Best rain gear for tree stand and turkey hunting?

Looking to purchase a quality rain gear set and really can't decide what go with. It will primarily be used for tree stand archery deer hunting and turkey hunting. So it doesn't have to be very warm, just quiet as possible and keep me dry. I was considering First Lite Stormtight but i've read a few instances on this forum where folks have had seam and durability issues. I've briefly looked at Sitka's Dewpoint, would that be the Stormtight equivalent? I'm open to any brand and recommendations, I just want quality gear that'll get the job done.

fatlander

WKR
I really like the new kuiu north ridge, very light and packable, but still sheds water to keep you bone dry in nasty down pours. I’m impressed with my set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Third vote for KUIU rain gear. I have the Ultra NX, which has been discontinued and replaced with the North Ridge. It’s very light and has incredible breathability, I’ve gone for a run in it several times without sweating.

A lot of people are concerned about quiet rain gear, but for treestand hunting as opposed to pushing through wet brush, I don’t think it’s a huge deal. If it’s lightly misting a soft shell type jacket will usually suffice for an hour to so, if it’s really raining that’s much louder than the rain gear.

I am curious if anyone has tried putting something like a Cabela’s MicroTex shirt over top of their rain jacket to keep things quiet. It seems like it might work without absorbing a bunch of water and getting heavy.

LaHunter

WKR
Based on your stated uses, the Cabela’s MTO50 goretex raingear would be a good option. It is quiet and mine has performed well for 10+ years. For western hunting where wt is critical, I carry the Kuiu Chugach rain gear.

I have the Kuiu rain gear and it's awesome. Something that is quiet and high quality to check out would be the Sitka Thunderhead. Goretex and a brushed face that is very quiet.

renagde

WKR
I purchased the Sitka Dewpoint set last summer and the first chance to use it was opening day of whitetail rifle season. Snow turned to sleet/rain and it kept me dry. Doing drives and busting through mountain laurel and it held up just fine. I wouldn't be worried about durability. Super light and breathable as well.

I use Sitka thunderhead gear for exactly what you are referring to. Like it a lot and very quiet rain gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D
Awesome input!

I've been comparing the specs and pricing on all mentioned. The Kuiu Chugach is right in the middle when it comes to weight and has all the features I like (packs small, chest pocket, full leg zips, etc.). My only concern is the camo pattern for turkey hunting. The Verde has just a bit too much tan for my liking.

The Sitka Dewpoint seems to be better for me than the Thunderhead,. The Thunderhead weighs twice as much. Afraid it'd be too warm for turkey season.

Cabela's MT050 gear has been revamped and they really have no 'middle of the line' items when it comes to weight. Their newer quiet pack rain gear is too heavy for my application (26oz pants).

Ah, decisions, decisions!

The Chugach is probably the most versatile, especially if you only want to buy one set of rain gear. I chose the Ultra for high country backpack hunts where it’s typcially for short showers every few days. I plan to buy the Yukon as well at some point for hunts where you expect extended wet weather.

If you’re going by the photo of Chugach in the Verde pattern on their site, keep in mind the fabric varies. If you look at the Yukon photo in the same pattern, it’s about 75% green.

for stand hunting and turkey hunting don't overlook a poncho. i don't understand why it's not a more popular option. if it's raining hard enough for me to need rain gear while treestand hunting deer i'm probably not going to take a shot but i love to wait out a hard rain with my pack and bow covered and be ready when the weather clears. for turkey hunting i've set up in absolute downpours and kept my shotgun and vest dry waiting on birds to fly down.

Matt G.

WKR
I am intrigued as well. I usually end up brush busting for on ground turkey hunting... So which one is most durable against thorns etc...

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
For quiet camo I’d look at Sitka thunderhead. For general rain gear in camo I wear Kryptek Koldo after trying it all. It is the best I’ve tried but is not as quiet as the Sitka.

Arc’teryx and Patagonia goretex rain gear sets are better than any of the hunting rain gear. Neither is cheap nor overly quiet. But it works. Outdoor Research makes good goretex rain gear in camo too. You should check it out.

*zap*

WKR
I would not purchase any rain jacket that did not have pit zips. Lots of good options out there but many are pretty expensive.