Best Rechargeable Headlamp

Tired of buying batteries....looking to invest in a really good headlamp. Must be rechargeable, red lamp, white lamp and not to big and bulky....anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks!

Mosby

WKR
Tired of buying batteries....looking to invest in a really good headlamp. Must be rechargeable, red lamp, white lamp and not to big and bulky....anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks!
I recently bought the Nitecore NU32. 550 lumens. Rechargeable. Long run times. Red and white lights. Weighs 3.51 oz. The Nitecore NU 25 is smaller and also has red and white lights. Really popular with people thru hiking on AT and PCT. I went with the NU32 because it has longer run times than the NU25 albeit a bit larger.

Attachments

• 1615394564872.png
    1615394564872.png
    115.6 KB · Views: 78

John pettimore

Lil-Rokslider
How is the that Nitecore operated? Looks like one switch operates the white lights but do you have to cycle through the modes to get the one you want? When you turn it back on does it default to the last setting or do you have to cycle again?

kickemall

WKR
Black Diamond Revolt is the best I’ve found. The low power works really good for walking trails. Just the right amount of light broadcast so it doesn’t blind you.

I have used the Black Diamond Revolt for about a year. It has been great. My old Black Diamond Storm was my backup, but it has been retired to chores around the house. I got another Revolt on sale (Campsaver) and will carry it as a backup this year. No more worrying about bringing/forgetting extra batteries.

I’ve had a number of headlamps from Petzl, BD and Princeton.
Really liked the BD Revolt but it died due to moisture (lots of hiking in the rain). Previous BD Spot died the same way. I haven’t tried the Storm yet and might have to get it.
Used the Petzl Actik Core with the rechargeable battery pack for a couple years now. It is reliable in wet conditions and seems to have good battery life and light but the functionality is annoying and not as user friendly as BD.

Last edited:

Richieber

FNG
I have the Fenix HM50R, like someone else mentioned, super bright. Run time is good, it's light weight and spare battery takes seconds to change if I forget to recharge it. Doesn't have red light though

Mosby

WKR
How is the that Nitecore operated? Looks like one switch operates the white lights but do you have to cycle through the modes to get the one you want? When you turn it back on does it default to the last setting or do you have to cycle again?
Left button for the red lights. Right for the white. You cycle through the primary and larger white light. Each click gives you more lumens. Hold for the aux lights which are the small side lights. Doesn't have memory. Starts out at lowest setting and goes up. Pretty simple to operate. Also has a lock out feature so it doesn't turn on in your pack.

Last edited:

drmatara

FNG
I've been using the Black Diamond Revolt for about a while now and It has been great, the low power works really good for walking trails. But if you looking for something with really bright light you should go for Fenix, doesn’t have other colors but fenix makes a great rechargeable and it's the brightest around.

Broadening the discussion a little, I did a headlamp upgrade a few years ago. I didn’t like the idea of proprietary or built in batteries so I bought a zebra light and two 18650 batteries with usb charging ports. I can swap the batteries and charge them in the field with a power pack or solar and when the batteries lose efficiency I can buy more and keep the light. they are great except no red light and a little pricey. Whole package cost $100.

flash forward a few short years and fenix, nitecore and olight among others have come into the market. They are pushing the former leads like Petzel, black diamond, surefire and streamlight in terms of output, their designs are innovative, their product quality is pretty good and they are far cheaper.

iordered one of those nitecore nu32s figuring if the battery last 3 years, I can toss it and buy two more and I will still be cheaper than the zebra. Plus I have red lights and the wide spread lights too.

Rechargeable batteries allow you to use any headlamp you choose. Personally I use an 18650 Zebralight, and my spare battery is another 18650 Zebralight. 6 oz total and enough light for weeks in camp, plus a backup light.

Not to further high jack but to illustrate the point about better cheaper lights I kept a little keychain light on my keys for years. $8 barely enough light to reach your feet. Just replaced it with a nitecore. It’s $20. Big as a tootsie roll and can put out 300 lumens. That is a serious upgrade.

NDGuy

WKR
I have a drawer full of headlamps. Finally bought a Fenix HL 60R. I've used this almost daily for work and hunting for the past 3 years. Best investment I ever made.
The Fenix is a beast. Love mine!

NDGuy

WKR
Also an FYI for anyone buying rechargeable headlamps with 18650 batteries. Be EXTREMELY careful where you buy them from, there was just a news bit about how companies are making cheap unstable 18650 and selling them on walmart, ebay, amazon etc etc.

Use the batteries your manufacturer makes or look into reputable companies.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a drawer full of headlamps. Finally bought a Fenix HL 60R. I've used this almost daily for work and hunting for the past 3 years. Best investment I ever made.
Do you find the red lighting bright enough to walk with at night (not super technical terrain)?

OP
Huntingfarandwide
One of the things I did not mention.....the headlamp should be bright enough to be able to field dress an animal. I have looked at the Fenix and they are highly recommended....but no red lamp.

Mosby

WKR
One of the things I did not mention.....the headlamp should be bright enough to be able to field dress an animal. I have looked at the Fenix and they are highly recommended....but no red lamp.

The NU 32 will throw 190 lumens for 17 hours. Bright enough when I am in timber and should be good for a multi day hunt. The max is 550 lumens which should run up to an hour but I don't expect to have much need for it.

A lot of lights are set up for max lumens and tactical work with few, if any lower settings, When I was looking at lights, I focused more on the lower end settings than the max output. They are more functional IMO. It has a 1 lumen white, two 9 lumen red, two 19 lumen and a 33 lumen setting coupled with long run times. That should be great for hiking, cooking and doing stuff around camp and in my tent IMO and why I bought it.

Last edited: