Best place to live Colorado

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I travel metro Denver daily for work and have lived here since 1990. Look around Brighton. Small town with enough amenities, close enough to the airport. You can find a modest home in an older neighborhood, a new build subdivision or a home in the country side.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I love living in Colorado. Sure, it has issues, but control what you can and ignore the reat as best you can. I can hunt from august to april, be in the mountains all year and do what I want in most cases as I live in the mountains. I chose this, just like anyone else can.
You can be in the mountains as long as it’s not a Thursday evening, anytime Friday or Saturday. Otherwise you get to sit on 70 for hours with every effing Subaru in the United States of America. The traffic getting to and from the mountains is becoming unbearable.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I travel metro Denver daily for work and have lived here since 1990. Look around Brighton. Small town with enough amenities, close enough to the airport. You can find a modest home in an older neighborhood, a new build subdivision or a home in the country side.
Good luck with the “good” school outside of Denver. Especially Brighton.

You can be in the mountains as long as it’s not a Thursday evening, anytime Friday or Saturday. Otherwise you get to sit on 70 for hours with every effing Subaru in the United States of America. The traffic getting to and from the mountains is becoming unbearable.
I dont live anywhere near denver, I can be in the forest within ten minutes, depending on how fast I drive through my neighborhood.

def90

WKR
It’s funny to me how all of these “best place to live in Colorado” threads start off with the requirement of being in a metro plex. Why move to Colorado to live next door to 3 million other people? I would have thought the emphasis on a forum like this would be living in the mountains.

Id be looking for small towns like Meeker, Hotchkiss, Monte Vista, Yampa....spots that you would actually know your neighbors and be able to get outside within minutes of the house.
Problem with that idea is finding employment that will actually allow you to retire some day.

Felix40

WKR
Problem with that idea is finding employment that will actually allow you to retire some day.
That’s a fair point but if I can do it so can anyone. I think the difference is that hunting and the mountains have always been a top priority for me.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
That’s a fair point but if I can do it so can anyone. I think the difference is that hunting and the mountains have always been a top priority for me.
Would you mind elaborating?

Felix40

WKR
Would you mind elaborating?
For me....I've had the long-term goal of living in the mountains and being able to hunt as much as possible driving basically everything I've done. Stuff like having a nice house, living near restaurants, having a social life, and making a lot of money have had near zero influence. So when I hear someone (especially on a mountain hunting forum) say they want to move to a metroplex with 3 million people it surprises me. If the excuse is "I like the mountains but amenities of a big city are more important", that's not my thing but I get it. If the excuse is "you cant make a living anywhere else", that's a load of crap.

I live in a town of 800 people at 8700'. We have basically 4 restaurants and 1 gas station. I have national forest within a 5 minute walk of my house. I was able to get a job here that will allow me to retire when I'm 53. You will certainly not see me driving around in a new truck or buying $105/3 broadheads but I have plenty of money for gas and tags. I know its not for everyone....I'm just saying that it is possible.

I've actually lived in two of the towns I mentioned in my first post here and they were a couple of my favorite places to have lived. I wasn't just pulling stuff out of thin air.

brsnow

WKR
If you all who hate Colorado will leave, might solve some of the issues;-)

This is the place you are looking for

All,
Other than the military, I’ve lived in Kentucky my whole life (39 yo). My family of wife and 2 kids (9 boy) (5 girl) recently went to Denver and hiked in RMNP, Red Rocks and had a great time. I’ve been a few other times. We are seriously contemplating a move there. I don’t think we can afford the house we would need in Denver. What towns should we look into most? I’ve been looking at Aurora, Longmont, Greeley to name a few. Need access to Denver airport within ~an hour. Would like good schools. Obviously, hunting, fishing, I kayak fish and Mountain Bike. Any opinions are appreciat

Titan_Bow

WKR
I’ve lived in Colorado for 16 years. We first moved to Longmont, but then moved to Broomfield about 5 years ago because my daughter is deaf and has special needs and the school district in Broomfield is amazing for her.
Sure it’s crowded and housing prices are high, but it’s a nice place to live. I don’t let others political views or an over bearing negative attitude dictate my life, so it doesn’t bother me. People are people and if you get to know them, most people are OK. I would much rather live here than back in North Carolina where I was born and raised.
For me and my family, there is a necessity to be in an area like this. Access to Childrens Hospital, access to Rocky Mountain Deaf School, access to groups, charities, summer camps for special needs kids, access to other kids like my daughter so she doesn’t feel like she is so different from everyone else. Access to so many activities that enrich our lives. None of those things would be possible in an isolated rural environment. For us, this has been a great place. Some day when my daughter is older and my son has gone on to college, my wife and I will be able to sell our house for way more than we paid for it, and move to a nice little farm property somewhere. But for now, this is home, and it’s only bad here if you dwell on things like politics or traffic. If, like me, you don’t let that stuff bother you, you’ll be happy here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ibax

Lil-Rokslider
I’m up in Fort Collins and I fly fish after work during the summer. I love it up here