Best pillow for backpacking?

jonny5

Lil-Rokslider
Howdy all,

I'm looking for any suggestions for what you use for your pillow when backpack hunting? I'm a side sleeper and always need a pillow to get comfortable in the woods. When it comes to my sleep while hunting, I have to be comfortable after a long hard day of hiking.

I've tried the ThermaRest compressible pillow in both medium and large sizes. These are comfortable, but a little on the bulky side. I've also tried a cheap blow up pillow from Sportsmans, but it was NOT very comfortable.

Has anyone tried one of the Klymit pillows?

I'm looking for any suggestions and/or personal experiences you guys would have!

Thanks in advance.

jonny5

I put all my clothes in the sleeping bags stuff sack.
Not the most comfy, but it works.

Klymit pillow is nice. I've tried one out and they work well. I just use my puffy and other extra clothes stuffed in a sack now though, I'm already carrying em, why not use em?

I have to have a decent pillow to sleep. I use the grand trunk travel pillow. Tried clothes is a stuff sack and the thermarest compressible and didnt like. Now that im packing a puffy all the time I would like to try an air pillow and the klymit looks nice. The grand trunk is a little heavy, 10 oz my scale says, but I compress it in the compression sack with my down bag and it packs up real small. It has a draw string and can be adjusted to be pretty tall for side sleeping. Worth the weight IMO but it is for sure its a bit heavy...

littlebuf

Banned
laugh if you want but this is one of the best pillows ever. my wife and daughters actually suggested it a few years back. its the small pillow pet (my 7 year old at the time got this one for me) it smashes down to nothing,weighs around 4oz (ill double check that) and actually functions like a pillow. oh and i think you can get them for like ten bucks. plus its a purple hippo, whats not to like?

Attachments

• pillow 001.jpg
    pillow 001.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 282

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I get bad tension headaches if my neck isn't just right when I sleep, so I sewed some flannel into stuff sacks that are just the right elevation for my head. I stuff my puffy coat/ vest into it at night and zip it up for a customized pillow with just the right height and firmness. Have worked so well for us the last few years that we have had several friends request them...

It weighs in at 2.6oz (which is a lot less than alot of commercial pillows out there), and eliminates the problem of my jacket going flat or moving around too much while I sleep. The height and firmness can simply be adjusted to preference by adding more stuff.

02cef5e3.jpg

Luke was training for next season with the CL, so I used it for scale...
Packed down small
09a73da1.jpg

Stuffed with a puffy jacket, I always have one along anyway...
db487670.jpg

Ready for a night of awesome sleep
8184e34b.jpg

kuhn4

Lil-Rokslider
I sewed up a fleece stuff sack to use as a pillow case. I'll put my jacket or other clothes in it. A thin strip of velcro on one end keeps everything inside. It weighs 2.2 oz and is roughly 8"x12". Easy to make, comfortable, light.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
what if you need to wear your jacket/puffy on a cold night?

You can stuff it with anything really, in a pinch I imagine game bags wrapped around other gear would work fine. We have our sleep system well dialed in down to below freezing, as this is a real possibility even during summer month in AK so we don't plan to depend on puffy clothes to increase the temp ratings of our regular camp sleeping bags. Of course I could wear my puffy clothes to bed in an unforeseen situation, and this is what we do when we we bivy out away from our main camp.
On the three nights last year that we bivied away from camp, I slept in my puffy coat and pants, and used a KU long pocket stuffed with raingear as a pillow. Not as cushy as my pillow bag but it got the job done.

JNDEER

WKR
Cocoon pillow. I sleep very well on this thing. You can find them at REI

T43

Lil-Rokslider
I have neck issues without a good pillow set up. I use a small thermarest on top of a cheap little inflatable that slides into the pillow pocket of my bag. I sleep like a baby with the set up.

bbrown

WKR
Why buy an inflatable air pillow???
Just buy a box of wine, drink wine and the blow up empty wine bag - voila "air pillow"!!!

I discovered this one night partying with friends after we found a good buddy's wife passed out in a closet using this "technique". I have to give her credit and creativity points...

I have the exped, but didn't like it. My favorite is a Thermarest camp pillow. It's not as light and takes up some space relatively speaking, but it is way more comfortable to me. I need a comfortable pillow to sleep and I'd gladly take a little weight hit for it!

X2 on useing my clothes but I'm liking that stuff sack idea. It seems light and easy.plus it'll keep the clothes from spacing out while I'm sleeping so I don't have to readjust in the middle of the night.

Jplus4

FNG
Another vote for ExPed. I take my outer layer and wrap around it and it makes it even better. I used to just roll up some clothes, but once I got the ExPed I sure sleep better! Lightweight and very packable.

jherald

WKR
+1 on stuff sack and clothing for a pillow on any trip where long distances are walked and weight is a factor.