WKR
Eddie Bauer Peak XV is on sale rn for 350

11 oz of 800fp down with a waterproof shell that’s a heck of a deal

OP
Carr5vols

Carr5vols

WKR
standard answer...it depends.

expected temps, activity level, used for hiking or simply sitting, is durability a concern, do you have a shell to go over it for weather or puncture resistance, etc.

FF Helios is the warmest that you've listed. Some say it rides high as it is cut for wearing with a climbing harness. Next warmest will be the SG Grumman, WM Fllight, then lastly the EOS. None are extra durable really, most have a weather resistant DWR treatment though. The SG has hydrophobic down (5.6 oz I believe, maybe its 5.3) and is in my cart.

If you want warmer, snag a montbell alpine (not the alpine light) for $300. The helios around 7.5 oz or so (i think) of 900 fill is a sweet puffy if you do not have a long torso.

I went SG because I already have a Arcteryx Atom AR synthetic I can bring along extra for those single digit and teens, the SG fits my needs for anything static freezing and above.

You can estimate warmth by looking at the oz of fill and you can gauge packability by looking at fill power (800, 900, etc the higher the better for packability). lastly you can judge durability by looking at the outter fabric weight, 15d, 20d, etc. lastly, 5oz of 900 fill will be much warmer than 5oz of 600 fill power...confusing enough!?

hope that helps.

If you are a made in America Type, 3 of those choices you listed are made in the US of A, SG to my knowledge is made in Asia (someone correct me if i'm wrong please)

some others you will see pop up in every thread are the FL puffys, the Sitka Kelvin Lite, Kifaru lost park, arcteryx cerium LT, yada yada yada...the list goes on. Just make your own list of what is important to you and go from there.

recommend giving this thread a good read as well...

standard answer...it depends.

expected temps, activity level, used for hiking or simply sitting, is durability a concern, do you have a shell to go over it for weather or puncture resistance, etc.

FF Helios is the warmest that you've listed. Some say it rides high as it is cut for wearing with a climbing harness. Next warmest will be the SG Grumman, WM Fllight, then lastly the EOS. None are extra durable really, most have a weather resistant DWR treatment though. The SG has hydrophobic down (5.6 oz I believe, maybe its 5.3) and is in my cart.

If you want warmer, snag a montbell alpine (not the alpine light) for $300. The helios around 7.5 oz or so (i think) of 900 fill is a sweet puffy if you do not have a long torso.

I went SG because I already have a Arcteryx Atom AR synthetic I can bring along extra for those single digit and teens, the SG fits my needs for anything static freezing and above.

You can estimate warmth by looking at the oz of fill and you can gauge packability by looking at fill power (800, 900, etc the higher the better for packability). lastly you can judge durability by looking at the outter fabric weight, 15d, 20d, etc. lastly, 5oz of 900 fill will be much warmer than 5oz of 600 fill power...confusing enough!?

hope that helps.

If you are a made in America Type, 3 of those choices you listed are made in the US of A, SG to my knowledge is made in Asia (someone correct me if i'm wrong please)

some others you will see pop up in every thread are the FL puffys, the Sitka Kelvin Lite, Kifaru lost park, arcteryx cerium LT, yada yada yada...the list goes on. Just make your own list of what is important to you and go from there.

recommend giving this thread a good read as well...

Thanks. I have read that thread and many more. Seems like no one jacket stands out. Plus many articles on the web in backpacking forums.

If will be used for glassing and at camp, I get hot while moving so usually only have base layer on. Temps be down to typical western hunt mid to late season.

Thanks for the input. I have 2 puffys now and don't like either and don't want to waste money on something that want keep me warm. I usually have merino base, grid fleece mid, puffy, then a rain/wind breaker.

NoWiser

WKR
The Montbell Alpine (not alpine light) has exceeded all of my expectations. It is without a doubt my favorite gear purchase of the year. My dad has the FF Helios and really likes it as well.

Clarence

WKR
FL chamberlain if looking for a later season glassing coat. It's not what I want if moving around, but exactly what I want when sitting and it's cold. Cost to warmth pretty tough to beat.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

TN2shot07

WKR
I’ve run the first lite uncompahgre jacket and vest the last couple years. It’s been great, also durable as I’m mostly in timber

N2TRKYS

WKR
My best puffy is made by Marmot. Very warm and pretty quite. I tried a Kifaru 1/4 zip puffy, but didn’t like the fit or how loud it was.

Superdoo

WKR
The $15 one from Costco and Amazon. If they get ruined I don’t care!
If it’s a true outer layer and brutally cold I got a Sitka WS down jacket that is stupid warm.

NoWiser

WKR
I own (and like) the FL Uncompahgre, but it’s not in the same league as the Montbell Alpine for warmth. Not even remotely close.

It weights 20oz more than the stone glacier...and sittka doesn't specify how many oz of down are in it. Those who've owned both say its a warmer, and for 20 oz more I would sure hope so.
The weight difference comes from the wind stopper though, right? To me, I would want a puffy that blocks wind.

NoWiser

WKR
How is the alpine for wind and precipitation?
Great in the wind. The only precipitation I’ve dealt with has been snow and it brushed off just fine. If temps were around freezing or higher, I wouldn’t be taking this jacket anyways, so I’m not too concerned about rain.

Superdoo

WKR
UA parka and EB both have solid offerings south of 100 bucks. You gotta be pretty hard-core to need a 400 dollar puffy.
Or you live in North Dakota and know that you’ll get about 6 months a year of use out it!
It is stupid expensive, unless you buy on sale. Then it’s just really expensive, but isn’t that the truth for all things Sitka???