Best pieces from each hunting brand including gloves and why?

ZDR

WKR
Im surprised theres not more mention of SKRE clothing. Super well made gear. I like sitka as well but FL sizing is just whacked for me. Kuiu merino is quality gear as well.

Shraggs

WKR
Base layers, first light for me

pants, first light Kanab and Sitka timberline

gloves, all I use is wool all year round different weights of Marino or rag wool. They let my hands breathe

really have grown into loving the first light highbred the sawtooth as a active mid layer in the cold

Another mid layer piece I love the L.L. Bean wool commando sweater. Very warm breaths really well and freedom of movement.

OP
U

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
Boots - I have owned a lot of Scarpa over the years, but recently bought a pair of Crispi's (Thor II GTX) and will stay with that brand. Maybe my feet got a little wider or something... but I was getting numb/sore in the balls of my feet after a few days of stomping... and the slightly wider toe box of the Crispi's solved that problem.
Gloves - Best I have found are a pair of insulated Cabela's with leather palm. Not sure what they're called, but they cost about $60. My son has pretty much made off with them. I tried to "upgrade" to KUIU Yukon Pro but they are just garbage. Heavy and my hands freeze. I have liked the KUIU Super Down PRO Glassing Glomitt... but haven't used them a ton.
Pants - KUIU Attack are amazing. Most comfortable pair of pants I've ever owned.
Base Layers - Agree with some others that KUIU's zip-off base layers are awesome. SO much more likely to adjust layers if I don't have to remove my boots! Also a big fan of silk base layers (REI, LL Bean, etc.). They make a huge difference in a very small and thin package.
Socks - Darn Tough / SmartWool. I usually run a merino liner sock as well. Helps ensure no blisters/hot spots.
Insulated Jacket - Really like my KUIU Super Down Ultra. Weighs practically nothing... but very warm.

Which one do you have hooded or non hooded ultra?

mahons24

FNG
I've worn my First Lite Klamath hoodie on extremely cold hunts and it has been amazing at keeping me warm but also breathes enough to keep from overheating. I just got a First Lite Wick hoodie for early season hunts in their new Specter camo for Colorado Archery season. I've worn in on two turkey hunts this past month to see if the camo will work in the mountains and so far it has been great.

OP
U

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
I've worn my First Lite Klamath hoodie on extremely cold hunts and it has been amazing at keeping me warm but also breathes enough to keep from overheating. I just got a First Lite Wick hoodie for early season hunts in their new Specter camo for Colorado Archery season. I've worn in on two turkey hunts this past month to see if the camo will work in the mountains and so far it has been great.

The Klamath hoodie seems just like the peloton 240 hoodie from Kuiu they both are about the same weight as well.

- First Lite merino (if you gotta have camo) otherwise icebreakers.
- Kuiu Attack pants
- Arcteryx Jackets
- Darn Tough Socks
- Boots are to complicated to pick a brand. If there’s one place to be picky and spendy this is it.
- Gloves from the farm store...stick your hands in your pants. They wear out and get lost to easy.
- GoHunt softie hat! Love that thing haha.
- Military fleece cap
-SKRE...SKRE 300 merino hoody

Last edited:

fngTony

Okay Moderator
Staff member
Sitka- lightweight or heavyweight hoodie
Kuiu- attack pants, Yukon gaiters (only ones that fit my calves and boots)
Kryptek- ? No experience
Firstlite- uncompahgre, I think it’s their only long running item?
Skre- I really like there wool but it’s been updated which I haven’t tried
Stone glacier- no experience but the Helios top looks like a sitka hwh in a solid color
Black diamond- gloves,
OR- insulation (bang for your buck) ultra light rain gear (helium series)
Columbia-(ya, I’m putting them on the list) boonie hats and anything made for sun protection.
kings camo- climatex rain paints. It’s like space rain with full leg zips
Cabelas- jerky seasoning
Bass pro- orange vest Maybe?
Sportsman’s warehouse- Sitka
Arcteryx- checking account overdraft/ second mortgage :)

WyoKid

WKR
I’m

Any other gloves that you like for when hunting in cold weather from the 60s down to 30s? I was looking at the catalyst soft shell from first lite they have some decent reviews.
I like OR gloves especially for shooting as I get more feel from them. Depending on weather I run with the cold shot or suppressor. I also have used the firemark. I use FL mittens for glassing in the cold.