Best scope and magnification for 7mm rem mag hunting rifle.

Hey guys! I recently purchased a Christensen Arms ELR in 7mm Rem Mag for Elk/Mule Deer primarily. I’m trying to decide on the best scope and magnification for it. My initial thought was a Leupold VX-6HD 4-24X52 or 3-18X44? Both are in the TMOA reticle.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
I went with a Zeiss V6 3-18x50.

I do bakckpack hunts in CO and stand hunting in TX, so I wanted to keep weight down, if possible.

The quality of the Schott glass used in Zeiss scopes with weight under 25 ounces were big factors in my decision.

OP
BlackDog77

I do bakckpack hunts in CO and stand hunting in TX, so I wanted to keep weight down, if possible.

The quality of the Schott glass used in Zeiss scopes with weight under 25 ounces were big factors in my decision.
I definitely need to check out the Zeiss line as well. Thank you

Flyjunky

WKR
Both of those are good scopes and I agree with Scott about the Zeiss scopes.

As far as magnification, somewhere around a 3-15 covers quite a few different scenarios.

The Leupold VX6-HD 3-18x44 that you were initially considering is a great scope. I have two of them and find them to be just the right combination of crisp optics, repeatable accuracy, size, ruggedness, and especially weight (21oz). They are a great all-arounder for a hunting rig.

Mosby

WKR
The Leupold VX6-HD 3-18x44 that you were initially considering is a great scope. I have two of them and find them to be just the right combination of crisp optics, repeatable accuracy, size, ruggedness, and especially weight (21oz). They are a great all-arounder for a hunting rig.
This^^^^

Wvroach

WKR
There is a vx-6 in the classifieds right now cheap, 800$ less than you can get a vx-5 for. I've been trying not to buy it to let someone else get the deal but its a steal at that price.

I’ve had great success with my VX6 HD and my two VX5 HDs.

the Vortex a razor LHT has a fun season under its belt and the reviews have been very positive. May want to consider them. I have a few of their predecessors and they’ve served me very well.

The previously mentioned Zeiss is a contender. And Nightforce is always on the short list.

Last edited:
There is a vx-6 in the classifieds right now cheap, 800$ less than you can get a vx-5 for. I've been trying not to buy it to let someone else get the deal but its a steal at that price.

You can get a VX5HD for 7-800 if you look hard. I have 2 and have been happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gobbler36

WKR
I just put a ZEISS V4 on my savage ultralight and I’ve been way impressed with it for the price point

i really like the 4-16x magnification range with the 44mm objective I think it’s a good In between for light gathering to weight ratio

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a second V4 you cant go wrong. They are brand new not returns

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I used a 3-9x40 on my 7mag for 2.5 decades for elk and deer. But put a new 4.5-14x50 on it a few years ago just for better clarity and brightness. I don't rifle hunt much anymore, but it sure is clear and bright at the range.

LightFoot

WKR
Anything over 12x can get you in trouble in hunting scenarios, but the high magnification is great at the range. Be sure to keep the scope on Lowe magnification when in the field.

For the all-purpose-all-around hunting rifle, it's hard to beat a lightweight Leupold or Swarovski, depending on your budget. Adjustable turrets will get you out to 400+. Many people can accurately and ethically take deer-sized (and larger) game at 400 yards with a fixed 6x.

All that said, these are some great choices:

Leupold VX-3i (or new VX-3HD) with CDS-ZL
Swarovski Z3 with BT
Nightforce NXS or NX8
Vortex Razor LHT
Zeiss V4

There's a part of me that is jonesing for the Schmidt & Bender PM II 10x42, but it's hard to argue against a variable.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OP
BlackDog77

Thanks for the heads up!

OP
BlackDog77
Anything over 12x can get you in trouble in hunting scenarios, but the high magnification is great at the range. Be sure to keep the scope on Lowe magnification when in the field.

For the all-purpose-all-around hunting rifle, it's hard to beat a lightweight Leupold or Swarovski, depending on your budget. Adjustable turrets will get you out to 400+. Many people can accurately and ethically take deer-sized (and larger) game at 400 yards with a fixed 6x.

All that said, these are some great choices:

Leupold VX-3i (or new VX-3HD) with CDS-ZL
Swarovski Z3 with BT
Nightforce NXS or NX8
Vortex Razor LHT
Zeiss V4

There's a part of me that is jonesing for the Schmidt & Bender PM II 10x42, but it's hard to argue against a variable.

These are some great options! I was looking at the Nightforce NX8 in 2.5-20x50. What are your thoughts on that scope and would you go with first or second focal plane? Thank you

LightFoot

WKR
These are some great options! I was looking at the Nightforce NX8 in 2.5-20x50. What are your thoughts on that scope and would you go with first or second focal plane? Thank you
It's a great scope. If you are gonna use the reticle to measure/hold, go FFP, if not, SFP.

I've been more interested in NX8 1-8x for a hunting optic. Lighter, more compact, and capable to extend to 400+.

For the money, I think the Swarovski Z3 or even Z5 is a better "hunting" optic in that price range, but NF is rarely, if ever, a wrong choice.

SDHNTR

WKR

Same scope on my 7mag for similar reasons.