Best Puffy/Insulation?

68Plexi

WKR
Anyone have experience with a Sitka Aerolite or Kuiu Kenai jacket? Giving these heavy consideration as well. Looking to use a base layer, heavy hoody, and an insulation piece (and a rain jacket when it rains). Like I said, for 30s-50s glassing/blind in AZ and CA, but will likely use in the future in colder climates.

The Kenai is an excellent insulation layer. I use mine under a shell when it’s cold (snowy) when I know I’m going to be moving. Warm, but also dries quickly if I sweat.

Down for stationary, synthetic for moving. That recipe works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MT_Wyatt

WKR
OP - so you named a really light/fragile treated down, active insulation, and the aerolite kind of tends toward more static (to me). I'd say based off of your use case the Sitka piece might fit you the best (as you said you want to both sit and move with it). For 30-50 the superdown might work well, but that's not a great place to move in, nor for waterfowling.

Atom LT - kind of between static and active insulation. Great piece. Good cut. Will not be enough for 30F out static insulation (ie glassing). Proton LT may work better for you?

Sitka and kuiu both like to cut pieces kind of short for my taste. I've had a couple versions of the kenai - it isn't a bad jacket at all, but probably not going to cut it for a static 30F out jacket. Will be awesome for on the move.

First Lite uncompahgre may be a good fit here - a bit heavier but brings some warmth. Brooks down is a really tought/light piece, but not super warm.

Would also consider this (https://www.stoneglacier.com/collections/all-apparel/products/2022-cirque-jacket) as it seems to straddle active/static really well, balances wind performance/breathability better than the kenai has for me, seems to move moisture well, and is warmer than the sitka and kuiu pieces. BUT this is more purpose built for mountains....

I'd decide if weight, packability or flexability (ie works across larger temp gaps) rule, to help with synthetic or down. I personally use both, would trend towards sytnthetic if you're rougher on stuff/applications? Then I'd look at temps: 40F and above the lighter stuff works well, but below that, you'll want more than 80 g/m2 on insulation weight, or 2.5oz of down fill weight. If moving, a heavy fleece + kenai can get you into the 20s if you are in aggressive enough terrain. I run cold, so my feedback is also based on that.....

My FL uncompahre is awesome for exactly this situation. I also have the cirrius ultralight that is my AZ go to puffy. It's crazy light and with a good base layer it's perfect for those desert mornings.

I froze my arse off in the Kuiu superdown here. People think California is never cold...but in the early morning or after dusk, watch how quickly you start shivering. I prefer the old school synthetic Kelvins. With and without hoods, I use these frequently when glassing, hanging around camp or setting up a predawn or dusk sit. Slight weight penalty but no shivers means the world to me. Better to have something you can unzip and cool off than something that's not warm enough. JMO

Attachments

• IMG_0827.JPG
    IMG_0827.JPG
    459.5 KB · Views: 64
OP
J

JStol5

WKR
OP - so you named a really light/fragile treated down, active insulation, and the aerolite kind of tends toward more static (to me). I'd say based off of your use case the Sitka piece might fit you the best (as you said you want to both sit and move with it). For 30-50 the superdown might work well, but that's not a great place to move in, nor for waterfowling.

Atom LT - kind of between static and active insulation. Great piece. Good cut. Will not be enough for 30F out static insulation (ie glassing). Proton LT may work better for you?

Sitka and kuiu both like to cut pieces kind of short for my taste. I've had a couple versions of the kenai - it isn't a bad jacket at all, but probably not going to cut it for a static 30F out jacket. Will be awesome for on the move.

First Lite uncompahgre may be a good fit here - a bit heavier but brings some warmth. Brooks down is a really tought/light piece, but not super warm.

Would also consider this (https://www.stoneglacier.com/collections/all-apparel/products/2022-cirque-jacket) as it seems to straddle active/static really well, balances wind performance/breathability better than the kenai has for me, seems to move moisture well, and is warmer than the sitka and kuiu pieces. BUT this is more purpose built for mountains....

I'd decide if weight, packability or flexability (ie works across larger temp gaps) rule, to help with synthetic or down. I personally use both, would trend towards sytnthetic if you're rougher on stuff/applications? Then I'd look at temps: 40F and above the lighter stuff works well, but below that, you'll want more than 80 g/m2 on insulation weight, or 2.5oz of down fill weight. If moving, a heavy fleece + kenai can get you into the 20s if you are in aggressive enough terrain. I run cold, so my feedback is also based on that.....
I also run cold. I usually ditch my outer layer when moving so something more “static” is probably a better fit then “active” insulation. Any experience with the first lite? I don’t care about weight much to be honest. I’ll check out the SG too. Thanks for the thorough response.

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
I froze my arse off in the Kuiu superdown here. People think California is never cold...but in the early morning or after dusk, watch how quickly you start shivering. I prefer the old school synthetic Kelvins. With and without hoods, I use these frequently when glassing, hanging around camp or setting up a predawn or dusk sit. Slight weight penalty but no shivers means the world to me. Better to have something you can unzip and cool off than something that's not warm enough. JMO
I was scouting tonight in the San gabriels and it was colder than sh!t!! Windy as hell... I hunt late season up here and mornings are chilly. Which super down did you have?

68Plexi

WKR
I also run cold. I usually ditch my outer layer when moving so something more “static” is probably a better fit then “active” insulation. Any experience with the first lite? I don’t care about weight much to be honest. I’ll check out the SG too. Thanks for the thorough response.

I have the First Lite Uncompahgre and it is not a static layer. It’s nice, but it’s thin and I’ve expected too much from it before and froze.

I live in CA too, but I’m in the Tahoe mtns so my temps are lower than what yours are. I use the KUIU Super Down Pro and love it. Expensive, but packs down really well and is perfect for freezing cold glassing. But again, I’m dealing with 20-30 degree temps.

You’re probably looking for a 3-5oz down jacket. Rab, montbell, KUIU, even Eddie Bower make jackets with those specs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
J

JStol5

WKR
My FL uncompahre is awesome for exactly this situation. I also have the cirrius ultralight that is my AZ go to puffy. It's crazy light and with a good base layer it's perfect for those desert mornings.
Do you run a base layer, uncompahre, then cirrus?

MT_Wyatt

WKR

Yes - uncomp isn’t that warm like others have noted, and you’re not getting a cirrus (brooks replaces this) over it. Uncomp is warmer than brooks (for me).

SG grumman or Kuiu super down pro are probably where you’re at, get into that 5 oz down range. Their cirque jacket is comparable in warmth. Like other have said, Eddie Bauer etc are also options. Don’t buy jackets where they don’t tell you fill power or weight, typically it’s because it sucks.

If you like dead bird and hate $, their atom AR is a warmer option.

jd1006

WKR
I don’t think you can beat down. It’s just the applications you use it in that need to be thought out. You aren’t going to be busting brush with it as an outerlayer and you aren’t going to be relying fully on it for a backcountry trip in moist/damp/humid weather. But for everything else, it’s the warmest and the lightest.

I have 3 pieces that stand above the rest. The Grumman Vest - weighs nothing, perfect for layering. The Kelvin WS Hoody - awesome for a glassing jacket. REI Stormhenge Jacket - has an outer laminate, packs down well, and has pit zips (paid $125).

Huntin_GI

WKR
I'm going to second the recommendation to save some cash. I've bought and sold a few down hunting coats. None really perform any better than my Eddie Bauer. I've heard good things about the Decathlon jackets as well.
Lived in Italy for 4 years and we frequented the local Decathlon. Yes, everything there is cheap. Yes, you get what you pay for. Gear didn't hold up. Sizing different between styles.

If you are ok ordering a few things to try on and ok with light durability, it can do the job, but it would not rely on it. Arizona puffy jacket, sure. Late season Colorado high country backpack hunt. Nope.

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
At this point, leaning towards a Sitka Aerolite or a Stone Glacier Cirque. Not a vest guy, and primarily spot and stalk. CA and AZ can be cold, low 30s at the coldest where I hunt. I think a Super Down Pro/Grumman/Kelvin might be overkill for the climate I operate in, and I think a Kenai won't be warm enough... Like the idea of the Aerolite/Cirque as my outer layer over a base and hoodie, with a rain jacket in case SHTF. They're expensive, but I've become a "buy once cry once" person (due to archery/hunting) and want something for the long haul with a good warranty. Will consider non-hunting brands but I lean towards earth tones and don't want something that isn't durable...

SonnyDay

WKR
FWIW I have owned probably 20 down parkas/jackets over the years and am blown away by the warmth compared to weight of the KUIU Super Down Ultra. Weighs practically nothing... and is freakishly warm. Adding a shell on top for wind can make a huge difference. I am also a big believer in a silk base layer, then polypro/merino, then down + shell as needed.

Bump79

WKR
Lived in Italy for 4 years and we frequented the local Decathlon. Yes, everything there is cheap. Yes, you get what you pay for. Gear didn't hold up. Sizing different between styles.

If you are ok ordering a few things to try on and ok with light durability, it can do the job, but it would not rely on it. Arizona puffy jacket, sure. Late season Colorado high country backpack hunt. Nope.
I was responding to his purpose as stated: "Hunt in California and Arizona, looking for something to keep warm while glassing, sitting on cold mornings, late evenings, and in blinds".

I didn't see Colorado late season mentioned.

Huntin_GI

WKR
I was responding to his purpose as stated: "Hunt in California and Arizona, looking for something to keep warm while glassing, sitting on cold mornings, late evenings, and in blinds".

I didn't see Colorado late season mentioned.
That's cool. The title of the thread is "best puffy/insulation". Someone is going to search puffy. This thread will pop up. There you will be, bringing Decathalon up saying "I have heard good things." Then a few post later, someone with first hand knowledge on multiple Decathalon pieces will chime in and say "Yep, its cheap. Not durable but could work based on demand."

Then your panties get bunched up.
6cfh55.jpg

Sooooorrrryy if my sharing my experiences with a particular offended you so deeply.

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
That's cool. The title of the thread is "best puffy/insulation". Someone is going to search puffy. This thread will pop up. There you will be, bringing Decathalon up saying "I have heard good things." Then a few post later, someone with first hand knowledge on multiple Decathalon pieces will chime in and say "Yep, its cheap. Not durable but could work based on demand."

Then your panties get bunched up.
View attachment 400875

Sooooorrrryy if my sharing my experiences with a particular offended you so deeply.
Hahahaha this made me laugh. I appreciate the comment about Colorado- looking for something to own for years and branch out to other states, I think. Something more durable/higher quality will probably be a better bet.

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
Scored and found a Kelvin Lite Hoody for a good price. Think I'm gonna grab this. Thanks for the help all.

I was scouting tonight in the San gabriels and it was colder than sh!t!! Windy as hell... I hunt late season up here and mornings are chilly. Which super down did you have?

Kuiu superdown pro. Sold it after one use. I also prefer synthetic because it keeps me warm even if wet. One slip in a creek crossing educated me on that. I tested my Sitka Gear like these guys, jumped in my unheated pool in February and hiked 5.5 miles...remained warm and the clothes were nearly dry at that point. From my perspective, that can be lifesaving. The one threat that is always stalking me in the backcountry is gravity.

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
Anyone ever use a REI magma 850? Great prices on a good shade of green on these