Best pad out there.

I really like my Exped Synmat. Not a lightweight, has built in pump, works for a 230lb side sleeper. With a 15* bag and that bag I have been comfortable to low to mid twenties.
^^^100% correct! The UL9 (aka: Winter) is all I use now. 3 1/2" of comfort. Well worth the weight penalty and tough as nails.^^^

Depends how far I wander from my truck. If I am only going a few miles and base-camping then I'll take the extra heavy Exped Megamat Lite 12 LXW. It is almost as good as my bed at home, but it's also just under 3lbs. For multi-day trips where I packup everyday I take the Synmat UL. I used thermarests for years and always slept poorly, now I sleep through the night. My rest is worth the pond or so weight penalty. Honestly, since I don't pack all the extra junk I see most guys carrying I could probably take my Megamat everywhere and still be around the same weight.

OP
Northpark

Northpark

WKR
Therm-a-Rest UL pads are very loud. Imagine a bag of chips as you move around (something I do every 1-2 hours as a rotate). It’s annoying to me but even more annoying when your partner has one if you share a shelter. And they are only 2.5” thick.

Exped pads are about 1/4 as noisy as the two Therm-a-Rest pads that I have owned, and they are also 3.5” thick. These are two huge factors for me.

The level of comfort is far greater for me with an Exped pad. I am a side sleeper, so the thickness is much more important. If you sleep on your back, it’s not as big of a deal. I inflate my pads about 85% of capacity so that my shoulder and hip get about 1.5” of ‘penetration’ below the plane of the pad. This really helps with sleeping on the ground, which is already less than ideal. I couldn’t imagine sleeping on a fully inflated pad on my side, it’s basically just keeping you warm at that point.

I have spent 17 years and hundreds of nights sleeping in the backcountry. It has been a long learning process. If you haven’t already, I would spend a few nights sleeping on the pad you buy before your hunt. There is nothing worse than operating on no sleep in the backcountry because you hate something about your sleep system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I kind of laughed in a sad sort of way at this because I have already been down the road of getting a terrible nights sleep because I didn’t try my sleep system first. A couple nights of freezing come to mind. Was wondering though which exped pad you enjoy best?

slim9300

WKR
I kind of laughed in a sad sort of way at this because I have already been down the road of getting a terrible nights sleep because I didn’t try my sleep system first. A couple nights of freezing come to mind. Was wondering though which exped pad you enjoy best?

So many nights of shitty sleep here too. I posted real early but included some more info when I felt like my post needed more context. Here is my original post.

This is similar to my SynMat HL Winter LW. I have been using this pad now for three or four years. I have tried a few different pads over the course of 17 years of backpack hunting, and this is my favorite. I have one for me and the wife. The mummy design is perfect for wide shoulders and tall people (never thought I would say that), but at the same time not being overly heavy. I’m 6’ 3” and 195#. It’s as comfortable as a sub 2 pound pad gets with some seam sealer lines/dots. The only one more comfortable is my DownMat 9 DLX, but that’s not going on any backpacking trips.

78159855c539ba5aa9911eaf377cc880.jpg

I've tried a few and currently using an Exped Synmat UL wide. I have a terrible time sleeping on any mat but this level of comfort and that extra width have made a big difference in the amount of sleep I get.

I'll add that I'm a side sleeper.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Find a store and try out several. As nice as the Exped mats are, those lengthwise baffles suck to ME. I much prefer a pad with a different arrangement than vertical baffles. I'm still waiting for all the Klymit pads to go through the new testing standard to see what their R values shake out at. I have one of their 30" wide pads and it's like sleeping on your bed at home. I know Sea to Summit and a couple others took a pretty big hit when the R value standard was implemented. Section Hiker has a table with all the pads that have been tested and what their old and new R ratings are.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

elijah

FNG
So just got my 10 degree el coyote quilt (awesome by the way) now I’m looking for the right pad. Right now I’ve got a Klymit v pad 20” wide. Think the r value on it is like 4.1. The pad is OK but I’m not in love with it. It’s fairly lightweight and packs down rather small but it’s just sort of meh for me. I do feel like it might be a little narrow which might be part of the problem.

Anyways what pads are you all using? I like insulation even in the summer. It’s weird, at home I sleep really warm like find myself not using any blankets warm but put me in a tent and I get cold fast.
I’ve had good luck with the Neoair xlite but i may look into something with a lil more insulation

I use the xlite and add a Z-rest foam pad under it if it’s going to be especially cold. It has worked well for me, but one thing I really don’t like about it is how many breaths it takes to inflate. I swear I’m huffing and puffing for a good 2 minutes, getting lightheaded, stopping for a break, blowing some more. It’s ridiculous.

I understand they used to make a pump bag or something to inflate it with but discontinued it. Several other companies make them but they are not compatible with my version of the xlite.

I’ve had mine for several years though and haven’t looked into it for a while so maybe it’s improved. Anyway, works great once inflated, it’s just on a backpacking trip or something where I’m inflating it everyday, it gets pretty tedious.

Elkangle

WKR
Another exped fan here...the winter is too warm for September & a 15 degree bag + bivy for me ....considering keeping the mat but going to a colder bag...either that or get the summer version pad....maybe both 😅

Either way the design is comfortable, durable, and less noise then many other pads out there

Gmul

FNG
I haven’t tried it in the fuel yet but I just bought the sea to summit ether light xt insulated in a regular wide. For a side sleeper I have no complain since taking naps on it at home

slim9300

WKR

Lando

WKR

HuntnPack

WKR
Upgraded my sleep system for this coming season.
Going to a Exped Synmat UL Winter LW
Good size pad, Comfortable, warm,
Not too heavy.
Nemo Riff 15* bag.
inflatable pillow.
Ground sheet.
😴😴😴