Best pant for early August Colorado

chwebb03

FNG
Going on a week long hike first week of August. Will be high and low elevation. Price not an issue. Prefer solid color. I have prana zions which i love but belt loops just seem to lack. Pants seem to sag, maybe lack of ass. Also have some Sitka ascents. Don't really like the no stretch waist and no pockets in the butt. Been looking at the Sitka Mountain pants, maybe SG dehaviland lites, not opposed to non hunting brands? Also for this time of year how light of a pant should i go?

Tanks guys

11boo

WKR
I’ve done it in cotton/mil surplus. A lot, but the new stuff is leaps and bounds ahead. Well worth the high sticker price on the DWR stuff. Way more hot days than cold then, but be ready for anything.

CoStick

WKR
Get a light pair that can zip into shorts and have base layers for weather. Wouldn’t overthink it, you will see many people taking a trip twice as long in cut off jeans

dapesche

WKR
Get a light pair that can zip into shorts and have base layers for weather. Wouldn’t overthink it, you will see many people taking a trip twice as long in cut off jeans
Agreed. August is not a time when you need super techy gear.

I've spent money on late season pants because I don't want to get cold to a point where I am forced off a mtn.

In August you just need something breathable.

I use Prana Zions myself

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Titan_Bow

WKR
Not sure how much experience you have in the high country or how much time you’ve spent in our mountains, but be prepared for anything, especially if you are going to be above 12k feet. If I were going for a week, I’d likely be wearing Prana Zions. I’d have lightweight merino base layer bottoms with me, a long sleeve upf50 lightweight hoody (Freefly or kuiu 145) a merino tshirt, lightweight puffy and lightweight rain gear. I would bring a pair of gloves and a knit cap too. Never underestimate how cold it can potentially get when a high country storm rolls in or when the sun sets. There’s no humidity at that altitude to hold heat so as soon as the sun disappears the temp drops. Bring sunscreen and use it. The radiant energy of the sun is much greater at 10-12k feet than it is close to sea level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
I wear the Kuiu Tiburons all summer in the high country. It can be absurdly hot with the sun exposure above treeline and they are cooler than a lot of shorts + keep the sun off of your skin. I do carry some light baselayer pants for cool evenings and mornings, however.

Also highly recommend a sun hoodie with thumb hole, sun hat and super thin neck gaiter.

cjl32

Lil-Rokslider
Eddie Bauer Guide Pro or Guide Chino pants are thinner than Prana Zions, but I have noticed the pocket stitching on the latest EB pants isn't as durable as the older pairs I've had. Walmart has a wrangler brand pant that seems to be in between thickness of the EB pants and Zions. If cost isn't an issue the Kuiu Tiburon with side zips are really nice when things heat up.

Please take notice of Titan_Bow's advice on the weather. I spend a week in Colorado every August camping and fishing with my dad and son. We call it the 3 generation trip and I'll keep saving vacation for it as long as my dad (71) is able and my son (19) is willing. We usually camp around 7,500'-8,000'. It can get pretty cold at night and in the mornings. I always have a fleece and rain poncho with me no matter how good the weather looks.

j33

WKR
Eddie Bauer Guide Pro or Guide Chino pants are thinner than Prana Zions, but I have noticed the pocket stitching on the latest EB pants isn't as durable as the older pairs I've had. Walmart has a wrangler brand pant that seems to be in between thickness of the EB pants and Zions. If cost isn't an issue the Kuiu Tiburon with side zips are really nice when things heat up.

Please take notice of Titan_Bow's advice on the weather. I spend a week in Colorado every August camping and fishing with my dad and son. We call it the 3 generation trip and I'll keep saving vacation for it as long as my dad (71) is able and my son (19) is willing. We usually camp around 7,500'-8,000'. It can get pretty cold at night and in the mornings. I always have a fleece and rain poncho with me no matter how good the weather looks.
I wore my current set a few times and already the stitching is ripping apart, fly zipper is coming loose. Gonna return my set and get another set thanks to the lifetime warranty.

Ordered Kuiu Kutana pants as kinda getting tired of the Eddie Bauer's seams. Also the extra belt loops will be nice, something lacking with the Eddie Bauer's and I find my belt rides up higher than it should.

Slugz

WKR
Duluth Trading Flexpeditions. Breathe better than my Kuiu Attacks, cooler, thinner and dry quicker. These are my go to September archery pants until the first snow then out come the Kuiu Attacks.

Lytro

WKR
I find myself wearing Kuiu Attacks year round. The hip vents make them bearable in the warmer months, and a good base layer underneath keep me plenty warm for spot and stalk hunting. I just wear solids and I'm pretty sure I killed all 8 of my deer in them last year from September to late December. I've heard the Prana's are somewhat similar though.

Kuiu Kutana pants is what I wear from Wyoming August antelope, CO September archery elk, up to late Oct. eastern plains deer. Pants are lightweight, breathable, hip vents to dump heat, and durable. The fit tends to be on the athletic not baggy side so shop accordingly.

Look at weave more so then thickness. My kuhl renegades are thinner then my zion’s but zions are 2x the breathability

Jimss

WKR
Kuiu tiburons have my vote. It almost feels like I don't have pants on when wearing them! They are super light weight as well. I used the bighorn scouting at 9.000 to 13,000' elevation a couple seasons ago and were great all summer. I brought along a base layer plus rain pants for when it got chilly or rainy.

A lot depends on the elevation you will be spending time? Weather often changes quickly in the high alpine but you may not need layers if lower elevation?