Best pad out there.

Northpark

WKR
So just got my 10 degree el coyote quilt (awesome by the way) now I’m looking for the right pad. Right now I’ve got a Klymit v pad 20” wide. Think the r value on it is like 4.1. The pad is OK but I’m not in love with it. It’s fairly lightweight and packs down rather small but it’s just sort of meh for me. I do feel like it might be a little narrow which might be part of the problem.

Anyways what pads are you all using? I like insulation even in the summer. It’s weird, at home I sleep really warm like find myself not using any blankets warm but put me in a tent and I get cold fast.

I’m looking too. The neoair xthrem and xped are the ones I want. Out of stock!
Replacing a thinner thermarest.

Buddy in Alaska said he takes a thin foam pad to help with the cold weather under his good pad. I’ll probably do that if total weight is not factor.

Best pad I’ve found for my year round uses for the weight, r value, and price has been the Xtherm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
I really like my Exped Synmat. Not a lightweight, has built in pump, works for a 230lb side sleeper. With a 15* bag and that bag I have been comfortable to low to mid twenties.

I just got in the Exped Synmat UL Winter LW, it’s pretty nice. I love how quiet it is compared to the Xtherm MAX I checked out at Sportsmans Warehouse. 5.2R and 3.5” thick because I am a side sleeper. 28 oz for the LW.

I’ve been looking at the El Coyote Quilts too, trying to decide between 10 and 20 degree in Regular Wide.

Got mine here, on sale for $139 https://www.outdoorsgeek.com/product/exped-synmat-ul-winter-new/

Last edited:

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
Are you backpacking or camping at a developed site. For backpacking I use the Thermarest Neoair Xlite. It works for me, I mainly chose it due to R value and weight. If weight is not an issue I would check the Exped.

slim9300

WKR
I just got in the Exped Synmat UL Winter LW, it’s pretty nice. I love how quiet it is compared to the Xtherm MAX I checked out at Sportsmans Warehouse. 5.2R and 3.5” thick because I am a side sleeper. 28 oz for the LW.

I’ve been looking at the El Coyote Quilts too, trying to decide between 10 and 20 degree in Regular Wide.

Got mine here, on sale for $139 https://www.outdoorsgeek.com/product/exped-synmat-ul-winter-new/

This is similar to my SynMat HL Winter LW. I have been using this pad now for three or four years. I have tried a few different pads over the course of 17 years of backpack hunting, and this is my favorite. I have one for me and the wife. The mummy design is perfect for wide shoulders and tall people (never thought I would say that), but at the same time not being overly heavy. I’m 6’ 3” and 195#. It’s as comfortable as a sub 2 pound pad gets with some seam sealer lines/dots. The only one more comfortable is my DownMat 9 DLX, but that’s not going on any backpacking trips.

78159855c539ba5aa9911eaf377cc880.jpg

Last edited:

turley

Lil-Rokslider
I've been happily using an xtherm for the past five or six years and haven't found anything that entices me to replace it.

wingmaster

Lil-Rokslider
I like the Xtherm as well, but I wish I got the wide version. It probably would've been worth the extra weight.

mlgc20

WKR
Lots of good pads out there. I have several that I rotate depending on what the trip calls for. When weight is an issue, I take the NeoAir Xlite. When comfort is my main priority, I use my BA Q-Core SLX. When insulation is top priority, I either go Xtherm or Exped Downmat 7. If I was forced to choose one, it would probably be the Q-Core. Its a tad heavy. But, so much more comfortable that the Thermarest. YMMV.

OP
Northpark

Northpark

WKR
So I should have clarified that I mostly backpack hunt if I’m not hunting out of the house which I do actually have a real bed in! So far looks like some pretty steady votes for the xtherm.

Was thinking the xtherm max wide. It’s only 1lb 6oz for an R value of 6.9

mlgc20

WKR
So I should have clarified that I mostly backpack hunt if I’m not hunting out of the house which I do actually have a real bed in! So far looks like some pretty steady votes for the xtherm.

The Xtherm would be a very good choice. I would definitely get the wide version in any of the Thermarest pads. Their sides tend to "collapse" if you get too close to the edge. It's a downside of the lightness and horizontal baffles. But, if your doing a lot of cold weather backpacking, it would work very well.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I like my Neoair X-therm. I have some Exped Downmat 9's (R value of 9), but at over two pounds they don't get out much.

I've not tried enough other pads to name one as best, but X-therm would be my recommendation.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’m looking too. The neoair xthrem and xped are the ones I want. Out of stock!
Replacing a thinner thermarest.

Buddy in Alaska said he takes a thin foam pad to help with the cold weather under his good pad. I’ll probably do that if total weight is not factor.
I have used the X-Therm a bunch in a variety of conditions. I am a big fan of it!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Best pad I’ve found for my year round uses for the weight, r value, and price has been the Xtherm.

This is the conclusion I’ve come to as well; almost a r 7 rating with a light weight and compact volume.

In the winter I add a ccf pad, I’m talking temps 0 and below- it’s a very warm pad

slim9300

WKR

Therm-a-Rest UL pads are very loud. Imagine a bag of chips as you move around (something I do every 1-2 hours as a rotate). It’s annoying to me but even more annoying when your partner has one if you share a shelter. And they are only 2.5” thick.

Exped pads are about 1/4 as noisy as the two Therm-a-Rest pads that I have owned, and they are also 3.5” thick. These are two huge factors for me.

The level of comfort is far greater for me with an Exped pad. I am a side sleeper, so the thickness is much more important. If you sleep on your back, it’s not as big of a deal. I inflate my pads about 85% of capacity so that my shoulder and hip get about 1.5” of ‘penetration’ below the plane of the pad. This really helps with sleeping on the ground, which is already less than ideal. I couldn’t imagine sleeping on a fully inflated pad on my side, it’s basically just keeping you warm at that point.

I have spent 17 years and hundreds of nights sleeping in the backcountry. It has been a long learning process. If you haven’t already, I would spend a few nights sleeping on the pad you buy before your hunt. There is nothing worse than operating on no sleep in the backcountry because you hate something about your sleep system.

Last edited:
I have sampled around. Had landed on an x therm but then I find sea to summit.

i am 6’3” and 250#. Tend to sleep on my side.

I use the regular wide rectangle version. 4” thick. Super comfy. I haven’t used any of my other pads, including the xtherm since I bought it.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
Totally agree with Slim9300 above. Exped pads are worth the weight for me.