Best rifle/caliber for entry level mule deer and elk hunter?

ChunkyD

FNG
I am new to hunting and looking for recommendations for a good rifle/caliber for Elk and Mule deer.

hodgeman

WKR
The market is awash in possibilities. Price range or other consideration?

Any reasonable rifle in 6.5CM, .270, 7-08, .308, 30-06, etc. will kill anything in N. America for much further than most people should ever attempt too. For example- a Tikka in .30-06 or .270 is hard to argue against. Most exhibit good to great accuracy with hunting ammunition and they hold up well in the field.

Don't overthink this. A good rifle, a good scope, and good ammunition doesn't have to cost a fortune. Good shooting is much more determining that brand name.

OP
C

ChunkyD

FNG
Thank you for the feedback! I would say I am looking to spend $1500-$2000 at the most! What scope power would you recommend? Not looking to take crazy long shots, I would say 2-300 yards at most.

hodgeman

WKR
Thank you for the feedback! I would say I am looking to spend $1500-$2000 at the most! What scope power would you recommend? Not looking to take crazy long shots, I would say 2-300 yards at most.

You can easily get a completely serviceable rifle for well under $2000. A Tikka T3, a Leupold or similar 3-9x40 and some Federal ammo can be had under a $1000 with careful shopping and a Ruger American "package" rifle for half that. I've got both, and either one could fufill a lifetime of hunting requirements.

It's hard to go wrong with a decent 3-9x40 scope for the type of hunting you describe. If you're talking 300 yards, no need to dial, etc. You need decent glass with strong and repeatable adjustments. That's it. And there are over a dozen on the market that will work fine. Leupold, Vortex, Burris, Nikon all make good quality scopes that go for $200-300.

OP
C

ChunkyD

FNG
You can easily get a completely serviceable rifle for well under $2000. A Tikka T3, a Leupold or similar 3-9x40 and some Federal ammo can be had under a $1000 with careful shopping and a Ruger American "package" rifle for half that. I've got both, and either one could fufill a lifetime of hunting requirements.

It's hard to go wrong with a decent 3-9x40 scope for the type of hunting you describe. If you're talking 300 yards, no need to dial, etc. You need decent glass with strong and repeatable adjustments. That's it. And there are over a dozen on the market that will work fine. Leupold, Vortex, Burris, Nikon all make good quality scopes that go for $200-300.

Thank you!

dla

WKR
Ya know, the biggest struggle is to learn to shoot. I'm not talking about sitting at a bench , but rather hunting shots.
Among other things, learning to shoot requires shooting - and lots of it. So I usually recommend a cartridge available in Remington Express (green/yellow) box less than $20/20 at WhateverMart. (Or reloading g).
(270,308,30-06) - you still get cheap .308 by the case for plinking and plinking is important.
Personally, I'm a throwback - I prefer a fixed 4x scope. I use my binos when I want to glass an area.
I can set up a Tika T3 Hunter for $1000 and use the savings to shoot.
I would guess that every rifle I've gotten comfortable with I have put at least 500 rounds through it. The old rule of thumb was 1 shot for every yard of distance.

OP
C

ChunkyD

FNG
Ya know, the biggest struggle is to learn to shoot. I'm not talking about sitting at a bench , but rather hunting shots.
Among other things, learning to shoot requires shooting - and lots of it. So I usually recommend a cartridge available in Remington Express (green/yellow) box less than $20/20 at WhateverMart. (Or reloading g).
(270,308,30-06) - you still get cheap .308 by the case for plinking and plinking is important.
Personally, I'm a throwback - I prefer a fixed 4x scope. I use my binos when I want to glass an area.
I can set up a Tika T3 Hunter for $1000 and use the savings to shoot.
I would guess that every rifle I've gotten comfortable with I have put at least 500 rounds through it. The old rule of thumb was 1 shot for every yard of distance.

Yessir! I have been leaning toward a 30-06. When you say hunting shots do you mean standing/kneeling etc?

hodgeman

WKR
Yessir! I have been leaning toward a 30-06. When you say hunting shots do you mean standing/kneeling etc?

That's entirely driven by where you hunt. I typically hunt open mountains and tundra and I shoot mainly from supported positions like prone or sitting. An eastern whitetail hunter might never shoot from either and most likely shoot off hand. The terrain dictates the position. Check out Cooper's "Art of the Rifle" for a more in depth look at where and when different positions work and the pros and cons of each.

How much have you shot? Are you recoil sensitive at all? If so I’d stick with the 7-08 or 6.5 creedmoor. My tikka 7-08 is a very soft recoiling rifle with the aftermarket sims recoil pad on it. I think you’d have more fun and probably be more comfortable with a round like that than with the 30-06. Not that you couldn’t do it but if you’re a brand new shooter the 06 might be a little more than you’d want to shoot a lot. Whatever you get, post up some pictures and let us know.

come2elmo

WKR
I got a Tikka T3 .270 with Leopold scope all for around $1100 and couldn't be happier.
This but I would also take a look at a good ol Rem 700. If it gives you any trouble you can find a gunsmith with every part imaginable and the knowledge to fix it just about anywhere on the planet.

OP
C

ChunkyD

FNG
That's entirely driven by where you hunt. I typically hunt open mountains and tundra and I shoot mainly from supported positions like prone or sitting. An eastern whitetail hunter might never shoot from either and most likely shoot off hand. The terrain dictates the position. Check out Cooper's "Art of the Rifle" for a more in depth look at where and when different positions work and the pros and cons of each.

I appreciate the book recommendation, I will absolutely buy a copy and give it a read. Thanks again for all of the useful information!

OP
C

ChunkyD

FNG
How much have you shot? Are you recoil sensitive at all? If so I’d stick with the 7-08 or 6.5 creedmoor. My tikka 7-08 is a very soft recoiling rifle with the aftermarket sims recoil pad on it. I think you’d have more fun and probably be more comfortable with a round like that than with the 30-06. Not that you couldn’t do it but if you’re a brand new shooter the 06 might be a little more than you’d want to shoot a lot. Whatever you get, post up some pictures and let us know.

I have shot a friends 30-06 5-6 different occasions growing up, that was one of the main reasons I was going to choose that caliber. I was semi-familiar with the caliber and from everything I read it was one of the better all around big game calibers.

OP
C

ChunkyD

FNG
This but I would also take a look at a good ol Rem 700. If it gives you any trouble you can find a gunsmith with every part imaginable and the knowledge to fix it just about anywhere on the planet.

This was the exact model 30-06 I was thinking of getting!

All American Boy

Lil-Rokslider
270, 308, 30-06, 7mm, 300, all have lots of ammo choices and will kill elk and muleys, with good shot placement, all day long. Tikka (personal favorite), Ruger, Remington, Savage, again, will all do you well. Leopold, Burris, Nikon, in a 3x9 will all work great out to 300 yards+. Elk need a little extra punch, they call them cows and bulls for a reason ;). That said, if you are recoil sensitive go on the lighter end of the scale.

Imo tikka is the best value going for an “entry” priced gun. A lite in stainless can be had well under a grand and is a hell of a rifle.

For calibers, I think there is some wisdom to a 6.5 creed or 308. Particularly the cheap practice ammo that can be had for 308.

3006 is supposed to be the jack of all trades round. The extra recoil and extra ammo costs may or may not be worth it to you. I would stay away from a magnum of any kind. It is a painful and expensive caliber to learn on. Too harsh to learn really good fundamentals out of the gate.

Also, if you don’t already have one, a 10-22 or Ruger American 22lr bolt gun is a heck of a trainer. 50 yard target and a brick of ammo is a great way to get some cheap and painless rifle practice.

TreyPound

FNG
In my 40 some years of elk hunting, I've never seen the need to shoot an elk at over 400 yards, let alone 500 or 600 yards.

With proper bullet placement, deer are not hard to kill with just about any caliber bullet, so the OP's question basically applies to elk and moose. I shot most of my elk and both of my Shiras moose with .30 caliber bolt action rifles. For over 20 years my favorite elk (and moose) rifle was my .30 Gibbs shooting 180 grain Partitions at just under 3000 fps (similar to 300 Winchester velocities). Like Flags posted, the 7mm Rem mag is a great elk (and moose) rifle. I started hunting elk back in the late '60s when I moved to Steamboat Springs in northwestern Colorado. The guys that I worked with that had grown up there recommended a .270 Win or .30-06 for elk. They said that only the city dudes from Denver hunted with a .300 Win. I now see a lot of .300 Wins in the elk woods here in Montana.

My favorite elk rifle now is my .300 Weatherby. With its KDF muzzle brake and its in stock recoil reducer, it kicks less than my .308 Winchester. The elk that I've killed with this rifle and Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets at 3250 fps produced less meat damage than the Partitions at 3000 fps did.

Like Mthusker posted, I can't remember seeing anyone back in Colorado or here in Montana hunting elk with an auto loading rifle, but I'm sure there must be one or two guys that come here from back east that do.a