Best ROI on upgrades for November elk hunting

I would rather have a Vortex Fury Hd than any alpha and separate RF.
The above comments about the geovids don’t give me a ton of confidence. Seems like you are partial to the fury’s too. Why is that? What do you like and not like about them?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The above comments about the geovids don’t give me a ton of confidence. Seems like you are partial to the fury’s too. Why is that? What do you like and not like about them?

Not partial. I was just making an example that I would rather have Vortex level ok glass with a rangefinder than the best glass without for a 8-10x Bino. The Fury 5000 HD AB is fine. Glass is useable. The Fury’s, Nikon Laser force, and others that are the same Bino all seem to be very reliable with regards to the laser. I’ve primarily used two Nikon Laser Force’s since 2018 personally because I had six alpha Bino LRF’s give problems in the cold side by side. It was one of the Nikon’s that got a range in very cold temps and blowing snow on an elk when two other alphas could not range.

As for the Geovids, I would take it all as information. A couple of years ago my experience wasn’t great with them. The last few newer ones I’ve seen have had no issues at all in cold or otherwise.

Not partial. I was just making an example that I would rather have Vortex level ok glass with a rangefinder than the best glass without for a 8-10x Bino. The Fury 5000 HD AB is fine. Glass is useable. The Fury’s, Nikon Laser force, and others that are the same Bino all seem to be very reliable with regards to the laser. I’ve primarily used two Nikon Laser Force’s since 2018 personally because I had six alpha Bino LRF’s give problems in the cold side by side. It was one of the Nikon’s that got a range in very cold temps and blowing snow on an elk when two other alphas could not range.

As for the Geovids, I would take it all as information. A couple of years ago my experience wasn’t great with them. The last few newer ones I’ve seen have had no issues at all in cold or otherwise.
Ah, I see now. Is it safe to assume the glass on the geovids is better than the furys?

Is there a difference in quality of glass in a range finding vs non range finding bino?

On the same brand/model, the glass is the same on RF vs non-RF versions. However, the lens coatings are different on some RF versions to allow for the laser to pass through an objective lens with reduced resistance. The result is slightly less maximized light transmission and lightly altered color representation. There are also differences in light transmission between the left tube and the right tube of RF binos, with less coming through in the tube with the laser.

This doesn't apply to all models, especially ones like the Leica 3200.com that has a separate center-mounted laser transmission lens.

To my eye, resolution isn't noticeably affected, but color differences are visible (more amber/warm in the RFs than the non-RFs). The non-RF image is also slightly brighter. Technically there is a low-light difference, but practically speaking you might not be able to notice it.

The alpha class RF binos still have extremely high quality glass. For the context of this thread, I don't elk hunt, but I can't imagine the image quality between RF and non-RF in the same model would make a difference for that use (if your main use is bird watching and wildlife viewing, it might be different, along with budget, whether you even really need an RF, etc).

Blue72

WKR
I’m a big fan of 12x/15x on a tripod….even when glassing several miles away

big views start at 15x in Binoculars……but 12x are more handholdable during hiking and more affordable

so pick whats more important to you

Mhopper5

Lil-Rokslider
What is it about the cold that affects them so much or was this non cold weather related?
Has anyone considered the battery they are using? Is it a quality battery? Is it fresh? Do the battery specs say it will operate at low temperatures? I don’t know the power consumption of the laser but I imagine it requires a small burst. I think too many people get hung up on the binos and don’t consider the weakest link. I have used mine extensively with no issues. I always use the energizer lithium batteries and replace them just before hunting season if it needs it or not.

That being said I don’t use them much anymore as a primary bino. The extra element for the heads up display affects their brightness. Currently my primary is an ultravid. Much brighter and sharper than geovid. Enough to forgo the LRF.

Yep first post.

DudeBro

Lil-Rokslider
I have definitely though about renting.
In your situation, I would 100% rent. Specifically, I would rent 10x42 EL Range TAs for $30/day (can sometimes get a discount for longer rental periods). I've rented from optics4rent.com on 3 occasions and every time has been a no-fuss transaction.

I will have a good tripod and adaptor for my binos next time, as it made a big difference in my effectiveness.
My recommendation would be to call Joel at @Camera Land and buy the Sirui T-024SK with VA-5 Fluid Head. They give Rokslide members a worthy discount.

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
In your situation, I would 100% rent. Specifically, I would rent 10x42 EL Range TAs for $30/day (can sometimes get a discount for longer rental periods). I've rented from optics4rent.com on 3 occasions and every time has been a no-fuss transaction.

My recommendation would be to call Joel at @Camera Land and buy the Sirui T-024SK with VA-5 Fluid Head. They give Rokslide members a worthy discount.
Thanks! I have a pair of 10x42 Geovids stuck in a USPS facility right now, so I'll have that covered, but I am really interested in renting a pair of 15s next time I head out there. And thanks for the tripod recommendation, I will check them out.

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
Geovids have been in hand for about a week. I'm really excited about them from what I can see, but don't have any real hunting use on them yet. It's certainly way better glass than my Nikons.
I will try to post occasionally as I get some actual use with them.

Dr. Rx

Lil-Rokslider
If your set up is lacking a tripod base bino…
Start there..,
It will make all the difference in the world

Well it didn’t show in the picture, bull on the right has a fork on the right spike, saw it through my scope. Spike only unit requires at least one antler is a spike only. He finally stopped in the open at 501 yards right at sunset. Swarovski 10x42 said he was good to go 338 Jarrett did the rest. Never would have made the shot with poor glass. I call that a good investment.

Attachments

• 4BDA8452-C4D4-48CC-92D1-9461A9F364C4.jpeg
    4BDA8452-C4D4-48CC-92D1-9461A9F364C4.jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 34
OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
Little update.....

The Geovids have been a real pleasure to use. One of the reasons I wanted to own RF binos instead of renting is that I wanted to be absolutely familiar with how they work. I'm getting to the point now where I feel quite familiar with them.
Last week I ordered a Sirui T-024sk with a VA-5 head and an Aziak bino adapter for them. I was out tonight picking up whitetails over 1.5 miles away with this system. The glass really comes into its own when tripod mounted and in the final moments before it gets dark.
I can't wait to get to glass elk country with these.

Seeknelk

WKR
I myself , I can't see ever buying alpha rangefinding binoculars. Only reason is that the technology changes so fast on rangefinders and ballistic solvers. Also, it seems like they have a limited life compared to pure binos which basically last forever.
Unless I had unlimited funds or REALLY , REALLY need to kill a thing.

I myself , I can't see ever buying alpha rangefinding binoculars. Only reason is that the technology changes so fast on rangefinders and ballistic solvers. Also, it seems like they have a limited life compared to pure binos which basically last forever.
Unless I had unlimited funds or REALLY , REALLY need to kill a thing.
Does make it easier to get an accurate reading than having to re-aquire the target (hopefully) with a potentially significantly smaller magnification range finder.

Seeknelk

WKR
Does make it easier to get an accurate reading than having to re-aquire the target (hopefully) with a potentially significantly smaller magnification range finder.
Absolutely!
If I could , I'd have a few of each around. Just saved up and got NLs 12x after about 13 years of 10x50 trinovids. Just finally enough of an optical advantage to move up.
I should at least move to a rangefinder with good solver.