

WKR
Another vote for REI XT85 and use the rest for gear. My brother is about 6'2" 210 lbs and it works fine for him.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mikkel318

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a used Seekoutside off of this site for around $300 and I haven't looked back. It was their oldest model, Paradox 4800 and it is an amazing pack.

I'll echo the recommendation to invest in a top notch used frame and jury rig a dry bag to it until funds allow for a frame-specific, made-for-purpose bag. The going price for previous generation Kifaru frames seems to be around $250. Add a Cargo Net or Quarter Panel and you'd have an excellent meat hauler and a passable gear hauler. The same strategy could also be employed with other brands of modular packs (Exo, Stone Glacier, Mystery Ranch, etc).