Best Puffy/Insulation?

JStol5

WKR
Looking for some insight from users of Kuiu and Sitka, perhaps others. Looking at a Sitka Aerolite jacket or a Kuiu Kenai or Super Down. Hunt in California and Arizona, looking for something to keep warm while glassing, sitting on cold mornings, late evenings, and in blinds. Will most likely drop this while on the move through brush. Hunt September-January. Really just want to hunt with a baselayer, heavy hoodie, and this jacket. Thanks all.

Az wildcat

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for some insight from users of Kuiu and Sitka, perhaps others. Looking at a Sitka Aerolite jacket or a Kuiu Kenai or Super Down. Hunt in California and Arizona, looking for something to keep warm while glassing, sitting on cold mornings, late evenings, and in blinds. Will most likely drop this while on the move through brush. Hunt September-January. Really just want to hunt with a baselayer, heavy hoodie, and this jacket. Thanks all.
No experience with kuiu or Sitka puffies or hunting in Ca but in my experience unless you’re hunting northern AZ my 600 fill Eddie Bauer puffy has always been enough. It was only $65 bucks and has held up well.

If you’re hunting below the rim I would personally say save the money and invest in other areas such as boots or optics. Northern AZ or in the mountains of CA, disregard.

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
No experience with kuiu or Sitka puffies or hunting in Ca but in my experience unless you’re hunting northern AZ my 600 fill Eddie Bauer puffy has always been enough. It was only $65 bucks and has held up well.

If you’re hunting below the rim I would personally say save the money and invest in other areas such as boots or optics. Northern AZ or in the mountains of CA, disregard.
Good looks- might be worth it to buy a less high end jacket since I don't need insane warmth, just something to take the edge off in 30s-50s.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Kind of sounds like a KUIU Super Down Ultra Parka will be what you're seeking...not the Super Down Pro (too much for what you describe). I have both, and man have I used the Super Down Ultra over the years. It is light weight, and compresses down very compactly. It truly does the job to ward off chills in the early mornings or at last light. I'm confident you'll be pleased. BTW, I'm 5'10", 180lbs and an XL is a perfect fit for me.

Clarktar

WKR
Check out the offerings from western mountaineering also.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Bump79

WKR
I'm going to second the recommendation to save some cash. I've bought and sold a few down hunting coats. None really perform any better than my Eddie Bauer. I've heard good things about the Decathlon jackets as well.

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
I'm going to second the recommendation to save some cash. I've bought and sold a few down hunting coats. None really perform any better than my Eddie Bauer. I've heard good things about the Decathlon jackets as well.
Might grab a used one as well.

*zap*

WKR
WM with a very light windproof top/bottom over it....surplus L5 top/bottom works for me. With that you get light, water resistant, protection from brush/abuse and warm. The only regret I have on my WM flight jacket is that it has no hood but the L5 top does...

jd1006

WKR
Grumman Vest if packed weight is a factor. Weights and packs down to very little, lots of warmth for little weight. Otherwise, I agree with those suggesting non-hunting brands. Lots of options for down. For non-down, it gets tricky. I prefer the nano air light from patagonia (discontinued).

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
Eddie Bauer jacket with a hoody from Costco was only $30. The weight it’s only 10z great jacket for the price. I purchased the ghost whisperer and ended up returning it both were about the same in warmth. The ghost whisperer is 8 oz, but over 300 dollars it’s not worth it.

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider

Eddie Bauer jacket for CA for than enough for sure.

MattB

WKR
When I was faced with this decision, I looked at all high-end manufacturers and not just the hunting-specific ones. Glad I did. I ended up with a RAB puffy which I found on sale for less than 1/2 the price of Kuiu's comparable offering (Super Down Pro). Only downsides are minor, not camo (medium gray) and it has the European zipper pull on the wrong side syndrome.

jd1006

WKR
Atom LT is terrific. Can be a little loud for a face fabric if that’s a concern

Clarktar

WKR
The Atom LT would have been too light of insulation for me glassing in the morning in Arizona during January. I like the jacket but I wouldn't consider it for long glassing sessions in Jan.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
For 30-50 degrees I’d recommend the Decathlon Forclaz Trek 100 which is like $70-80
Or the Mountain Hardwear ghost whisperer

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
Anyone have experience with a Sitka Aerolite or Kuiu Kenai jacket? Giving these heavy consideration as well. Looking to use a base layer, heavy hoody, and an insulation piece (and a rain jacket when it rains). Like I said, for 30s-50s glassing/blind in AZ and CA, but will likely use in the future in colder climates.

Ramblr

FNG
For down, take a look at the Montbell Superior Down Parka. Only $200 and very close in specs to the Kuiu Super Down Ultra.

The Kenai would be my pick for synthetic. I have the vest and used it for a spring turkey hunt in Humboldt County last year and it was great. It is actually warmer than the Atom LT jacket I had. I'm going to grab the jacket when they get some more solids in stock.