Best place to buy Nikon p1000 camera ?

Stalker69

WKR
Any body have one of these ? If so where did you buy it from ( or any Nikon dealer I guess) Looking for the best price I can find. I tried camera land again today, and they don’t want to order one as they are not “ good” cameras I guess. Right now I get by with a 200.00 video camera and I am happy with it, except for the zoom. So I believe this will do as good , better then what I am using now.

Last edited:
I am more than happy to order one for you. Who did you speak to? The camera is a good camera,in its class, just very heavy. I can do it for you for $929.99.
We are more than happy to order one for you. Call me at the store with any questions. I am in this week m-sat. M-F 8-6 and Saturday 10-5:30

Joel
516-217-1000

I will speak with the people that worked yesterday.
We do not stock the P1000. It has a history of too many being returned too many times due to its size. We stopped stocking it well over a year ago. Plus most people shooting wildlife want a camera that is weatherproof, which it is not. In order to get this huge zoom the sensor is very small. Making images that are blown up slightly grainy. You really can't crop too much because of this also. Nikon just stopped making the P900 and it appears they are exiting the point and shoot market.
Feel free to call me at the store to discuss this
Joel
516-217-1000

Jimss

WKR
I just bought a P950. The 950 is pretty close to the P1000 without the higher price, weight, and bulk. The 83x zoom is amazing! I am also amazed that such a large camera at such high power has such great stabilization system. I'll be using it next week deer and antelope scouting. So far I'm super impressed! It is a little heavy to lug around but I really believe it is worth it. I bought mine for $650. If you want details on where I got mine or anything else send me a message.

I've used and abused a Canon SX60 with a 65x lens for years. It takes good photos and video but I think the P950 is a notch above. The Canon is smaller and pretty nice for hauling around though!

Both cameras are WAY better than a phone-scope! If you just have binos it's possible to use the camera as a spotting scope as well! 65 or 83X is definitely a lot higher zoom than 10x binos!

OP
S

Stalker69

WKR
Cool, good to hear your happy with yours. So many negative reports and then them not wanting to order one for me because they are” not any good” has kinda turned me off, but don’t know what I would buy instead.

looks like Joel is eager to help you....

I'd recommend you contact him. Been very helpful to me in the past. Good luck - lots of good options

Jimss

WKR
I'm planning on getting it out in the field the next few weeks so will have a better feel for it. I've taken shots of birds in my back yard and they really look nice. Anyone that takes bird photos know how tough it is to get great shots and it usually takes a pretty powerful lense to capture great photos!

OP
S

Stalker69

WKR
I will speak with the people that worked yesterday.
We do not stock the P1000. It has a history of too many being returned too many times due to its size. We stopped stocking it well over a year ago. Plus most people shooting wildlife want a camera that is weatherproof, which it is not. In order to get this huge zoom the sensor is very small. Making images that are blown up slightly grainy. You really can't crop too much because of this also. Nikon just stopped making the P900 and it appears they are exiting the point and shoot market.
Feel free to call me at the store to discuss this
Joel
516-217-1000

I will call you, may be towards the end of next week. But sounds as though if they exit the point and shoot market, there really will be no warranty then ?

OP
S

Stalker69

WKR
I'm planning on getting it out in the field the next few weeks so will have a better feel for it. I've taken shots of birds in my back yard and they really look nice. Anyone that takes bird photos know how tough it is to get great shots and it usually takes a pretty powerful lense to capture great photos!

Hey, now that they are not making that camera, or any of the point and shoot possibly, would you have still bought yours ( worried about warranty) ? And if you could, would you post some pictures you have taken with it ? Thanks !

Jimss

WKR
I just got it around 2 weeks ago. I'll be taking it out this week on a scouting trip. There isn't another camera available with an 85x power lens. Yes, I would buy it again! It's a great tool for scouting! All I have right now are a few bird photos from the back yard. Hopefully I have some great big game pics later this week. Nikon is a solid name in the photography field and I'm sure they are willing to back up any repairs or warrantee.

OP
S

Stalker69

WKR
Really want one, but don’t want to spend 900.00 on something that’s going to be a paper weight shortly. The 200-300 dollar video camera I don’t really care about. They last me 5-10 years and I hand them down to my sons and most are still working. This one I am not sure it will last long the way a lot of people talk about them. I am soooooooo confused. ( not the bit camera savvy, and start watching videos and they are way way over my head)

Last edited:
Another option would be a refurbed P900, Doesn't have all of the options but I think one can be had in the ball park of $500. I picked mine up from a Nikon authorized distributor 2 years ago and have been happy with it. Here is a hill side with a group of mule deer does about half a mile away, at full zoom on a tripod this is average quality with my abilities

Attachments

• Max Zoom.jpg
    Max Zoom.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 27
I haven't had my hands on a P1000 but I researched them a little when they came out and decided to stick with my P900 for economic purposes, though it would be fun to have the extra zoom and 4k video. I think you've got a handle on what they are, they do have limitations but they are a fun camera, I bought a Nikon D3500 and a P900 at the same time and they both serve their own purposes but until I spend some money on a lens the P900 comes with me in the pickup and in the backpack more often. Google pictures taken with a P1000 and watch some videos. I did use mine as a spotting scope several times last year. I'll attache some pictures of what I've gotten out of mine, not because they are great pictures but because they're representative of what they're capable of when you use max zoom. If I'm not mistaken all of their super zooms use the same sensor. In the 3rd picture the Doe is at 300 yards

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    546.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 24
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    466 KB · Views: 23
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    429 KB · Views: 23
OP
S

Stalker69

WKR
See now I think those pictures are fine, the wood duck and squirrel are fantastic in my opinion ! Do you remember how far they were, or what you were zoomed out to ? Thank you, exactly what I was looking for. And I have watched about all the hundreds and hundreds of videos and pictures taken by these cameras online. But so many of them are by “ camera snobs” and if they ain’t perfect, and cant be blowen up to poster size the camera ain’t worth buying. And most complain about the weight. I use a spotting scope now that weighs more then this camera, and really only use it to take pictures, when my small video camera can’t reach enough. So I will be eliminating that. Iam a simple man and most likely won’t ever even make a print, or know the difference between bad or good composition, pixels, bit rate, sensor size or any of that jargon. Thanks again man !

Cool, good to hear your happy with yours. So many negative reports and then them not wanting to order one for me because they are” not any good” has kinda turned me off, but don’t know what I would buy instead.
The buck stops with me and the person you spoke to has been spoken too. Yes, we don't stock it, but it is a good camera and it is a niche camera.
feel free to call me to discuss options.
I am in from 8-6 M-F. This Saturday 10-5:30

thank you!!!

Joel
516-217-1000

The wood duck was 75-100 yards and the squirrel was probably 30 yards. I don't think I would of been completely maxed out but it was probably on the outer end of the spectrum. I'll show you one more sequence, this was full zoom on the P900, no tripod, just trying to get some shots and its pretty representative of its limitations. This wolf was somewhere between 175-200 yards. I've got no complaints because by the time I would have changed lenses and gotten a chance to take the picture he probably would of been gone with my DSLR.

Attachments

• w1.jpg
    w1.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 20
  • w2.jpg
    w2.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 20
  • w3.jpg
    w3.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 20
OP
S

Stalker69

WKR
How’s the video with it ? I will be using it more for that then photos? Those aren’t Crystal clear, but not horrible either.