Best pillow for backpacking?

OP
jonny5

jonny5

Lil-Rokslider
Man, thanks for all the replies, guys! I'm going to have to start testing out some of these options...keep the suggestions coming!

jonny5

Gman

WKR
Ah this one is so tricky because everyone has different comfort levels. I tried the Montbel infallible and hated it. Gave it to a good buddy and he likes it. I love my small Western Mountaineering down pillow I got as a throw in when I bought my bag. Haven't found anything better yet.

Good luck.

Craig4791

WKR
Another Cocoon user here. I've had mine for two seasons now i think it weighs in at 4 oz

gsjackson

FNG
Hi Jonny 5,
I have had similar issues and read in one of my western hunting magazines that an indiviudal used an empty fleece pillow case and filled it with some
of his clothes and it worked well. I have not done this myself but I certainly thought the idea had real possibilities. Just sayin'.

GS Jackson

Lawnboi

WKR
Tried the clothing in a stuff sack thing, didn't do it for me.

I got a cocoon pillow. Its fleece on one side and sil on the other, so you can flip it depending on how warm you are. Air filled. Weighs 3oz.

Ill never leave without it, works perfect.

Just thinking of ideas. How about packing a pillow case and stuffing it with clothes or maybe an unused game bag if you want to save weight.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just thinking of ideas. How about packing a pillow case and stuffing it with clothes or maybe an unused game bag if you want to save weight.

Have tried both....the problem is getting something the right size that stays closed so the clothes you use for stuffing don't just fall out. Also game bags tend to retain a slight odor of bleach and dead animals, at least in my experience...not really noticeable from any distance, but put your face in one for 8 hours and it will make you want to gag :)

trk3263

WKR
I am not much of a pillow user at home and when I do I normally have it over my head instead of under. (I am a stomach sleeper). I do have a cocoon ultralight aircore only because I picked it up for cheap and sometimes take it but I barely put any air in it.
Now I am about to check the net for the down pillow. Thanks just another $ spent from this sight. Lol

Oh and when I don't take my cocoon I normally use my down jacket/vest as a pillow. My BA bag has a pillow stuff sack built in which works great for stuffing with clothes.

Last edited:

JNDEER

WKR
OK, I had to give it a shot, picked up a cocoon tonight.... feels pretty comfy. :)

toy around with the amount of air you put in it. This really helps if you know how much air you prefer for a good night sleep before actually useing it.

Not sure what bag you will be useing, but I have found in my BA bag that if I put it in the pillow in the pillow case and pull the hood on top of the pillow as well it makes for a super soft night sleep.

Have done the folded up clothes in stuff sack thing before and hated it. Best I've found so far is a puffy jacket stuffed into it's own pocked. Spindrift treated me alright last year, really looking forward to the FirstLite puffy this year!

Mike

littlebuf

Banned
i guess non of you are man enough for a purple hippo pillow pet. you dont know what your missing. i can just about garentee its more comfy than most of the options listed here. and it stuffs into anywhere.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Like the others, I have tried a bunch of methods. The air pillows just don't cut it. The clothes/puffy falls flat for me. I know you said you don't like your Thermarest Compressible, but I haul that 9 ounces of lovliness myself. Oh so nice. It sure doesn't compress much (maybe the name is a joke?), as you noted, but it's still a long way from filling up the backpack!