Best Practices for Making Purchases on the Classified Section

joedawjes

FNG
I'm a new user, and I plan to make some purchases in the Classifieds section in the future. However, it's not clear to me how to ensure someone receives my payment but also sends the item.

What's the most common way to make purchases on this site? And how do 3rd party service providers ensure that requirements are met for the seller and buyer?

PayPal Goods and Services will protect you if you need to file a claim. Use your credit card to pay PayPal and you are double protected.
  • Buy from long-standing members with good feedback. I also look at posts to make sure they are actual hunters as some accounts are created and lay dormant for a few months then pounce.
  • Watch for bad English or someone who doesn't know anything about hunting.
  • Be extremely careful when you post a "Want to Buy" ad as the scumbags will reach out to you
The scammers on Rokslide are not normal members or likely even hunters, but they prey on our trusting nature so be careful. That said, I've had great experiences buying and selling A LOT on here.

PayPal Goods & Services offers the buyer some protection, but it's not a 100% guarantee that they will side with the buyer in any and every dispute and they won't help at all with transactions involving weapons or ammo.

Protect yourself by researching the seller. Positive feedback, frequent substantive posts, and longtime membership are all good signs. Ask for photos of whatever you're buying.

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
You can ask for a photo with the current date and your name on paper in the picture to be sure they actually have the item

Gotta be willing to walk away of it seems to good to be true or if any thing seems suspect. And like others said check there feed back and there posts if they dont participate on here with anything useful id walk away.

ETtikka

WKR
PayPal Goods & Services offers the buyer some protection, but it's not a 100% guarantee that they will side with the buyer in any and every dispute and they won't help at all with transactions involving weapons or ammo.

Protect yourself by researching the seller. Positive feedback, frequent substantive posts, and longtime membership are all good signs. Ask for photos of whatever you're buying.
Agreed, and on the flip side, if your the seller , good and services will NOT help you if the buyer is dishonest

mlgc20

WKR
Don't buy from anyone who insists on Venmo or Zelle. Those services offer no buyer protection. Paypal G&S buyers protection isn't perfect. But, it's a far cry better than the nothing offered by Venmo or Zelle. Zelle will even tell you not to use them for buying stuff online.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Once people low ball, I’ll never deal with them ever again.

If people cost me $$$ I will never deal with them again.

I had one guy give me the wrong zip code. When I went to track the package, I saw it was going to the wrong city. I paid usps 25.00 to intercept the package and refunded the guy all of his $$$ (even though it was 100% his mistake for giving me the wrong zip code).

The guy didn’t even say “thank you”….just typical rudeness….”make sure you tel me when you refund the money”….when I was out cash because of his mistake. I will Never EVER deal with that guy for any any reason what so ever.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Avoid people who go through the whole process with you and then at the very end they tell you they are in Canada.

That is annoying as hell. Canadians need to get comfortable with the fact that they can’t just get all the awesome stuff we have in the USA.

zacattack

WKR
Use common sense, if it smells fishy it probably is. Check out the persons post history. And pay attention to how they write and the words they use.

All in all I’ve had very good success as both a buyer and a seller here.

Alchemy

WKR
If they call you “buddy” or say the word “kindly send payment” run away fast….. my only advice

You can ask for a photo with the current date and your name on paper in the picture to be sure they actually have the item
Agree with this. Works well on a golf BST I frequent. It's way too easy nowadays to copy paste someone else's photo and claim it as your own.