Best pieces from each hunting brand including gloves and why?

OP
U

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
Pants: First Lite. The waist band stretches and allows for layering. I hate tight hunting clothes and FL is the most comfortable for me. I have a pair of the old Kanab pants and my wife has sewed and repaired rips and tears several times. My personal favorite.
Boots: Lowa Tibet. Extremely comfortable and provide a lot of ankle support, which I need.
Rain pants: FL
Base layer. Cabela's merino or synthetic depending on temps and how far I am going in.
Mid layer: Kuiu, Sitka, and Kryptek. Not brand loyal. Whatever was on sale.
Jacket: Kryptek in Camo and LL Bean in blaze orange. Got both on sale.
Vest: Primos. Has a lot of pockets for glasses, calls, etc., I cut off liner and stuff I don't need.
Gloves: Hot shot. Light weight and cheap. I don't spend much money on gloves.
Hats: Multiple brands, depending on temps.Anything works in warm weather. Wool when its really cold.

Thanks Mosby!

HoneyDew

WKR
KUIU: Strongfleece 260 Hoody. Durable, warm, pick resistant (so nice here in catclaw country).
First Lite: Chamberlin. Good heavens is that thing a warm jacket. Grizzly 2.0 gloves are a close 2nd.
Sitka: Lightweight Core Hoody. I never thought I'd move away from merino but those shirts are killer.
I forgot about the chamberlain. I use that thing probably more non-hunting than hunting. Just because I’m not in the woods too much once the temps drop that much. Things a damn furnace. Just picked up a pair of the original grizzly mitts off of here. They’re a little tighter than I hoped but looking forward to trying them out in the field.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
base layer top- Sitka Core Lwt Hoody- breathes well, dries fast, hood is very handy
mid-layer top- Patagonia Nano Air Light hoody, I've tried a ton of active layer tops- this is the best so far
windshirt- toss up between Black Diamond Alpine Start and the Patagonia military Houdini
pants- Sitka Ascent early, Timberline late
puffy- Nunatak Apex hoody- have a 2.5 and a 3.6, one for early, one for late
boots- have Crispi Thor's and with a couple of hundred miles on them, me likey so far

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
What are the best pieces of gear you have used and continue to use from each hunting brand? Including gloves from each company.
Biggest standout item for me is the Browning wicked wings smoothbore hoodie. The one with a kangaroo pocket and upper chest pocket that goes all the way across. I wear it all the time but it really shines during early archery. Keeps me warm, breathes well, dries fast. Super sleek and quiet. And best of all I can keep my rangefinder in the upper chest pocket. When it gets chilly during duck season, a pair of hand warmers in the chest pocket is the greatest.

second would be my Timberline pants. Nuff said

Mechanix gloves with a coat of silicone spray and some Sitka merino 3 finger liners

Anyone using Kryptek? I have been looking at their altitude line. It’s just kind of more expensive than the other brands. The Ghar Jacket looks well made any thoughts?
I picked up a ghar for $180 a few months ago. It's a nice jacket but I wish it had a hood.

Sitka thunderhead jacket, not everyone loves that line but I do.
Sitka waterfowl gear, all of it. Finally waterfowl-specific clothing that’s not sold at Walmart.
wrangler pants good pants at a great price point.

Anyone using the Talus Hybrid pants?
I used the talus hybrid pants 2 seasons. Used then as my only pants on last 3 back country elk hunts, 4-6 days in the field at a time. They are very comfortable and durable good warmth and best is the hip vents. Only 2 thing i don’t like about them are 1 lack of a gusseted crotch (like all kuiu pants)2. the knee pads when wearing gaiters make a pocket above my knees that holds water in the rain and make the pants start absorbing water there.

OP
U

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
I used the talus hybrid pants 2 seasons. Used then as my only pants on last 3 back country elk hunts, 4-6 days in the field at a time. They are very comfortable and durable good warmth and best is the hip vents. Only 2 thing i don’t like about them are 1 lack of a gusseted crotch (like all kuiu pants)2. the knee pads when wearing gaiters make a pocket above my knees that holds water in the rain and make the pants start absorbing water there.

Thank you for the input!

OP
U

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider

How is the water repellency on them?

I got on the badlands band wagon and I love their mag bino harness and also the venture jacket. Couldn’t be happier. Jacket is super verticals from cool days all the way through very cold and that bino harness goes everywhere with me.

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
First Lite merino baselayers
Sitka pretty much everything I’ve had is excellent
Kuiu Raingear

Hondo

WKR
Some standouts that first come to mind.

Sitka: Jetstream Jacket, Core LW Hoody, Fanatic Hoody, Grinder Pants
Kuiu: Pro Pants, Katana Pants, Peloton 240 Hoody, Kenai Beanie
First Lite: Wick Aerowool anything, Talus Gloves, Corrugate Pants, Uncompahgre Vest

Binoculars: Leica 10x25 compact binoculars

Boots: Whites Outdoorsman non-insulated with Montana Claw lug sole

Bullets: Nosler Accubond, Partition, and E-Tip bullets

Snow Shoes: MSR Lightning Ascent

Spotting Scope: Leupold 15-30x50mm Gold Ring Compact

Bipod: Harris

Pac Boots: Schnees Hunter II boots

Any gloves you guys would recommend for 60s down to 30 degree weather from any brand that are good while hunting?
SKRE deadfall on sale or off camofire for $20-25 they are basically a Sitka mountain glove at a fraction of the price. The only pair I pack or use until the down mittens come out

OP
U

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
SKRE deadfall on sale or off camofire for $20-25 they are basically a Sitka mountain glove at a fraction of the price. The only pair I pack or use until the down mittens come out

Thank you I will check the gloves out they seem like a great option. Thanks again!