Best pliers for griffs and burrs and cactus

JonS

WKR
Took my Griff out today and probably brushed/picked off 80 burrs, 200 seeds and a few cactus in the pads of mine and buddys dogs.
I have a leatherman original my Grandfather gave to me when I got my Eagle Scout. Picking cactus spines out was not easy without a spring opening. Is there a better option, cheap or expensive. Saw the leatherman sidekick and wingman that appear to have a spring activated pliers. What do most carry?
Thanks

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider
Might check out the Leatherman Squirt. I haven't used it to pull cactus spines but the pliers are spring activated and work very well. A bonus is it comes in a small package and weighs very little. Mine are with me on all of my backcountry hunts.

lks2

FNG
I carry metal combs and large tweezers for my griff. The burrs come out well with the comb and I use my leatherman/ tweezers for cactus. I also have a bottle of cowboy magic detangle spray I keep at the truck, it makes the combing easier.

WKR
I just use Pam spray on beards and other thick hair spots. Never had many cactus issues but goat heads are a bad deal.

ElPollo

WKR
I keep a leatherman squirt on my key chain for this. It’s gotten more use for porky quills, cactus and sand burrs than anything.

large leatherman could work or hemostats. I have a pair that were retired from dentistry use that are quite good on cactus spines. They aren’t spring operated but the handles fit well around your fingers for precise control (FWIW I have a spaniel not a griff)

Last edited:
OP
JonS

JonS

WKR
Thanks all, I carried a metal comb with thick and thin spaced bristles to remove burrs and seeds. Missed one seed in her eye that had us at the vet Monday morning with a corneal ulcer and some antibiotics. Check them eyes for sure!
Also have a leatherman sidekick coming and will add a metal hemostat, probably curved.
Thanks again and happy hunting!