Best September EVER!

OP
Steve O

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Good Stuff Steve!!!

Congrats!
Maybe we can add a few "swung up" steelhead this November as well!

Yeah buddy, let’s keep the streak alive! I’m putting in my Arizona spring hunt application in today. I have one under max points for Goulds turkey and I have GOT to draw that soon...

OP
Steve O

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
One more goat hunt base camp pic. Not too many goat hunts this cushy; I count my blessings and am thankful for all of them every day.

407e710034994db7b08d92cf78be7531.jpg

If I could give any advice, it would be to apply for the hunts you want to go on. I drew that goat tag in the random draw (odds were 1:2416 after preference tag was removed) and the musk Ox tag is the 2nd hardest tag to draw in Alaska at less than .2% from what the biologist told me. BUT, that is the only hunt in the WORLD that I could hunt Musk Ox unguided and not in the winter and THAT is how I wanted to hunt Musk Ox, so that is exactly what I applied for and never anything else. I always feel someone has to draw and you can’t draw if you are not applied. Understand each state’s draw system and look at it as an investment in yourself. Quality time in quality places is worth paying for. You don’t have to blindly put in for everything in every state; know what you want to do and apply with purpose. You don’t have to put in for all “blue chip” hunts; I find 2nd tier hunts to typically be awesome. But do apply.

Loved the story, thanks for sharing! And the above is great advice..I always hear folks talking about wanting to go on hunts, yet they beat around the bush when it comes to applying and gathering points.. No better time to start than now! I'm anxiously awaiting a Goulds draw myself.

What a wonderful recap with excellent picture support. Thanks for taking us along. Getting the “Musk Ox Down” text that night put dreams in my mind as I drifted off to sleep.

Congratulations Buddy, you earned those.

Fantastic ! I too have met some great people through hunting from Florida to Pennsylvania and out as far as Wisconsin I have friends that the common bond of hunting have rewarded me with. Congrats on your trips, success and all the memories made.

As usual, I'm very late to offer up my congratulations. But hey....someone has to be last, right? Good, good, GOOD hunting my friend. I can't say it enough times: the magnitude of this year will only get greater as time passes. You're the guy many of us admire and are proud to call our friend. You're a pretty good wordsmith, too! Thank you for letting us look over your shoulder with this story.

mlob1one

WKR
I'm green with envy. That would be a top hunting year in my books.

Beautiful pics. Thanks for allowing me to live vicariously through your adventures.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Fishn4eyes

Lil-Rokslider
That was an awesome September.

I'm turning the big 5-0 next year and can only hope my September has a tinge of your luck in it.

Also, you picked a perfect spot to kill that goat.

Don't see too many flat spots like that in goat country!

Well done, that must have made skinning and boning a delight. :)

NDGuy

WKR
Thanks for sharing the story sir. Congrats on a great year for you!

OP
Steve O

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks guys. I hope your 5-0s turn out great. My son was home from college this weekend so we dug into the freezer for him to try some of the meat.

As you can see from these loins, Musk Ox truly is the best game me I have ever tasted. Look at the marbling! What I did not know until it was too late is the fat tastes better than beef fat on a ribeye. If YOU are lucky enough to kill a Musk Ox, leave a good layer of fat on the steaks, don’t trim it all off like you normally do.

b5263db86244f4a6beec79f0c57b0a0c.jpg

b22affc1f3b5c836b4829739016d078f.jpg

b0fce1acd8214a0314741b7dad4624e5.jpg

I was really worried about the mountain goat. I always hear how tough it is. I hear how strong and gamey it is. Usually I break the hind quarters of my animals into 3 roasts, freeze them and cut them into steaks or chunks for shish kabobs or what not when I pull them out. I decided to just leave this goat roast whole and make pot roast in the crock pot. GREAT call!. Tender and tasty. Goat meat is delicious!

46d4ce6999b9824bc08f59b529e9c774.jpg

54043438d7e7114279a5c585765bd050.jpg

OP
Steve O

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Ahhhh. We looked there from afar but never climbed it or saw the registry.