Best scope for the $ right now? Maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.
id also be wary if these are final runs and clearing out stuff . end of production runs could be shoddy slap together work. i just returned a AR 1000 lighted reticle scope. it had gotten great reviews but the one i got looked like fish eye dizziness. was never a fan of BDC reticles or open circle reticles. they would get lost on any dark targets and for me too busy. wonder what warranty will be . my guess is they wont fix or replace if there not in the scope selling business anymore.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
FYI, Nikon is going to stop making rifle scopes altogether. So keep that in mind when purchasing their products.

No offense intended to the OP
None taken.

I've elected to use the Nikon warranty twice in the past 4 years, and they were flawless. Second time, they couldn't repair the scratched lenses on a pair of binocs (I was willing to pay to have them repaired) so they just replaced them with a brand new pair at no cost. I even told them I wasn't the original owner. Not sure how much better CS you can ask for.

id also be wary if these are final runs and clearing out stuff . end of production runs could be shoddy slap together work. i just returned a AR 1000 lighted reticle scope. it had gotten great reviews but the one i got looked like fish eye dizziness. was never a fan of BDC reticles or open circle reticles. they would get lost on any dark targets and for me too busy. wonder what warranty will be . my guess is they wont fix or replace if there not in the scope selling business anymore.

There is nothing shoddy about the scope I just bought. It's as solid as any other Nikon BDC scope I've used, and I've used plenty over the years.

Geez this place sometimes. LOL If it's not a $300+ scope then it's just gonna fall apart tomorrow. That just isn't true. Nikon is a good company. They have been in the optics business longer than most brands that are household names today.

If you don't like the scope, just don't buy it. No reason to come on a "deal" thread and trash stuff.

Last edited:
He’s just giving folks a heads up that the warranty on scopes isn’t going to be there like before. But honestly I do have to question how solid you think the scope is when you’ve only owned it for a day. Heck it takes me several trips to the range with dialing out to distance and back to zero before I ever think to call a scope solid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

think you missed the point.sorry if you take it wrong. im not trashing anything. its not like say... commenting on a persons item for sale in the classifieds with no intentions of buying and beating it down because it doesnt have a thread mount... nothing constructive about that... for the record ive owned nikons before and think they are good to go mostly. also was commenting on my recent purchase which is relevant to purchasing final production runs. i waited 2 months for the scope to come back in stock and had no idea they were going out. id just be careful or at least want to know that Nikon is going out of the scope business before purchasing. that sale price is just ok. it sells for 119$ not 179$ and found for 99$ at quite a few places online. gotta say in the back of my mind would be visions of a factory full of pissed off workers knowing there not gonna be making stuff anymore and what attention to detail would they even care about.

Last edited:
  • Banned
OP
Newtosavage
If folks bothered to read the very first thing I wrote on this thread before you responded, you would see that I've owned several of these scopes in the past. That is what my opinion is based on. I wonder how many people commenting on this thread have owned this scope before, or have actually used the Nikon warranty.

There is a lot of speculation posted above. Nobody here knows whether this is new old stock or "final production runs."

My apologies for trying to be helpful. I'll be sure to avoid that in the future.

Last edited:
Best scope for the money right now? SWFA 6x42 SS for $199. No better scope under $1000 that will dial and return to zero as reliably except for the $600 SWFA 3-9x42 SS, which is also on sale for $449.

Nikons warranty may have gotten better but there certainly have been issues with repairs over years.

Last edited:
OP
Newtosavage
Nikons warranty may have gotten better but there certainly have been issues with repairs over years.
How about you just start your own thread so you can bash Nikon.

Best scope for the money right now? SWFA 6x42 SS for $199. No better scope under $1000 that will dial and return to zero as reliably except for the $600 SWFA 3-9x42 SS, which is also on sale for $449.
I agree that's a very good deal for people who want a scope they can dial, and who are willing to carry the weight.

How about you just start your own thread so you can bash Nikon.
go back and read. i own Nikons...just tellin my experiences. much better than jumping on someones classifieds and offering your expert opinion on a screw stud. 2000 posts since 2018. wow

Mosby

WKR
My apologies for trying to be helpful. I'll be sure to avoid that in the future.
[/QUOTE]

I actually found this to be very helpful. I have a Nikon BDC scope on a 223 I use for Coyotes. I might stop at Academy tomorrow and buy another. It's a $99 scope and a nice deal. I'm not planning on hunting cape buffalo with it. Thanks.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
go back and read. i own Nikons...just tellin my experiences. much better than jumping on someones classifieds and offering your expert opinion on a screw stud. 2000 posts since 2018. wow

Why would you bash a guy for being involved in the community by “wowing” at his 2,000 posts? Get over yourself lol.

OP
Newtosavage
Oh, I get it now. Thanks for that. ;)

I actually found this to be very helpful. I have a Nikon BDC scope on a 223 I use for Coyotes. I might stop at Academy tomorrow and buy another. It's a $99 scope and a nice deal. I'm not planning on hunting cape buffalo with it. Thanks.

Glad you found it helpful. I'm sure there were others who did as well. I'm not sure where else you will find a scope of that quality for $99, and not all of us are able or willing to spend $350+ on a scope for every one of our rifles. In my experience, this particular Nikon will hang with scopes people are paying $200+ for like the Leupold Freedom series (actually I think this scope is better than the Leupy freedom line) and Vortex Diamondbacks. I compared it to 4-5 $200 scopes in the display cabinet at Academy and the Nikon was as bright or brighter, with better turrets and a good reticle. Not sure what else a person wants for $99. And it's made in the Phillipines, not China.

But hey, if you don't want one, nobody is making you buy one. LOL

Last edited:
One of my favorite non-dialing scopes is a Monarch 2.5-10. Awesome clarity and field of view for timber hunting. Can't comment about this specific scope, but seems like a lot of scope for $99

OP
Newtosavage
Nikons tend to be brighter than a lot of similarly-priced scopes. The BDC reticle isn't for everyone. It took me a little while to warm up to it, but now I like it on some of my rifles. Only thing it gives up to Leupold VX-2 class is a small amount of field of view. Eye relief is still quite good.

HookUp

WKR
Burris Veracity IMO highly overlooked scope. 3x15x50 $415 4x20x50 $609 nib ebay. First plane focal, track great and have hold over reticle

Why would you bash a guy for being involved in the community by “wowing” at his 2,000 posts? Get over yourself lol.
UMMM... if youve been around forums youd know there are people who try to make a living at trolling forums causing trouble and selling crap ideas.connected vendor types and such.not saying this is the case but with 2000 posts in a year kinda much. same person comes to my classified post and craps on my sale by saying it has an issue. guess your new to forums. that many posts in a short time is a red flag. and a bit suspicious to me... peace out!

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
ok, everyone knows where the deal is at and the price, and everyone knows nikon is going out of the scope business, if you wanna take advantage of the deal you know where to go, I am locking this thread from further comments, thanks for the information OP

Status
Not open for further replies.