Best Quilt and Why ?

McCrackin

FNG
Yes, I'm aware that this is completely subjective. But, as someone who is brand new to quilts, I am aware that "I don't know what I don't know".
That said, can the Collective Mind at least call out a few prime candidates from which I can start my researching?
Kifaru is as heavy as a bag...
Enlightened Equipment is well spoken of, but I don't know if I could get one in time at this point (I'm 6'3", so I would need a Custom I'm guessing).
Outdoor Vitals, anyone heard of them and their new StormLoft quilt?

Thank you in advance...

Northpark

WKR
I ordered a custom El Coyote last spring. 26 oz for a 10 degree quilt. Had it at my door less than a week after ordering. Was able to talk directly to the owner to really see what quilt I wanted. Made in the USA, in fact made just an hour down the road from me in Gilbert AZ.

I’ve used it a few times and really enjoy the freedom of movement and loft. Paired with a klymit static v in warm weather and I used it this spring when there was still snow on the ground with an exped downmat.

xcutter

WKR
Disclaimer: This is the only quilt I have experience with.

I started using a quilt last year. Really like using a quilt as I'm an active sleeper and prefer to sleep on my belly or side. I searched for USA made quilts. I settled on the Cedar Ridge Outdoors Le Conte' 10 Degree quilt in Long/Wide. I'm 6'1" and it fits me perfect. Can't believe how warm it is for it's size/weight. Give them a look.

Keep in mind you need a really good insulated pad to use a quilt or you will freeze.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
the nicest quilt I owned was from Katabatic Gear, it was also the most expensive, the fit and finish were immaculate

having said that, I would be looking more closely at the amount (and quality) of down fill for the temperature rating (and size) you're looking for and compare them between multiple outfits

it's easy to say 30 degree quilt and then only have enough down for a 40 degree quilt

also if you're looking beyond down (Apex specifically) Enlightend Equipment, Mountain Laurel Designs and Nunatak all offer Apex insulation

mlgc20

WKR
I have experience with a few different brands of quilts. By far my favorite is Katabatic Gear. I've taken my 30 degree Palisade down into the teens without a problem. As mtwarden mentioned, the fit and finish is great. But to me, what sets Katabatic apart is their system for attaching the quilt to the sleeping pad. IMO, this is the most important part of the quilt. Especially for colder weather use.

OP
McCrackin

McCrackin

FNG
Love it, thank you for great answers so quickly. I will take a look at the above mentioned...

This is the only quilt I use now...I own several. The EE Conundrum Custom (L/W 950 fill w/ collar) is the most versatile quilt I have, I have used it in temps from 50* down to 8* and am confident I would be good at -10. Combined with a heavy Hoodlum, this is my GO TO quilt for tent or hammock.

eeconundrum.jpg

Attachments

• eehoodlum.jpg
    eehoodlum.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

twall13

WKR
Lots of good quilt manufacturers out there nowadays. My favorite is a custom quilt from Loco Libre. Although I don't own a quilt from them, some other top end quilt makers on my list would be Katabatic, Nunatak, and Coyote. I own some other stuff from Nunatak and the wait times for them or Loco Libre are worth it to me.

If you are on a budget, Hammock gear has some pretty good quilts in the econ line.

As was mentioned above, compare dimensions, fill weights, total weights, etc. across brands for a more complete picture. Temperature ratings are subjective and somewhat personal, fill weights don't lie.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Akicita

WKR
Yes, I'm aware that this is completely subjective. But, as someone who is brand new to quilts, I am aware that "I don't know what I don't know".
That said, can the Collective Mind at least call out a few prime candidates from which I can start my researching?
Kifaru is as heavy as a bag...
Enlightened Equipment is well spoken of, but I don't know if I could get one in time at this point (I'm 6'3", so I would need a Custom I'm guessing).
Outdoor Vitals, anyone heard of them and their new StormLoft quilt?

Thank you in advance...
EE Long/Wide should fit and isn't considered custom. That should ship in 3 or so days. I use the Revelation frequently and can give it an endorsement. Check their "overstock" tab on their site - I bet you could find something there that would ship right out.

buffsmoker

Lil-Rokslider
I've had Enlightened Equipment, Hammock Gear (Econ line), Katabatic, and El Coyote. IMO the "best" is my Katabatic. I really like their footbox closure system and their pad attachment. The El Coyote is also very high quality, but not quite on par with Katabatic as far as features. I currently have a 15 degree Katabatic and a 40 degree El Coyote. That covers me from warm weather summer trips to November elk hunts.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Dtb

FNG
I got a hammock gear Econ quilt for general backpacking and have been very pleased with it for the price. I haven’t used any of the higher end quilts but I don’t have any complaints about the hammock gear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seth

WKR
My research took me to El Coyote for my first quilt. The 40 is perfect for my needs as I use a WM Badger when it’s real cold. Great craftsmanship!

JNDEER

WKR
I went down a quilt rabbit hole.

I have zero nights in my selection and there is very little feedback on use and long term use of this product. But, in your search you could also look into the Zenbivy. My specific selection was because of how it attaches to the bag (if you choose), the different ways to configure it and it’s overall size.

i have attached mine to the bag, tested the different configurations and like the “blanket over me” feel. Quality seems fine, loft feels good and was very happy with the amount of room I had to toss and turn. (6’, 215#). No idea how it will do in the wild.

Ondavirg

Lil-Rokslider
I also have the zenbivy (light 25 degree). I used it recently and had temps varying 40 degrees from the first night to the last. I really like the versatility of the quilt here on this trip. The connections of the quilt to the sheet are what convinced me to go with this one over others. It stays in position while I roll around all night. As a side sleeper who tosses around a lot, this is great for me. I wish I could put one on my bed at home.

sierraj

FNG
I use a Western Mountaineering Sycamore as a quilt. Semi-rectangular that unzips flat. Few more ounces than a quilt with a comparable amount of down, but have the option of completely zipping up when the temps are below freezing. Nice and wide for bigger people.