Best season to date!

Justenfl

FNG
So far this year has been my very best hunting season that I've ever had and I haven't pulled the trigger or let an arrow fly once, let me explain. Do I got to do a public land hunt that's a quota only hint with my brother on a place that we grew up hunting as kids with our dad. He drew the permit and it allows him to bring a guest and we share the bag limit. Like all things we both have kids and we haven't hunted together in probably 8-10 years because our schedules never line up and werw always busy. Neither one of us shot anything but we spent 4 days hunting a swamp and cabbage palm hammock we had sat in probably 20 years ago had good sign saw deer but couldn't connect (archery). The time spent together brought back so many good memories and I laughed more in those 4 days then I have in a long time. It was about a mile hike in every morning and afternoon and 87° degrees and poured on us twice (central Florida) this is a pic of my brother and I bringing our stands out the last day.
20191013_083751.jpg

Fast forward 3 weeks and I posted about this last week or so I got to sit in the stand with my oldest when he shot his first deer ever. Was such a proud dad moment and was so thankful I could share it with him.
20191026_091136.jpg

A week later I figured I would try to take my youngest on a spot I've seen some hogs as I figured that would be a little easier on him (and me). He made and awesome shot and at the age of 6 shot himself a dandy hog, all by himself.
20191110_162931.jpg

So in florida we can only shoot does during archery and then for 4 days during general gun. I have had been saving this spot all season for my wife and kids to be able to hunt because we have had several does coming into the area. So it was the wife's turn. It's a perfect spot to funnel the deer just hard access because it's a deep cypress swamp. So pretty much its waders or hip boots only to access it. So my wife and awesome best friend she puts up with all of my time away when I'm hunting, spending tons of money on hunting stuff and never says anything about it. She really likes duck hunting and had been asking me about taking her deer hunting so after several attempts to put her on a deer in the past she was able to seal the deal on this nubbin buck, (legal to take during anterless deer season) I even asked her if she was sure it was a doe and not a nubbin buck and she told me she didnt see any little antlers sticking up.(made for a good teaching lesson). But none the less she was able to shoot her first deer.
received_459379748022450.jpeg
And of course me making the long tote back
received_2988565074509730.jpeg
My plans were to only shoot 2 deer from this stand to keep from blowing it out, and after my youngest did such a good job with the hog he was up for a deer. So the next day my oldest youngest and me set out for an afternoon hunt hoping we would get lucky and see a deer come in range for the little man to try and shoot one. So we were all 3 in the stand cramped and apparently they thought it would be a good time to take a nap.20191124_153754.jpg
So I woke them up when it was about an hour before dark and handed little man the gun. 30 mins later a big ole Suzy doe came out and messed around for 15 mins with no shot. I told my youngest to wait until she was broadside and then squeeze the trigger where we had practiced. BOOM! she only ran 20 ft, and big brother and me got to bloody his face so he could honor the deer.
20191124_175644.jpg
And with big brother by his side
20191124_175532.jpg
And me making that long tote through the swamp again
20191124_180151.jpg

I'm not sure I'll ever be able to top a season like this but I know I'll never forget it. I guess I can try one day when the boys bless the wife with grandkids (hopefully not for a long time).
Anyways just wanted to share this amazing season with you guys and thanks for reading.

Ddog

WKR
Heck yeah, congrats to all! Can't wait for my little dude to start coming along. He'll be scouting with me this spring.

TBHasler

WKR
Awesome post and great experiences. Cool thing...those boys (and Mom & Dad) will tell and re-tell their "first time" story for the rest of their lives. Congrats on putting in the effort to experience this with the whole family!

backstraps01

Lil-Rokslider
Love stuff like this! Man those memories will mean more and far outlast kills of your own
Congrats and great job getting them on game