Best reasonably priced GPS unit?

ChunkyD

FNG
I am looking to buy a GPS unit, and want to hear everyones input on their favorite REASONABLY priced GPS unit!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gaiagps it’s an app that turns your smartphone (iPhone or android) into a fully functioning gps- 1:24k topo maps (customized to the size you need- seamless), tracking function, waypoints, importing routes, etc

All done without the need for a cell signal, all satellite.

I’ve been using mine for six years now (including tough off trail navigation on the Bob Marshall Open)

6 oz gives me a fully working gps, good camera and occasionally a cell phone :)

Longshot

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll sell you a Garmin Oregon with some map cards for a great price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
What do you want it to do?
OnX?
Just mark spots?
Set trails?
Maps?

I've got a couple and they all work - Lately using a Garmin 64 - use em for finding my way back to the truck and then back to hunting fishing spots. Trails are handy on the units, no idea about maps. OnX works great on it.

If you keep your expectations reasonable you can get one for less than $100. If you want to be all fancy, think around $500.

Got mine for about $160-$175. Satisfied with reception and repeat-ability with hunting and fishing spots. It does what it needs to with OnXMaps.

Comments about OnX - hunt partner had his set up on a cell phone. He was dropping spots from a distance for where he wanted to be in AM. Thought that was neat - couldn't do that on the GPS that I'm aware of.

Someone also sells a 3 or 5 spot GPS gadget that is about the size of a silver dollar and has a save button - that'll get you back to the truck at the end of the day. Forget what they are called but I want to get one for hunting and fishing where I don't want to mess with the full size GPS... Like tracking deer in an area I hunt all the time - nice to go back to the road where you went in.

KHNC

WKR
iphone with OnX has allowed me to ditch the GPS unit. I always carry a compass with me too.

Like many others I no longer use a separate GPS. I use the Gaia app on my phone. It does everything that my separate GPS used to do.

Another vote for Garmin 64. Even though I have the Gaia app, I still always have my Garmin handy. I much prefer using topos on it.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have an iPhone 6 and using the gps occasionally (but taking a lot of pics) lasts in the 3 day range. It needs to be in airplane mode, otherwise the phone is constantly looking for a cell signal eating the battery quickly (you don't need a cell signal for the gps- all satellite). Also if you use the tracking feature the entire day, the battery goes much quicker. I'll occasionally use the tracking feature if I get off track, but as soon as I'm back on- I shut the tracking off.

On 3+ day trips I carry an Anker 10,000 charger- which gives me several full charges (can also charge my inReach).

My go to is the Garnin 64s, with a map chip like onX or something along those lines. Easily the best bang for the buck with their GLONASS setup.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Someone also sells a 3 or 5 spot GPS gadget that is about the size of a silver dollar and has a save button - that'll get you back to the truck at the end of the day. Forget what they are called but I want to get one for hunting and fishing where I don't want to mess with the full size GPS... Like tracking deer in an area I hunt all the time - nice to go back to the road where you went in.
Garmin Get Back
I have one that I carry in my pocket. Saved me hours searching for my pack. Sometimes every rock or tree looks the same.
Sold my 62s and bought a Inreach Explorer+ and use iPhone 6 for OnX.

DuckDogDr

WKR
I like my garmin 64s with the onx chip. Has been great, reliable and lasts for 2-3 days at a time with all day use...

I love my cell phone but no way I would depend on it in a back country situation. It will work but hates to to work without internet signal..and the battery lasts about 1/2 a day at best with constant use