Best scopes under $1500

Datslab

FNG
I am looking for a new hunting scope and have a budget of up to $1500. I am by no means a glass snob as I only have experience with budget scopes, but I do know with glass you get what you pay for. Basically I am just looking for a mid range scope that is of good enough quality that I will be happy with it for a few years.

I typically like high magnification (20x +) but think I could be fine with a 15 power on the high end. The features I am looking for are etched reticle, illumination, ffp, functions well in low light (illumination helps overcome this so not super critical), not overly heavy, and good warranty.

I have been looking at vortex stuff because I have found some decent deals on them online but am willing to look at other companies. The LHT 3-15 & 4.5-22 and the PST gen 2 5-25 are the ones I have been considering. I included lightweight as a feature I’m looking at but it’s not a make or break thing because at a certain point ounces equal hundred dollar bills and it adds up quick. Also I would gladly add a few ounces if it makes up for it by being more robust and better tracking.

I plan to go and look through a bunch of scopes but figured I could get some good information here from people with experience in decent scopes.

Last edited:

Lee_R

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the specs, I've got the PST Gen 2, it's heavy and you mentioned that's a consideration. I've not looked through an LHT, but it's a step up in glass quality per vortex. I've got zero complaints with my Gen 2, and suits my shooting style and needs. Vortex is one of several companies that warranty the electronics as well as the glass on their illuminated scopes, some others don't, so be mindful of that when shopping, it's one of the reasons I chose vortex.

JakeSCH

WKR
I have been slowly phasing out all my scopes for Maven RS.5's (i have 3 now) and put them on anything that I don't mind the extra 5 to 6 oz compared to my LHT.

That said I still have the LHT on my lighter weight 6.5 PRC, my RS.5s are on my 338 RUM, 300 WM, and 7 RM.

gregb6

FNG
I have been slowly phasing out all my scopes for Maven RS.5's (i have 3 now) and put them on anything that I don't mind the extra 5 to 6 oz compared to my LHT.

That said I still have the LHT on my lighter weight 6.5 PRC, my RS.5s are on my 338 RUM, 300 WM, and 7 RM.
What do you compare that rs5 to?

LaHunter

WKR
You may want to look at the NF SHV 4-14 f1 scope. The top end power is a little under your specs, but the SHV line of scopes are still NF quality. I have 2 of the 5-20X56 sfp scopes that I have been happy with.

Dreeko

FNG
Bushnell LRHS/LRTS in 4.5-18. Both can be had for around $800 on the used market with or without an illuminated reticle. Or you could look at the new Bushnell LRHS 2 from GA precision for around $950. They updated the glass but the new version does not have illumination.

They are very robust, have always tracked well, and both models punch way above their price points.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Might as well include Sightron SIIIs if you are looking at upto a $1500 price point. Extremely tough with good tracking. Non-illuminated are quite a bit under that and some IR models are near your max.

MidwayUSA has several on sale right now and Camera Land has some too.