Best scope for holdovers

What scope/reticle pairing and magnification range would you chose if you had to use it for holdovers instead of dialing for your distance?

I know there must be asother services around that do custom reticles for other brands of scopes but LEUPOLD Custom Shop will take your Leupold scope and all the data for your load/rifle and build you a hold over reticle for YOUR outfit - I see quite a bit of dissin' on Leupold Scope, virtually any (albeit dialing) is unwarranted - Leupold's website posts clearly how to contact them and you can get a custom shop tech on the line who will guide you through the whole process - I have a 3.5 x 10 x 40mm VARI-x that had a holdover reticle installed OVER 12 years ago for my .300 Jarrett that is still spot on out beyond 800 yards and the reticles are very reasonably priced - give them a try

OP
MuleyFever
I have not looked at anything in particular. I am thinking of getting my wife something she can use. I am thinking it would be easier for her if she knew what mark to use rather than me telling her to hold over so much.

OP
MuleyFever
I know there must be asother services around that do custom reticles for other brands of scopes but LEUPOLD Custom Shop will take your Leupold scope and all the data for your load/rifle and build you a hold over reticle for YOUR outfit

I will have to look into this. Can you send them a scope or do you have to buy one new through the custom shop?

OP
MuleyFever
I have a Vortex 4-12 with a BDC reticle. Have used on elk out to 500yds. Works great with a little practice at the range.

Brings up another question. How far do you guys think is a good max effective range using the reticle for holdovers?

zpooch

Lil-Rokslider
Brings up another question. How far do you guys think is a good max effective range using the reticle for holdovers?

This depends on what round you're shooting and the conditions you are shooting in. And most importantly, what you have practiced, not what your ballistic app says you can hit.

204guy

WKR
As much as I dislike Leupold for dialing I'd vote for the FX-II or FX3 6x with the lrd, if you can find one for a holdover type scope. I've set my wife and a couple others up with them and they work well for them. Reason being is raw simplicity, don't have any of the second focal plane issue's, very simple and uncluttered reticle. With any spritzer bullet at somewhere around 2950FPS the lrd works out to a 200 yd zero then 300 second dot 400 third dot, again very simple. No wind holds, which is fine because they're not skilled enough to need them, to windy and we're getting closer or not shooting.

I think around 400 maybe 500 yds is a good max for a holdover reticle. Beyond that most can't adapt to the increased variables of inputs needed. The few that can are extremely complex for novice's.