Best rifle Mule deer unit for rifle hunt

BCDeer

FNG
What does everyone consider as being the best Mule Deer unit to rifle hunt in Oregon? I know overall that the hunting compared to a lot of other states is not great but I am sitting on 20 non res points. Plenty for Steens but not enough yet for Trout creek.

OP
B

BCDeer

FNG
I was just told this question was offensive asking about which unit is best or another unit suggestion so if you think that is the case no need to reply.

Wapiti1

WKR
I don't know that I agree with that. It's pretty easy to figure out which units offer the best trophy potential and have limited tags (and corresponding tough draw odds). Eastmans and Huntinfool have that covered.

It's not the same question as asking what is the best Colorado OTC archery unit. There are few secrets on premium LE units. That said OR gets little airplay and I would suspect quite a few folks would like to keep it that way.

I can't give you a bead on Oregon since I know little about that state. I can say how I approach tag decisions. I would approach it from the type of hunt that I want standpoint and see which unit I could draw that satisfies my wants. Season dates, amount of public land, and terrain.

A 150" buck done the way I want is better than a 180" buck that I didn't enjoy hunting. YMMV on that though.

Jeremy

Where ever you decide you need to spend a good amount of time scouting. Even the “good” units aren’t what they used to be. Oregon still has some good bucks but a guy has to scout and hunt hard on public land to find/kill them. Good luck.

Whoever thought your question was offensive should grow a pair.

OP
B

BCDeer

FNG
I had initially wanted to hunt the Steens since that was an area my uncle hunted alot. He is gone now but was always my hunting idol growing up. Over the last few years all the reviews on that area says lots of hunters lots of campers and not many bucks. That is why I started thing about the Trout Creek area. After so many years of applying I of course would like a decent 4 point. Am I missing any other units that take alot of points but can be good? I'm only looking for a rifle hunt.