Best scope with yardage turrets

thnksno

Lil-Rokslider
Hello, trying to keep it simple for my 8 year old daughter. Whats a decent scope out there with yardage turrets? I looked into the kenton industries turret and just switching the MOA one out.

thanks!

PNWGATOR

WKR
SWFA 6x with the milquad reticle. They should have a tax day sale coming. If you want a yardage turret, make your own with a thin piece of athletic tape and a pen.

OP
thnksno

thnksno

Lil-Rokslider
Sh
Do you want to keep it simple for your 8yo daughter or have her turning turrets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She is shooting steel targets already at her age in a club that has over 15 kids that are 8 years old. She would not be using them for hunting because she cannot hunt until age 12. Shooting only and why not start her on something that she will be using the rest of her life than switching it up?

So basically what I gathered from a few of you guys is that she is too young to have turrets on her rifle. I can't think of anything for simpler than the yardage turrets. Read the rangefinder and turn the turrets.

I guess I will have to take her slider site off her bow and go back to the recurve because its too complicated for an 8 year old.

Barnesc6

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been using Vortex PST GenII 3x15 (44mm) FFP for awhile now and it’s worked great. Zero stop is a must, it can dial up and return to zero with no issue... can’t beat vortex customer service and warranty

BCD

WKR
I would think SWFA would be hard to beat considering price and performance to get her started. They don't offer custom turrets or turret labels though but I think you can have them made by others.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Did you use a chronograph to verify her velocities? You’ll need to get a working average velocity as a start. Please don’t just go off the box velocity and expect yardage turrets to work.

Reactions: BCD

tdot

WKR
I would tape a Dope chart on the butt stock.

Range
Look at Dope, read MOA and number of clicks
Dial scope.

Only 1 more step, but she sounds like she can handle it.

Small corrections are easier to make.

A helper/spotter can call out info to her.

She wont have to relearn something as she progresses.

Sounds like she has a good teacher. Nice work!

BuckSnort

WKR
Sh

She is shooting steel targets already at her age in a club that has over 15 kids that are 8 years old. She would not be using them for hunting because she cannot hunt until age 12. Shooting only and why not start her on something that she will be using the rest of her life than switching it up?

So basically what I gathered from a few of you guys is that she is too young to have turrets on her rifle. I can't think of anything for simpler than the yardage turrets. Read the rangefinder and turn the turrets.

I guess I will have to take her slider site off her bow and go back to the recurve because its too complicated for an 8 year old.

Ok, I apologize for somewhat of a dickhead reply by my part.. I don't think you could go wrong with a SWFA 6X.. (under $300) Just cut a 1/4" strip of white electrical tape and stick it abouve the MOA/MIL numbers and run it through a ballistic program to know where to write in the yardage marks (see attached picture) .. Having said that, I'd skip the yardage marks and just teach her how to use a DOPE card like someone mentioned above..

FWIW we shoot the 6X out to 860 yards regularly.. And sometimes out to 1000... Awesome scopes

Attachments

• yardage sticker.jpg
    yardage sticker.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 53
Reactions: BCD

Travis2282

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, I apologize for somewhat of a dickhead reply by my part.. I don't think you could go wrong with a SWFA 6X.. (under $300) Just cut a 1/4" strip of white electrical tape and stick it abouve the MOA/MIL numbers and run it through a ballistic program to know where to write in the yardage marks (see attached picture) .. Having said that, I'd skip the yardage marks and just teach her how to use a DOPE card like someone mentioned above..

FWIW we shoot the 6X out to 860 yards regularly.. And sometimes out to 1000... Awesome scopes
Did this on my VX6 on my 375HH in Africa last year. Worked like a champ!

AGPank

WKR
Kids are pretty amazing, nowadays are growing up in a time when there’s never a reason not to know the answer to a question. Tell her she’s learning projectile motion, which is college level physics.

You may start opening her mind to a limitless future instead of one where girls are pressured not to like math and sciences. Sounds like you are off to a great start with her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leupold with a CDS dial is an awesome and very simple setup. You really should verify muzzle velocity as mxgsfmdpx mentioned above. Reading box is not sufficient especially depending on your gun setup. Can get a decent one for $100 or people at the local range have them and will let you borrow in many cases.