Best powder for .35 Whelen?

Treerat-sniper

Lil-Rokslider
I'm running a .358 Win (35 Whelen short) with 200 gr. Hornady SPs but have had good luck with H4895, RL15 & W748. I've heard good things about TAC but I haven't been able to locate any.

Last edited:
used r15 with 225 partitions for a few years. Accuracy was really good, but seems like my velocity was a little slow of max book loads......no pressure signs probably just needed a little more powder. Never messed with it because always put 3 inside an inch.

Along those lines, do you have a recommendation for a mild whitetail load? I have some 180 Hot Cor and 200 TTSX. Just need it accurate not looking for max loads. Please advise…
Given you mention these two bullets, I take it that information for other bullets really doesn't do you any good other than for being information.

200 TTSX and 55 or 56 gr of IMR4064 should be perfect for a mild load. I run that bullet and powder in my 35 Whelen AI. I run it with top powder charges after working up, but I'm bumping that bullet into elk yearly out to 350 yards for the longest shot so far. Mild (reduced velocity) isn't a requirement or desire.

I've had good success with lots of other medium to medium fast powders. 8208XBR, CFE223, TAC, 3031, RL15, RL17,WW748, Allaint Power Pro Varmint. Especially when you're talking a mild (reduced velocity) load, that opens up a whole lot of options to get the job done. Some of them just won't be as good on the top end if you want to open the throttle for higher velocity.

Heres a link to the latest Speer data, 180 gr. Hot Cor. https://reloadingdata.speer.com/downloads/speer/reloading-pdfs/rifle/35_Whelen_180.pdf

They have some modern data with a lot of powders that get some incredible velocities. Of course you can load those down as well.

Ultimately if the shooting is on the longer side for distance, I'd go with the TTSX even in a lower velocity load as it has decent bc.

If aerodynamics aren't as critical for woods ranges, the 180 Hot Cor at lower velocity would be great for nostalgia as a traditional "cup and core" bullet load

Last edited: