Best quality rain gear in solid colours?

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not trying to play devil’s advocate here, but could you give some insight on how the Kuiu “blows the others away”? Arcteryx Beta AR is the gold standard of rain gear in much larger communities than hunting. It uses a 3 layer Gortex Pro, which is the best Gortex they offer in terms of waterproof and breathability. I’m just curious of your thoughts on how’s it’s so much better.
Kuiu chugach has nice packability, great stretch fabric, is more quiet and fits better than my Arcteryx. My Arcteryx is too short in the torso seems like built better for a climbing harness. The waterproofing is quality on both. I had some areas on my Arcteryx Beta where the inner lining scratched off the goretex laminate. It didn’t compromise the waterproofing, but surprised it happened. Otherwise the shell is tough. The chugach in my opinion just feels better during use backpacking, hiking, climbing under and over stuff. The kuiu stretch fabric with similar durability and waterproofing, to me, makes it a much better jacket than the others.

Snicolio

WKR
The Sitka vapor jacket is another great option. Absolutely waterproof and has shake dry technology which is awesome. In literally a couple shakes of the jacket it’s completely dry. It’s great for backpacking so you don’t have to put a rain jacket in your pack wet and the best thing is it weights like 7 ounces.

BorisZ

FNG
Maybe not the best, but very good - FJRaven KEB Eco-Shell Jacket, but there are no hand pockets, there are on the chest...

tdot

WKR
I’m not trying to play devil’s advocate here, but could you give some insight on how the Kuiu “blows the others away”? Arcteryx Beta AR is the gold standard of rain gear in much larger communities than hunting. It uses a 3 layer Gortex Pro, which is the best Gortex they offer in terms of waterproof and breathability. I’m just curious of your thoughts on how’s it’s so much better.

I also much prefer my Kuiu Yukon and Chugach over any of my Arcteryx pieces. I currently have an Alpha AR, Beta AR and Beta SL plus several pairs of their hardshell pants (all less then 3 years old). I have a full set of the Yukon gear from 6+ years ago and a newer Chugach jacket.

The only reason I still own Arcteryx is that these pieces are all warranty replacement items (original purchases were up to 20 years ago). I also prefer brighter colours for skiing and non-hunting related activities.

But I prefer the Kuiu for waterproofness, breathability, fit, function, comfort and noise. The stretch in the Chugach is a revelation in how comfortable a harshell can be. The durability of the Yukon was substantially better then the Arcteryx pieces. I broke down a pair for LEAF Alpha pants in 1.5 seasons doing the same things I've been doing with my Yukon for 5 years.

The only hesitation I have about the current Yukon is the newer fabric seems different from my version. So I don't know how relevant my comments are to the new gear.

The Sitka vapor jacket is another great option. Absolutely waterproof and has shake dry technology which is awesome. In literally a couple shakes of the jacket it’s completely dry. It’s great for backpacking so you don’t have to put a rain jacket in your pack wet and the best thing is it weights like 7

this a good choice for a young man in college originally from the reelfoot lake TN area/ at school and resides down st.Joseph Louisiana. prob 85%. He loves his Sitka and he’s mentioned something for the rain. I’m unclear on which Sitka is best but want to purchase ASAP ty appreciate any feedback

Elkivory2

FNG
Love my First Lite SEAK! It has been bomb proof so far. The only drawback is that it does take up some space in my pack. It keeps me dry even in down-pours and that is what I bought it for.

Warren

Lil-Rokslider
I’m posting an ARCTERYX beta SV size medium in pilot (gray) in the classifieds today. I’m upgrading to the Arcteryx LEAF Alpha, ditching a soft shell in 2021.

I’ve used the Yukon and the Chugach. Both were GREAT jackets. That Yukon is surprisingly quiet for rain gear. I put that jacket through a four-wheel drive event where it went from VIAS to solid brown mud after a 3 day trip in steady rain in SC mud. While at the car wash I pressure washed the jacket and was SHOCKED it didn't stain. For the money the Yukon is hard to beat for mid/late season. If KUIU had the warranty of Arcteryx I’d stick with the Yukon/Chugach for late/early season setups. My buddy just bought the Katana and he's loving it as well.

Last edited:

Arwhite90

FNG
To anyone with experience with multiple of the r main hunting brands, is Kuiu the only one that incorporates stretch into their rain gear? Mainly as it pertains to Sitka, kuiu, first lite and stone glacier?

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
To anyone with experience with multiple of the r main hunting brands, is Kuiu the only one that incorporates stretch into their rain gear? Mainly as it pertains to Sitka, kuiu, first lite and stone glacier?
I believe the SG M5 also has a stretch built in to the fabric but I haven’t had it in hand to compare with the Kuiu.