Best reloading book for beginners

Usmcff

WKR
I tried searching through the forums for an answer but couldn’t find one. I’m wanting to get into reloading and enjoy reading. What would be the best book to buy just to get an idea of reloading so I can learn the basics, terms, key things to pay attention too, etc. I haven’t bought anything yet to get started but plan to in the next 6 months to a year since things are somewhat returning to normal. I plan on loading for 30-06, 300 WM, 7mm-08, and mostly other rifles. Also would like to work for accuracy but will not really be chasing .25 moa or extreme accuracy, just general hunting use and something to do in my spare time. Thanks in advance!

I bought Lyman's most recent version of the Reloading Handbook. Tons of information and tons of loads for all kinds of calibers. I would suggest starting here.

I would also suggest buying multiple manuals once you get into it. I have found I am buying whatever components I can find. In doing this, multiple manuals is helpful in choosing a load out.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
I think any of the manuals will suffice to give you a basic rundown on the steps to reloading safe ammunition. Understanding how those guys are getting to .25" will only benefit you in developing accurate loads. Using the search bar here will get you piles of info, and YouTube is also a great source. Panhandle Precision, Scott Satterlee, Eric Cortina, and Bolt Action Reloading are all good.

There are about 847 ways to skin this cat so you have to decide what makes sense to you.. Feel free to PM with questions.

OP
Usmcff

Usmcff

WKR
I think any of the manuals will suffice to give you a basic rundown on the steps to reloading safe ammunition. Understanding how those guys are getting to .25" will only benefit you in developing accurate loads. Using the search bar here will get you piles of info, and YouTube is also a great source. Panhandle Precision, Scott Satterlee, Eric Cortina, and Bolt Action Reloading are all good.

There are about 847 ways to skin this cat so you have to decide what makes sense to you.. Feel free to PM with questions.
That’s what I’m beginning to understand lol is there’s so many ways to do it. I’ve been watching some YouTube videos. Got to get the room finished in my basement where all my stuff will go and then going to start slowing buying the equipment and will hopefully be doing that in the next couple weeks, we just moved into a new house so finally have the room to start tinkering. Will definitely pm you once I get all the stuff. Luckily have a gun shop 15 mins away that’s sells equipment so that’s another plus.

OP
Usmcff

Usmcff

WKR
Abc's of realoding By Rodney James was super helpful to me. Has some info on how to recognize signs of over pressures among other things.
I think I’ve heard this one mentioned before. Will pick it up and start slowly collecting different manuals then to help.

Cdav86

FNG
I took a class from a local guy that’s been doing it for the better part of his lifetime. Learned a lot and can always bounce things off of him. Always lots to learn from the old timers. I found his info from a reloading supply spot in town

OP
Usmcff

Usmcff

WKR
I took a class from a local guy that’s been doing it for the better part of his lifetime. Learned a lot and can always bounce things off of him. Always lots to learn from the old timers. I found his info from a reloading supply spot in town
I’ll definitely keep my eye and do some internet searching for classes. Didn’t realize that was a thing.

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I read ABC's of Reloading and a few manuals that I bought prior to starting. I feel I had a pretty good understanding of the process but did make a few minor mistakes. I have since learned that there are lots of really good instructional videos on youtube. If you do not have someone to teach you the ropes, make sure you read as much as you can stand to and watch some videos. It helps to actually see the process after you have somewhat of an idea of the procedure.

LaHunter

WKR
When I got started, I learned a lot from the RCBS website. They had (maybe still have) a section that goes through each basic step and explains the purpose of each step. Also, the Nosler manual has some good info on general reloading basics

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
Start with ABC’s, then pickup a Nosler guide, then watch RCBS YouTube videos right before the specific task you are going to do, then repeat With each new step.

OP
Usmcff

Usmcff

WKR
I'm all for manuals but you should check out Panhandle Precision's Youtube serious on reloading. He has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to reloading and firearms in general.
I’ll check them out!

OP
Usmcff

Usmcff

WKR
T
Start with ABC’s, then pickup a Nosler guide, then watch RCBS YouTube videos right before the specific task you are going to do, then repeat With each new step.
Will do! I actually stumbled upon their page the other day and watched a couple videos that helped fill in some blanks I had, I’m reading the abcs book now then going to read lees modern handloading, and then also been watching rcbs YouTube videos and some of the other channels that have been mentioned when I get tired of reading.

mdp22

FNG
Speer No. 7 manual came with my first RCBS kit and I learned so much from it early on. Reading that helped me understand the basics and as newer reloading techniques/equipment became available I was able to pick and choose what I wanted to add to my kit.

The Lyman 49th Manual and LEE's Modern Reloading are my two favorites. Can't go wrong with either.

mvrk28

WKR
Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting by Bryan Litz. It’s not a reloading manual but it’s got a ton of great information.