Best packs and boots for Alberta Big horn hunting?

Scotty

FNG
I’ve had a few close encounters and I’ve caught the Big Horn bug! I’m going all in for a Northern Big Horn in August of 2021. I’m planning on a 6-8 day hunt in the backcountr. Just wanted to see if I could gain any insights from you guys about the best Packs? I’ve packed elk off the hills, been running 10K every other day and I finally feel like I could be read. I still have time to break my gear in! Any thoughts?
Thanks a bunch!!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The best packs and boots all comes down to what fits you the best. I hate being that guy and it would be cool if there was a definitive answer but you need to try as many different versions as you can and decide which you like best.

Boots more so than packs though, you need the right boots for your feet, bad boots absolutely will ruin a hunt. As far as packs, in my experience it’s personal preference, if you have a high end pack, even if it’s not perfect for you it will likely be pretty good. I prefer stone glacier but it’s not like my kifaru bothered me or anything, I just find the SG to be a bit more comfortable and I like the bag lay out.

For boots, check out all the top brands, crispi, lowa, scarpa, whatever else is out there and see what you like.

OP
Scotty

Scotty

FNG
Ya, I removed boots in my post but forgot the title. Pretty sure I’ll be going Scarpa Boots. In Canada, we have a lot less for selection right now. So most of the shopping is online. I‘ve done a lot of Youtube research, so I’ll just need to roll the dice and hope for the best. I like what I’ve seen from Mystery Ranch, Kuiu and Stone Glacier.

Kentk

FNG
I went through the same considerations last year. After trying a couple cheaper pairs of boots I bought a pair of hanwag. They are a quality boot most people on this site don't talk about, but the best part is you can try them on before you buy in Edmonton.

For a pack I went with a Seek Outside because it was a little bit lighter and I still found it super comfortable under load.

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Canmore. I would consider selling my ICON 7200. Too big for my use. I have taken it on a few ten day hunts.

OP
Scotty

Scotty

FNG
I live in Canmore. I would consider selling my ICON 7200. Too big for my use. I have taken it on a few ten day hunts.
Just last week I picked up a Mystery Ranch Bear tooth 80 and I have picked up to different types of boots,Scarpa Kenisis pro GTX and Scarpa R Evolution GTX. Nice to have different options while I’m breaking them.
I would have looked at the 7200 for sure!

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Exo, or Seek Outside on a pack. Scarpa or La Sportiva boots. La Sportiva is what works for my feet, Scarpa just does not feel good on me. the La Sportivs Trango Cube in Kryptek are nice. I like my Exo and my Seek Outside pack frames. The SO is newer to me, but I think I will end up liking it a smidge better than the Exo, not enough time to say for sure at this point though. The Exo comfortably halled out 100 plus pounds on crap terrain for 8 miles.

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
Just last week I picked up a Mystery Ranch Bear tooth 80 and I have picked up to different types of boots,Scarpa Kenisis pro GTX and Scarpa R Evolution GTX. Nice to have different options while I’m breaking them.
I would have looked at the 7200 for sure!
I’m sure you’ll be happy with the bear tooth. If you ever want to try the 7200 and are in the Canmore area just send a dm. It only gets used a few days a year unless I do a trip. The only thing I really don’t like about it, it needs to be half full or fuller to haul well.

NorthCountryAB

Lil-Rokslider
Im in Lloydminster and have the new Kuiu Pro system with 2200, 4000 and 7800 bags.
Your more than welcome to try anytime.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll echo the sentiment that packs from Stone Glacier, Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, Seek Outside, Kuiu, Exo is where I'd be concentrating. There are definitely going to be packs that fit you better than others. Most have a pretty easy return policy, so it's worth trying several to get the perfect one.

I'd also opt for a frame that allows for different bags. Nice to be able to swap on a 7000 cubic inch pack for a 10 day trip and later in the season swap in a bag for a long day hunt.

To Scarpa and La Sportiva boots, I'd add Crispi to the list as well- several models that would fit the bill for a sheep hunt. Like packs, it's mostly in the fit.

As far as training goes, definitely some strength training concentrating on large compound lifts, but man I'd be hitting the cardio hard too- especially longer sessions emphasizing time on your feet. A mix of weighted and unweighted; building that cardio base is what insures long days in the mountains don't wreck you.

Best of luck on the hunt!

OP
Scotty

Scotty

FNG
Thanks, been working on this sheep shape thing for a while now. With this COVID lock down I figured I may as well work towards a goal, thankfully I have a wife that was ok with me dropping some $$ on an adventure! Feels like Christmas is just around the corner. My trip is from July 27-Aug 7th, 4 days scouting and 7 days backpack hunting.
I’m thankful for the 4 days scouting, this will help me to slow down and not just shoot the first legal sheep I see. Either way, I’m looking forward to the adventure of a lifetime with my son. I am truly Blessed to be alive!

NorthCountryAB

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, been working on this sheep shape thing for a while now. With this COVID lock down I figured I may as well work towards a goal, thankfully I have a wife that was ok with me dropping some $$ on an adventure! Feels like Christmas is just around the corner. My trip is from July 27-Aug 7th, 4 days scouting and 7 days backpack hunting.
I’m thankful for the 4 days scouting, this will help me to slow down and not just shoot the first legal sheep I see. Either way, I’m looking forward to the adventure of a lifetime with my son. I am truly Blessed to be alive!
Awesome, I look forward to following this thread. Hope you kill a ram.
Im guessing with Covid there will be a ton of guys in the mountains, so scouting the last few days before the opener is going to be key. Goodluck

I missed the boot portion of the original question lol.
I run the Lowa Camino GTX. They are amazing.
And there is a few dealers in Edmonton.

Ram94

WKR
Doesn’t the season not open until August 25th?