Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Other please specify

Votes: 23 41.8%

• Total voters
OP
Carr5vols

Carr5vols

WKR
UA parka and EB both have solid offerings south of 100 bucks. You gotta be pretty hard-core to need a 400 dollar puffy.
I have the EB one and was not as warm as I want it to be. I try to buy good gear no matter the cost as it will last and perform longer.

Vandy321

WKR
Montbell alpine. Box baffle, 7.1oz of 800 fill, 20d shell for $300. My medium weighs in at 15.3oz in stuff sack.

It's night and day warmer than my SG Grumman, or Arcteryx Atom AR. The FL chamberlain would be a good comparison if a heavier/more expensive jacket is ok.

This only works with down, but to get a rough idea of what will he the warmer jacket (assuming similar fit, wrist cuffs, hoods, etc) multiply the fill weight in grams by the fill power...higher the number, the warmer it will be.

j33

WKR
Montbell alpine. Box baffle, 7.1oz of 800 fill, 20d shell for $300. My medium weighs in at 15.3oz in stuff sack.

It's night and day warmer than my SG Grumman, or Arcteryx Atom AR. The FL chamberlain would be a good comparison if a heavier/more expensive jacket is ok.

This only works with down, but to get a rough idea of what will he the warmer jacket (assuming similar fit, wrist cuffs, hoods, etc) multiply the fill weight in grams by the fill power...higher the number, the warmer it will be.

Doesn’t look like that jacket has water resistant coating on the down hey? Just a shell DWR.

WRO

WKR
I love my arctery'x cerium lt. Good DWR coating and very warm.

I definitely prefer it over my FL uncomphagre.

j33

WKR
That's why God invented goretex shells. Puffys aren't meant to he rain jackets.

To me the main benefit of coated down is to protect from wetting out from the inside... Put it over wet clothes and use the heat to dry your clothes, might not go so good with uncoated down.

Vandy321

WKR
You wouldnt need to use your puffy to dry out wet clothes wet if you had a goretex/waterproof shell

If you're talking damp base layers from hiking, throwing a non-coated down on top is not going to wet out the down.

I have the SG with 5.3oz of hydrophobic down...and if the temps were such I thought I'd freeze to death if I was wet, id certainly have more jacket than the SG

Last edited:

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
I don't own one but my next purchase will be the SG puffy. It sounds like they figured out how to make a puffy very water resistant but still packable. I like my Kifaru a lot and it's super durable but not very packable IMO

j33

WKR
You wouldnt need to use your puffy to dry out wet clothes wet if you had a goretex/waterproof shell

If you're talking damp base layers from hiking, throwing a non-coated down on top is not going to wet out the down.

I have the SG with 5.3oz of hydrophobic down...and if the temps were such I thought I'd freeze to death if I was wet, id certainly have more jacket than the SG
I'm talking wet clothes as in slipping into a creek then using your puffy to help warm up. I've got a few non coated cheap down products and my next will be coated just like what you have with the SG.

bryan79

FNG
Another vote for the Sitka kelvin down ws. A little extra weight but worth it to me

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
I researched this topic for months and talk to a lot of people in the outdoor industry, as well as some guys on here that had used a handful of brands. For the best warmth to weight ratio, durability, packability, etc I went with the FF helios. I used this winter on late season single digit hunts and it is insanely warm. I like hunting brands but they cant compete with FF just my opinion, I wouldnt buy sleeping bags, boots, tents from a hunting brand that hasnt been in the game for decades.

Been looking a lot at the stone glacier and the feathered friends. But never tried them on. I’ve tried on the sitka kelvin ws and it is insanely warm. Pretty heavy too. I still like the kelvin because it’s synthetic insulation, which has its advantages in the snow and sleet for late season. Someone help me make my decision for a 3rd season backcountry mule deer hunt.

EmperorMA

WKR
Hunting brands cannot compete with Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends. We don't use our shit at 20,000' nor do we have to worry about the weight in order to carry it on our backs to that ridiculous altitude. Marmot and a few others are quite good, as well.

That doesn't mean that hunting clothing isn't good. Just don't allow yourself to think it is in the same league as elite mountaineering products just because their website and marketingspeak says it is.

Hunting brands cannot compete with Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends. We don't use our shit at 20,000' nor do we have to worry about the weight in order to carry it on our backs to that ridiculous altitude. Marmot and a few others are quite good, as well.

That doesn't mean that hunting clothing isn't good. Just don't allow yourself to think it is in the same league as elite mountaineering products just because their website and marketingspeak says it is.
I just can’t get over how short the feathered friends looks to be. I’ve never seen one in person but looking at it on their website it looks very short.

I have a pair of puffy pants from them, but I can’t compare them to Feathered Friends or Western Mountaineering, because I don’t have any of their gear. I’ve had these pants for about three or four years now, and they have held up well, but they are made to be ultra lightweight (thin material, no extra material on the knees or butt, and no zippers), and I only use them to hang out in camp and sleep in, so I don’t abuse them at all. They weigh a hair over 7 oz., but they have a lot of loft and they’re very warm. The main thing that I like about GF gear is that they have tons of options, making them super customizable. I have several other pairs of puffy pants (Kuiu, Mt Hardwear, etc.), but I rarely wear them anymore because I like the GF gear so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk