Best Quilt and Why ?

Gapmaster

WKR
CedarRidge Outdoors. Small company, excellent CS. You will have to wait a few months more than likely but very well made products.

TxAg

Lil-Rokslider
I also have a Cedar Ridge quilt. They built it to my exact specs adding many additional features not even depicted on their website. Communication was always great every time I reached out with a question. Product quality is top notch.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
I went with El Coyote after considerable research and couldn't be happier. High quality of craftsmanship, attention to detail, well thought out feature set, very quick order to receive date, and probably the best customer service I've experienced makes El Coyote my preferred quilt(s).
On top of just looking at fill volume look at width as El Coyote's regular width more often than not was wider than other competitor's regular width.

Nillion

Lil-Rokslider
UGQ gets my vote. I'm 6'4" 220ish and very wide shoulders, so normal mummy bags are too snug for comfort for me. I have a XLong/Xwide 20 degree quilt and I've never slept better outdoors. On my back, side, whatever, I was always comfortable. What sold me on them was their dynamic tension control system. One downside to a quilt is you can have drafts when moving, but with this, it keeps the quilt snugly tucked under you and away from the ground and walls of your shelter. I have pad straps also but I've never had to use them the system works so well. I had good communication with them also during the ordering and building process.

Attachments

• ugq.jpg
    ugq.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

BBob

WKR
I went with El Coyote. Customer service was great and faster than expected delivery. Quality looks great. I liked the Katabatic which has a couple of extra features but for this use and lower cost I went EC. A plus was EC is in AZ and a newer small vendor so I wanted to support local too.

I went with El Coyote. Customer service was great and faster than expected delivery. Quality looks great. I liked the Katabatic which has a couple of extra features but for this use and lower cost I went EC. A plus was EC is in AZ and a newer small vendor so I wanted to support local too.

da74a288586dac0aaab1f1f9bcbe12cd.jpg

ad6296f49439064405dcf9372c60eb99.jpg

Brian was awesome working with and addressed every need with new custom quilt!!! Customer for Life!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

da74a288586dac0aaab1f1f9bcbe12cd.jpg

ad6296f49439064405dcf9372c60eb99.jpg

Brian was awesome working with and addressed every need with new custom quilt!!! Customer for Life!!!

I have EE, Hg and a LL. LL is my favorite go to quilt for backpacking. The EE my fav for
ground camping. I believe the extra wide EE is wider than the other extra wides and I
too like a wider quilt while on the ground. All are great quilts and I would be great
with any of them.

However, the EE does come in a wider format last I time I checked and
that is a must for my ground camping. Some have complained of down migrating
and creating cold spots. They have addressed that in 2019 with adding additional
fill in their 2019 quilts.

ChrisAU

WKR
Bought a HG Premium Burrow in 2019 on sale and couldn't be happier with it. I have had a EE quilt previously and do prefer the pad attachment straps on them though.

Time2fish

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t have a lot of nights in my EE revelation 20 but very impressed so far. I like the zipper foot box and the 20* rating seems more of a comfy level instead of a survival level. The bag is very warm and light. I’m not as hard on my gear as I used to be so I believe the light maintenance involved in a lightweight down quilt won’t be an issue. I also soaked it the very first night I used it when the condensation was really high on a major temperature shift. It stayed in form and dried quickly the next day.

2rsquared

Lil-Rokslider
I have a XLong/Xwide 20 degree UGQ quilt and it works for me. Did quite a bit of research 3 years ago and chose to go UGQ. Things may have changed since then.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
McCrackin

McCrackin

FNG
Aaaaaaaand, finally getting back to the thread...
After reading/listening to the "collective mind" quite a bit, I went with the El Coyote, I went with the Tall/Wide and I like it.
Delivery was very quick, product is beautiful, very happy customer...
: )

Yes, I'm aware that this is completely subjective. But, as someone who is brand new to quilts, I am aware that "I don't know what I don't know".
That said, can the Collective Mind at least call out a few prime candidates from which I can start my researching?
Kifaru is as heavy as a bag...
Enlightened Equipment is well spoken of, but I don't know if I could get one in time at this point (I'm 6'3", so I would need a Custom I'm guessing).
Outdoor Vitals, anyone heard of them and their new StormLoft quilt?

Thank you in advance...

If time is of the essence, look no further than El Coyote, very fast lead times and excellent custom quality. If later on down the road you have time to wait a couple months, than I would suggest taking a hard look at Gryphon Gear.

Aaaaaaaand, finally getting back to the thread...
After reading/listening to the "collective mind" quite a bit, I went with the El Coyote, I went with the Tall/Wide and I like it.
Delivery was very quick, product is beautiful, very happy customer...
: )

I couldn’t be happier with my XX-Wide/Long Custom El Coyote, too!

Quick question.

Any need for a quilt for specifically for sleeping on the ground and another for using in a hammock? Or will one work just fine for both?

BrianN

FNG
Quick question.

Any need for a quilt for specifically for sleeping on the ground and another for using in a hammock? Or will one work just fine for both?
No. Those who exclusively sleep in hammocks can get away with less width because drafts are no longer an issue as an underquilt should also be used and there will be overlap. If you plan to do both ground and hammock, get one wide enough for keeping out drafts on the ground and you can use for both.

No. Those who exclusively sleep in hammocks can get away with less width because drafts are no longer an issue as an underquilt should also be used and there will be overlap. If you plan to do both ground and hammock, get one wide enough for keeping out drafts on the ground and you can use for both.
Gracias.