Best pack strategy for $300, new western hunter?

CV335

FNG
Enjoyed reading these posts as I am in a similar position. Primarily a midwestern whitetail hunter but am looking to hunt west once a year from here out and looking for a good pack that could potentially be used for both.

jspradley

WKR
For that budget I'd go with a used Kifaru, SG, or MR frame and something like a grabit or a used Kuiu bag (Kuiu frames kinda suck for heavy weights but their bags are nice) you might go over your budget a bit but should be able to get pretty close.

Keep an eye on camofire and you can often find last years MR packs for around $300 too

Packs and boots are one place you don't want to skimp on if you can help it

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
What season are you hunting? I would see myself packing pretty differently for an archery hunt than second or third rifle. I could probably get by with a 3500 size pack for archery or even first rifle. But by second or third rifle I doubt I’d fit most of my current (cheap and bulky) cold weather gear in less than 5000 cu.

Are you military or LE? Some of these companies have a pretty good discount that puts a new pack nearly in your price range.

Last thought, if you need a budget pack to last maybe a couple years, the surplus route isn’t bad if you find a Molle 2 or FILBE under $100. Then you could put $200 away for next year, and save more on top of that and get a top of the line pack next year or the year after.

I’ve hunted two seasons out west, not to mention packed some whitetail out in frames and other packs just for the practice. Every year I think about what I need to improve for next year. So far, the Molle 2 is working for me, and I would like to upgrade, but just haven’t felt it’s that high of a priority. I’m probably brainwashed from carrying a Molle Ruck through some of the toughest training the military has to offer. Just saying that to say this, a $100 pack may just work well enough for the next 2-5 years so you can save up and really get something top of the line later.

OP
J

jKsled

Lil-Rokslider
What season are you hunting? I would see myself packing pretty differently for an archery hunt than second or third rifle. I could probably get by with a 3500 size pack for archery or even first rifle. But by second or third rifle I doubt I’d fit most of my current (cheap and bulky) cold weather gear in less than 5000 cu.
Archery, mid September, and im thinking similar volumes, 4000 on up.

Unfortunately I dont get any special discounts, I'm keeping my eye on the classifieds and marketplace for now.

j33

WKR
Buy a good quality used backpack in the off season. That’s what I did and saved a ton of cash on a barely used one. If it doesn’t work sell for the same price and move on.

Kentucky

WKR
Mystery ranch.. best value for money, better layout in my opinion anyway..

I had kifaru frame, I liked it, very nice, I went through a few bags, Stryker was the last one, and I’d much rather be packing a MR pintler..

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
Most of these guys have way more experience with packs than I do, but I’m kicking in a response only because I am also 6’5”. I have an older MR Nice frame, and even with the extensions, I can’t get the lift I need, and the frame bends away from the bag when I crank down on the litter straps. It looks like they tried to fix that issue on the Guidelight, but I’m still leery that it would work for tall guys.

If you were to go the cheaper route, like the Alps, just try it on with some weight to make sure it’s going to work for you. I’m not sure about that brand, but a lot of the frame haulers I’ve tried on would give NO lift to a guy your height.

I have also used an SO, and with the frame extensions it fit like a glove. You could find a used one in the forums for close to your price and the extensions are like $10 through SO. This would be a great option.

Unfortunately, I don’t have any experience with the SG or Kifaru just yet...

OP
J

jKsled

Lil-Rokslider
Most of these guys have way more experience with packs than I do, but I’m kicking in a response only because I am also 6’5”. I have an older MR Nice frame, and even with the extensions, I can’t get the lift I need, and the frame bends away from the bag when I crank down on the litter straps. It looks like they tried to fix that issue on the Guidelight, but I’m still leery that it would work for tall guys.

If you were to go the cheaper route, like the Alps, just try it on with some weight to make sure it’s going to work for you. I’m not sure about that brand, but a lot of the frame haulers I’ve tried on would give NO lift to a guy your height.

I have also used an SO, and with the frame extensions it fit like a glove. You could find a used one in the forums for close to your price and the extensions are like $10 through SO. This would be a great option.

Unfortunately, I don’t have any experience with the SG or Kifaru just yet...
Thanks, I appreciate that feedback from a similar build.

I've seen mixed messaging on whether the newer MR frames actually fit. Some tall guys say they do and some dont. I'm guessing it would be in the acceptable range, not great but not terrible.

Thanks, I appreciate that feedback from a similar build.

I've seen mixed messaging on whether the newer MR frames actually fit. Some tall guys say they do and some dont. I'm guessing it would be in the acceptable range, not great but not terrible.

What is your torso length? I am 6’2 with a 21” torso and the Guidelight frame fits me fine. Most people have a shorter torso.

I had no issues carrying a 120lb doe with it earlier this season. My 6’5 son who has a 23” torso used it to carry out his deer last week but didn’t adjust the torso length to him and had no issues but did say he was carrying most of the weight on his shoulders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

jKsled

Lil-Rokslider
What is your torso length? I am 6’2 with a 21” torso and the Guidelight frame fits me fine. Most people have a shorter torso.

I had no issues carrying a 120lb doe with it earlier this season. My 6’5 son who has a 23” torso used it to carry out his deer last week but didn’t adjust the torso length to him and had no issues but did say he was carrying most of the weight on his shoulders.

I seem to measure right under 23, so probably very similar to your son.

I seem to measure right under 23, so probably very similar to your son.

The MR is still the best value and with the budget you are talking about I would get one on clearance and see if it fits. You and my son are definitely at the upper end of the torso range to get use of the load lifters.

For me at 21” and shorter they are great.

Smenning

Lil-Rokslider
Keep your eyes on camofire.com mystery ranch packs often show up on there. I have a Metcalf and would recommend it for a day pack up to 3-5 day size.

Gbrecka

Lil-Rokslider
GoHunt has the metcalf on sale for $375 which is getting real close to your budget.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Get a good frame (Exo, Seek Outside, Kifaru, Stone Glacier) and rig something to it. A Seek Outside frame is $329 new, making it the cheapest of the four and only slightly over budget.

Or find a deal on a Gregory Baltoro 85 and recognize that you will end up selling it later. Sierra has the Baltoro 75 for $200 right now. You can probably resell it for about $150.

Last edited:

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
So... here's the thing. I spent 12 years hunting all over MT on a shoestring budget. Literally all my gear was christmas gifts, walmart specials, etc. I killed a lot of animals anyways, including elk. The first thing I bought after I got a real job? My wife's engagement ring (bet you weren't expecting that...) but then it was Zamberlan boots and a Kifaru Reckoning on a 26" frame. Everything else you think you need, arguably even binos, are secondary to those two pieces of gear if you want to hunt the backcountry. I went another couple years using Vortex Diamondbacks, but I upgraded my pack and boots. I had so many places I didn't hunt, because I knew I wouldn't be able to get the animal out. That pack and good boots changed the calculus. I'm not afraid to shoot a mule deer downhill from the road any more.

Learn to pitch a tarp and you save money on shelter. Buy a savage axis and save money on your rifle. And I agree with cnelk about planning shorter hunts. If you're hunting elk solo, backpack hunting can actually really hurt your chances because you get invested in an area, and the elk might not be there.

This