Best Place to Retire in Alaska?

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
For me it's no question, I love sheep hunting so I aim to retire within the boundary lines of Wrangell St. Elias NP. I grew up out there and it will always be home to me but it definitely comes with its own challenges.

There's no natural gas so if you aren't burning wood, heating is very expensive. However, one could argue that you'll easily make that cost back because there's no property tax.

As far as a sales tax goes, it's pennies compared to the cost of groceries out there. I'll make the commute to Costco or Three Bears for my purchases.

Want blue water - go to Valdez @ 120 miles, want salmon fishing - Gulkana and Klutina are right there. Run a fish wheel on the Copper and don't ever worry about running out of reds to can, smoke, or steak.

Hunting is heavily pressured in Unit 13 but there are pockets you can find. Plus every other neighbor (just about) has a Super Cub, make friends and go scout during the summer for the cost of av gas money.

Now if I can convince the wife it's a good idea.....

dallen

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn’t consider retiring in Alaska. It’s too expensive and too cold. Don’t get me wrong, I love it here, but things are just tougher living here.

Anything on the road system is going to mean too many people. Sure you can get out to Glennallen, Tok, Healy, etc, but then you’re too far from services you’re going to want as an older person, and then cost of living is going to be twice as much as living near more populated areas. Winters are going to be hell in those parts too. Suffer through the 7 months of winter for 5 months of summer fishing and hunting, no thanks.

Hunting up here is tough and expensive. If you can drive there, so can everyone else. Have a boat and want to get away? Same story. Have a plane? Now you’re talking, but that’s a serious commitment.

The southeast may be an ok option. Juneau, Sitka, or Ketchikan might be good options. I could see myself down that way, but cost of living is still going to be crazy. That and I’ll end up going stir crazy from being stuck on little islands and will be itching to get outside every now and then.

My imagine of retirement would be somewhere in the lower 48, western part. Hop in my truck, drive a couple of hours and be into elk, deer, varmints, whatever. Then when I’ve had my fill head back home. Easy, relaxing, and fun. Add boat and planes into the equation just means more fuss and $$$, neither of which I want to deal with when I’m retired.

Again, don’t get me wrong, Alaska is an amazing and special place. Hunting and fishing up here is unlike anything the lower 48 has to offer, but it’s a lot of work, a lot of money, or both to get away from the crowds and into the “real” Alaskan.

Then again, if you can afford to snowbird and have the best of both worlds, by all means come on up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^This is my thought also. I love it up here, and I'm positive I'll miss the freedom and solitude that this place offers. But after almost 30 years (30 winters) of living here....I'm about ready for more sun and the ability to do some more upland bird and waterfowl hunting. We have some land in ID, and will be heading there for retirement in a few years. I'll keep my cabin here, so I'll have a place to come up and hang out. The sheep thing.....that's going to be the hard one. I'm just going to have to hit it hard until that time comes.

boom

WKR
man..AK looks great on paper. and from my current position of relative health and youth.

fast forward to when i'm old; no thanks. nobody mentioned hospitals and doctors. i assume the frequency of medical visits go up with age. it would be a non-starter if someone needs to pluck you from an alpine lake to get medical treatment.. or have some pilot drop tiny parachutes with your blood thinner meds.

EastMT

WKR
My father is retired here on a modest retirement. You have to have your house paid for, cars paid off, minimum bills. They head south for the winter, have a camper down where it's warm and doctors are cheaper. Hunts more from an ATV than hiking at his age, but it can be done, it's not that expensive if you don't buy a $250k house right before you retire. He built a small cabin, heating is cheap because its summer, lives on fish and game most of the year.

Some of the rural areas allow 2 subsistence caribou, fills the freezer for a year for 2. Not easy, but who wants easy, that's no fun! My mom is adventurous, and that's the important part, how bad do you want it? If you kind of want it, it's not doable. If you really want it, are committed, your wife is also, it's fine. If not it is expensive to move twice.