Best semi auto pig round and rifle ?

Pigs can be taken with a range of calibers and bullet weights, but a big boar will absorb a poorly placed .300wm while a properly placed .22LR will drop them with one shot. It truly is all about shot placement.
i have taken probably hundreds of hogs over the years with a 5.56 55gr shooting out of an AR platform. I have plenty of doubles and triples with that set up, and generally by that time the hogs have scattered to not allow many more shots. I know i have hit a lot on the run that didnt drop, and i am fine with that too, i am
Just trying to eradicate and not collect hogs.
i have taken prob around a dozen or so with a bolt action 22-250.
i have taken a few with heavier calibers too, but if i am on the hog trail i either carry the AR in 5.56 or my 22-250, prefer the AR.
without some sort of NV or thermal it will be impossible to get many opportunities for second shots.

in texas, a lot of guys run one of the 6.5 calibers in an AR platform for hogs with great success. For a while i considered upgrading my hog rifle to something bigger, but the results speak for themselves.

shot placement is huge. Try to put them hust below and a little behind the ear hole. Those hits tend to drop the hog. After the first it is just going for center of mass. I tend to shoot until hog is down and not moving, other than the typical death kick they do when lethally hit.

CHAD PEZZLE

Lil-Rokslider
Do you reload?

Being from California, a major downside to the 6.8 SPC is lack of copper ammo. I hate lugging around an AR10, but if it were me that's what I'd pick. Either .308 or 6.5C.

I used to hunt exclusively with my 6.8 SPC, but ammo availability for copper is almost non existent even before the pandemic.

Wild_Aber

FNG
I searched this and didn't come back with any results, so here it is.
My browning BOSS 30/06 A bolt 2, I am to slow with for a second pig shot, so
I am seriously looking to a lighter round in a semi auto that will still knock a 250 pig off of its feet.
Looking towards a Mini 14 762/39 or I do have a 30 carbine semi auto, but I feel t is to light of a load.
what are your opinions ?
When I was stationed in Texas I worked for a helicopter company that did hog deprivation. For work for farmers we used a 12 gauge with buck shot which did a fantastic job but for customers we always used AK-47s. A 308 is plenty for even big hogs.

def90

WKR
My dad at 70 years old bought an AR in .308 for hunting hogs and deer in NC, floored me, would have never expected it. He loves it, says there is zero recoil and he can shoot it all day.

AR10 would be my personal preference for large sounders in open fields. My all time favorite hog round is a 110gn Barnes blacktip in .300blk for up close & personal work. Low enough recoil, un-supressed to allow for quick, accurate follow ups & it definitely has the gas to do the job!

View attachment 300166View attachment 300167View attachment 300168View attachment 300169View attachment 300170View attachment 300171View attachment 300172View attachment 300173View attachment 300174View attachment 300175
Where’s the model 70?

I know they aren’t semi autos but, if the shots are 200 and under, it’s going to be hard to beat the ole thirty thirty or 35 Remington. Can you say hammer time?

If I was hunting them I'd be using a 556 with gold dots. If I was shooting them (cheaper ammo) probably a 7.62x39 AR.

I shoot 6.5 Grendel at them (night/thermal). It works fine. An AR-10 in 308 would be fine too but prob a little heavier. In the daytime I shoot a marlin 30-30 with a scout scope and have killed 4 out of a sounder multiple times.

Spoonbill

WKR
Looking at the AR 10 but California ?
It may be easier for me to get a Ruger Mini 30 in 308
How about a BAR? You can get them in several calibers, fast follow up since its semi auto and it is magazine fed