Best reloading book for beginners

Tod osier

WKR
I tried searching through the forums for an answer but couldn’t find one. I’m wanting to get into reloading and enjoy reading. What would be the best book to buy just to get an idea of reloading so I can learn the basics, terms, key things to pay attention too, etc. I haven’t bought anything yet to get started but plan to in the next 6 months to a year since things are somewhat returning to normal. I plan on loading for 30-06, 300 WM, 7mm-08, and mostly other rifles. Also would like to work for accuracy but will not really be chasing .25 moa or extreme accuracy, just general hunting use and something to do in my spare time. Thanks in advance!
ABCs of reloading was very disappointing for me, just about the least useful book I’ve ever bought. I bought it because it gets a lot of recommendations, but found it useless. Reloading manuals combined with some industry videos like those suggested here will get you in a good spot,

I'm really just starting reloading too, and while I have several good manuals that go through the basics (Lymans especially), they all stop there. What I really want to understand is load development and more of the technical aspect of how to get a good load.

I get that you start low and load several increasing amounts of powder, or you can vary many of the components of a load, but that just seems like trial and error (which is not all bad, it just doesn't really help me understand what is going on with the load and what happens in the firing process when something changes).

The pdf cited in the other thread - "Dan Newberry’s – Optimal Charge Weight Load Development" was useful, but again, was really just a process.

I don't know - maybe I'm overthinking it, but I like to fully understand how things work. I keep seeing things like "I'm seeing signs of pressure", etc. and I don't really understand what that means. I guess what I really want is to know more about powders, burn rates, differences in primers, etc.. I.e., how do the people that make reloading manuals do it? I don't think they just start low and work up.

I know there is a lot in what I'm asking, but I just haven't seen s soup to nuts reference.

OP
Usmcff

Usmcff

WKR
I'm really just starting reloading too, and while I have several good manuals that go through the basics (Lymans especially), they all stop there. What I really want to understand is load development and more of the technical aspect of how to get a good load.

I get that you start low and load several increasing amounts of powder, or you can vary many of the components of a load, but that just seems like trial and error (which is not all bad, it just doesn't really help me understand what is going on with the load and what happens in the firing process when something changes).

The pdf cited in the other thread - "Dan Newberry’s – Optimal Charge Weight Load Development" was useful, but again, was really just a process.

I don't know - maybe I'm overthinking it, but I like to fully understand how things work. I keep seeing things like "I'm seeing signs of pressure", etc. and I don't really understand what that means. I guess what I really want is to know more about powders, burn rates, differences in primers, etc.. I.e., how do the people that make reloading manuals do it? I don't think they just start low and work up.

I know there is a lot in what I'm asking, but I just haven't seen s soup to nuts reference.
I understand exactly what your saying and I’m one of those people as well. I prefer to understand all aspects especially what doing a+b=c or d. I’ve been searching for that kind of information and videos and I’ve found some but not a lot

As others have said, a reputable reloading manual will definitely get you started. My first reloads were simply a goal to do the basics right. Case prep, die setup, good fundamental loading technique. Then buy components that are known to generally produce good results for that caliber. Be consistent. If you don’t have a finicky rifle or caliber, the basics you learn in a reloading manual and good technique will likely be enough for the goal you stated.

As a followup and as posted in another thread, I've been messing with GRTools for the past few evenings, and I've learned a ton. I've been putting in loads from my Nosler and Lyman manuals and seeing how they come out, what the ladders do, and varying components (bullets, powder types, etc) and reloading parameters to see what happens. Cheap and easy way to get your head around things without having to burn powder... or worry about blowing yourself up...