Best Pants Under $100

OR Ferrosi. I haven’t tried the new fabric, but the old ones are my favorite hot weather pants. Not water resistant or camo, but they dry fast and camo is unnecessary. Can be had on sale for ~$45.

kravguy

WKR
I own all 3 of the ones listed most on this thread. Will give the good, bad, ugly of each.

Eddie Bauer guides are my favorite pants. They just fit my body type well, are super comfortable. Not as cheap as others, but they are always on sale somewhere. Bad / Ugly is I've had a few "faulty pairs" 1 that had a belt loop not stitched correctly. Stitching came loose like first time thru the washer, and it's been hanging since. Stitching seems to eventually come loose on most of the cargo pockets. A few pairs of mine the cargo pockets are useless now. If I put something in, its dropping out the bottom of my pants. I also have a few pairs that have a hole worn on the back pocket from my wallet. I wear these pants everyday some are about 5-6 yrs old now.

Wrangler ATG, are okay, especially for their $20 price tag. For me personally, somewhere the fit is off. Not sure if its tight in the hips / butt, loose in the waste or what. But for whatever reason, I bend over and I'm just about showing some crack every time. If you are one of those guys that don't mind that and always have cracking showing, they could be your favorite pants. The front hand pockets are also weird. Not sure if it's the shape, location, or size but something about them is off.

Prana Zion, I really wanted to like, especially from the rave reviews they get on here. I actually like everything about them. They fit well. Like the little belt that comes with them. My biggest problem is they have not been very durable for me at all. I bought 3 or 4 pairs and down to my last one. They all seem to tear in the same area, around the front of the thigh. As you squat down working, this only increases the size of the tear, until 1/2 of my leg is showing.

I bought all 3 to work in. I'm still wearing all 3. I won't buy any more wrangler due to the fit. I won't buy any more Prana Zion, because I cannot trust they will last longer than a few days. While I don't like all the issues I've had with stitching on Eddie Bauers. I'm still in them.

Venom One

WKR
Prana Zion:
Prana Zion's are popular, but I find them to be too tight/clingy and the overall function of the pants lacking with just a single side pocket that seems to be thrown on as an afterthought. The material is hard to beat - lightweight and stretchy with good water repellency.

Kuhl:
For an everyday pant with style and comfort, Kuhl makes some good choices. The material isn't nearly as stretchy as the Zion's, but they aren't clingy like the Zion's and I love the cell phone pocket. These have become my favorite pants.

The ideal pant IMO would be pants with the fit/function/style of the Kuhl's, but made with Prana's material.

Last edited:
OP
F
Damn, somehow I missed all the replies and figured this was a dead thread. Thanks for all the input.

I ended up grabbing these because they had some decent reviews elsewhere and the price/discount was hard to beat. We'll see how they work. Anyone used them before?

Az wildcat

Lil-Rokslider
Damn, somehow I missed all the replies and figured this was a dead thread. Thanks for all the input.

I ended up grabbing these because they had some decent reviews elsewhere and the price/discount was hard to beat. We'll see how they work. Anyone used them before?
I had a pair of the killik hiking pants or solid color pants.

For the price they’re not terrible but I wouldn’t buy them again. I didn’t like the pocket layout and for a guy with an ass they were tight.

They did breathe pretty well though and were fairly durable. I eventually wore thru the crotch but still use them for task around the house where I don’t care if they get paint/stain on them.

OP
F
I had a pair of the killik hiking pants or solid color pants.

For the price they’re not terrible but I wouldn’t buy them again. I didn’t like the pocket layout and for a guy with an ass they were tight.

They did breathe pretty well though and were fairly durable. I eventually wore thru the crotch but still use them for task around the house where I don’t care if they get paint/stain on them.
I'm scrawny as hell so I should be able to fit into them OK. I'll try em out and if I don't like them I have plenty of other options from this thread. Thanks again to everyone who posted

Another vote for prana. The brions aren’t bad either, you just lose the cargo pocket (which I never use)

Drenalin

WKR
OR Ferrosi. I haven’t tried the new fabric, but the old ones are my favorite hot weather pants. Not water resistant or camo, but they dry fast and camo is unnecessary. Can be had on sale for ~$45.
What's the noise level like on the Ferrosi pants? I always assumed they were a softshell type fabric and probably pretty "swishy."

What's the noise level like on the Ferrosi pants? I always assumed they were a softshell type fabric and probably pretty "swishy."
Mine are softer and quieter than my zions. Both are previous iterations, not the current materials, fwiw.

Those wrangler ATG's are great...I bought some to replace the UA cotton cargo pants they don't seem to make anymore, those wear (and are) my favorite

jd1006

WKR
I agree on the Ferrosi. Really doesn’t have much for pockets, but the material is excellent for lightweight. Otherwise, I’d be trying to find a pair of discounted Kuiu Kutanas. The new Prana Stretch material isn’t what it used to be.

I agree on the Ferrosi. Really doesn’t have much for pockets, but the material is excellent for lightweight. Otherwise, I’d be trying to find a pair of discounted Kuiu Kutanas. The new Prana Stretch material isn’t what it used to be.
I absolutely love my Kutanas. Ferrosi for hot weather nice terrain, Kutana for hot weather stabby terrain.

jd1006

WKR
Outdoor Vitals has a pant that is $125 that I think is basically the Kutana in a slightly different cut. They seem to source their fabric with Toray and the description of the pant fabric (stretch woven nylon with no elastane/spandex) is the same as the Kutana description. They also have hip vents.

DE302duck

FNG
If it's dry out, I love my Mountain Khaki alpine work pants. 3 years going strong.

I'll give a 14th vote (or whatever it's up to) for the Wranglers. Needed some backup pants to my Attacks for archery elk this year. Ended up buying two pair from Wally World for $47 total. Wore them more days than my $130 Attacks. Like kravguy said, the fit is a little off. To get enough room in the legs I needed to size up 2" in the waist, but I have lineman legs. The cargo pockets are also a little small. But there's good stretch and I thought they breathed and dried very well. As a bonus, I didn't care at all when I shredded the lower pant leg in one pair going over deadfall packing my bull out. The durability of the pant is not great but you can't complain about that for $23.50 a pair.

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
Chalk up another vote for the Wranglers. Super comfortable and fit is great. I've flogged many pairs and they hold up great.