Best saddle bags?

GueroUlt

FNG
Hi all,

I’m newer to horses and am wondering what the best saddle bags are that you guys have come across for outdoor/hunting applications? Thanks! Pic of my new guy chip, I’m excited to get out with him in 2024

OP
G

GueroUlt

FNG
I prefer a heavy canvas that are tough but reasonably light. I try to focus on cargo weight to limit the weight on the horses kidneys. A couple of quarts of water and the remaining available load can be limited.

I have elk hide saddle bags that are too heavy but I made them. Over the years I have used a number nylon ones but found them somewhat wimpy. A pair of heavy canvas I bought in early 70 is still very usable even though I have upgraded the straps a couple times.

Brooks

WKR
You can buy nice expensive A9B147DF-2DE4-409B-A3C8-7F3AABE43406.pngleather saddle bags but these have been tough as nails. We ride and pack in some hell holes and they do take a beating and still in great shape. Bought mine from Outfitter Supply.
I bought a really cheap pair once and destroyed them on the first ride.

Was curious as down to one horse who hasn’t packed yet and to be honest new to it myself was hoping tinise some saddle bags and my backpacking gear to do 1-2 nights with just one horse and if successful use my saddle pannier and lead him out anyone doing this or just too much gear for a horse and rider with saddle bags

Doesn't care. They are lighter than my elkhide bags. I think the issue is weight and distance. You can load heavy for a few miles or lighten the load for a long distance.

A half of an elk is typically 120-200 lbs.(quarters). When I do wood kitchen panniers plus tent and sleeping bags, I'm probably at around 110-130. When I'm riding figure 50# for saddle and blankets and I weigh 210 - 230 with gear. Now you are down to age and horse size. I'm pretty comfortable with 150-180 packing and 250 riding for a 900-1100# horse 6- 15 yeras old traveling 14 - 18 miles per day.

The only complaint I remember was an entire elk on a 14 year old gelding for 1.5 miles. Balance was an issue and we had to play outriggers. He was about 1200# and voiced his opinion. We got out without any calamity but he was hard to catch for a week.

The worst was a 350# friend on my 900 # mare. That was a bad mistake and I think it shortened her life. I had to put her down at 24. I got skinnier friends and bigger horses.

So the stories go, a mule in the mines would pull two loaded one ton ore cars ( on rail and down a 2% grade) to the shaft station. Howevr mules can count and when a third was added the mule would flat refuse.

Judgement on your part counts for a lot. Quality of trail, grade and elevation are all components.

Brooks

WKR
Was curious as down to one horse who hasn’t packed yet and to be honest new to it myself was hoping tinise some saddle bags and my backpacking gear to do 1-2 nights with just one horse and if successful use my saddle pannier and lead him out anyone doing this or just too much gear for a horse and rider with saddle bags
You should find out how your horse will do with a dead elk quarter on him before you get in the mountains and find out he’s not going to have any part of packing.

Some horses never blink an eye when you load them for the first time and some will throw a fit.

Hi all,

I’m newer to horses and am wondering what the best saddle bags are that you guys have come across for outdoor/hunting applications? Thanks! Pic of my new guy chip, I’m excited to get out with him in 2024

Just to clarify are you asking about saddle panniers or saddle bags?

What is posted above are small saddle bags, good for packing lunch, rainwear, binos, etc.

Sounds like you might be looking for larger saddle panniers for packing hindquarters, camp, etc?

OP
G

GueroUlt

FNG
Just to clarify are you asking about saddle panniers or saddle bags?

What is posted above are small saddle bags, good for packing lunch, rainwear, binos, etc.

Sounds like you might be looking for larger saddle panniers for packing hindquarters, camp, etc?
Right now I’m looking for recommended smaller saddle bags used for a one day scouting trip. I would eventually like to get a second horse where I would need panniers for packing heavy weight but still starting out and learning the ropes. Luckily I live in a rural area with some trust land I can ride my horse out into so I’ve been doing that. I’m going to get him out on a mountain soon so we can scout out a new hunting area.

I prefer these ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am convinced these are the greatest saddle bags that have ever been made.

I have never found something that lasts longer, doesn’t mold and keeps my shit dry. I put these things away soaking wet all the time… no maintenance ever! Most importantly they are big enough to actually pack a few things.

I cannot recommend them enough!

jthomas

Lil-Rokslider
These are what I'm using now. I like these better than the rawhidegear.com saddle bags

You should find out how your horse will do with a dead elk quarter on him before you get in the mountains and find out he’s not going to have any part of packing.

Some horses never blink an eye when you load them for the first time and some will throw a fit.
Agree we started him with an antelope quarter and then Mike deer quarter just seeing it and smelling it that took a bit then went to the hides but great point !