Best pack strategy for $300, new western hunter?

So... here's the thing. I spent 12 years hunting all over MT on a shoestring budget. Literally all my gear was christmas gifts, walmart specials, etc. I killed a lot of animals anyways, including elk. The first thing I bought after I got a real job? My wife's engagement ring (bet you weren't expecting that...) but then it was Zamberlan boots and a Kifaru Reckoning on a 26" frame. Everything else you think you need, arguably even binos, are secondary to those two pieces of gear if you want to hunt the backcountry. I went another couple years using Vortex Diamondbacks, but I upgraded my pack and boots. I had so many places I didn't hunt, because I knew I wouldn't be able to get the animal out. That pack and good boots changed the calculus. I'm not afraid to shoot a mule deer downhill from the road any more.

Learn to pitch a tarp and you save money on shelter. Buy a savage axis and save money on your rifle. And I agree with cnelk about planning shorter hunts. If you're hunting elk solo, backpack hunting can actually really hurt your chances because you get invested in an area, and the elk might not be there.

Apologies for not having read through all of the responses but I would hold out in the classifieds for a used pack....Kifaru or Stone Glacier. Being that you do not need the pack right now, you are looking at the right time. There are a lot of people on here who buy buy buy and after hunting season sell their "old" stuff to get something new for next year. I would have your measurements spot on so that you can be confident in what you are buying. A pack like a SG or Kifaru will be excellent even if it is a few years old. That is what I would do if it were me.

Time is on your side. Sit back and wait...looking through the classifieds every day or two. Pack and boots are a priority for elk above all else in my opinion.

wyelkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
When you guys strap different brands together, does the pack just cinch the bag in place with compression straps?

Yes the Seek Outside also has a built in load shelf and compression straps. The Kuiu ultra 1800 mated up to the frame perfectly with straps. With the load shelf and 1800 the dry bag secures very nicely to the frame.

matthewmt

WKR
For the dough and not that they are sub par but ive seen them and even sold them around that price but Seekoutside packs are great and would fit a tall guy 28" frame if adding extensions.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
J

jKsled

Lil-Rokslider
Great advice here, thanks everyone for the input so far!
You hit it right on Christmas... Already have my list made! That will help with some of the smaller things for sure. Lots of great suggestions so far and I am looking into them all.

Let's talk about height quickly - at 6'5" am I at risk of being too tall for the standard large packs?

As far as height being an issue...it more depends on your torso length...I'm 6/3 and my torso is way longer than it should be making my legs shorter...best thing to do would be go to a dedicated hiking store like rei/ moose jaw, or similar place and get fitted then you will know for sure.

Keep an eye on the classifieds for a 26” kifaru frame. You should be able to pick one up at your budget. You’ll have a solid foundation to start with there. Then, safe and sell some stuff you don’t need and buy a bag to put on it later. A solid well fitted frame is more important than the bag itself IMO
Building on this, if you end up needing to go cheap on the bag after buying a Kifaru frame, you should be able to pick up a cheap surplus USMC FILBE pack for $40-70 and attach it to a frame.

Rwatwood

FNG
I would look heavily into used packs if that’s your budget. IMO you will get a better setup for the money if you buy a slightly older higher quality pack rather than buying an alps or whatever.

Last edited:
Look on Expertvoice (and/or Guidefitter) and see if there isn’t a team you qualify for.

I’m a registered nurse who did a WFR through NOLS 8 years ago (and re-cert 6 years ago). Those credentials surprisingly qualify me for 42% off MysteryRanch.

OP
J

jKsled

Lil-Rokslider
Great input, thanks everyone. I do like the idea of the frame + bag. That, or a used pack, is most likely the route I will take.

However, for arguments sake, has anyone here actually used a cheaper pack like the Alps external frame on longer trips, and put it through its paces, and bowhunted with it on your back?

OP
J

jKsled

Lil-Rokslider
Great input, thanks everyone. I do like the idea of the frame + bag. That, or a used pack, is most likely the route I will take.

However, for arguments sake, has anyone here actually used a cheaper pack like the Alps external frame on longer trips, and put it through its paces, and bowhunted with it on your back?
Especially with the external frame pack on sale today for $150 on amazon? Are they really that bad?

Especially with the external frame pack on sale today for $150 on amazon? Are they really that bad?
At least spend the extra $80 on the Terraframe 50 on sierra.com for $229. No comparison between that and an ALPS especially if you think you are going to possibly be wearing it while hunting just way more comfortable than any aluminum frame pack.

matthewmt

WKR
Shoot, Costco had badlands hauler whatever model for 149$ if memory serves me.

cnelk

WKR
I have a couple Kelty Cache Haulers.
They are a good, rugged external frame with a shelf. Cost effective too.
Check them out

OP
J

jKsled

Lil-Rokslider
Good options for sure! I actually saw that frame at Costco last year...

I have the money budgeted so I will probably spend the $300 on the pack and not go super cheap. I've had great luck buying used off archerytalk, and I agree with all of the advice given so far, so my plan is to look for either:
1 - pack + frame; used Exo, MR, kuiu, or similar
2 - frame only; Kifaru or similar high end frame only, get simple dry bag separate

prm

WKR
Get a used high end pack. Look beyond “hunting” packs. As an example, an old Arc’teryx Bora 80 or similar can probably be found within your budget and you’ll sacrifice nothing in terms of capability.

Edit: saw your size, here is a large.

Last edited:

matthewmt

WKR
Get a used high end pack. Look beyond “hunting” packs. An old Arc’teryx Bora 80 or similar can probably be found within your budget and you’ll sacrifice nothing in terms of capability.

Edit: saw your size, here is a large.

Man I had a bora 80 that I got from a pawn store for like 90 $ or less. It was actually a lrg and was a little big on me. Sold it..

OP
J

jKsled

Lil-Rokslider
I saw that one. Does that type of frame detach from the bag or is it a combo bag/frame?